If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Static Mobile Home a suitable accommodation for me and my son?

  • 12-02-2023 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

    Hi all, I am towards the end of mediation and will be kicked out of the family home. We have joint custody of our 3 year old and I am struggling to find accommodation near his playschool. Her mother owns the property and I was told we were paying a mortgage and basically they are now stating it was rent and that the renovation I spent was exsected of me. It works out to about 40K which ill never get back. The settlement is looking at about 8K only and as property in my area is near to impossible to find, I was looking at the possibility of a mobile home. I have a friend which will let me put one up and has electric, water and sewage. My question is whether this is considered suitable accommodation while I get myself back on my feet. I do not trust my going to be ex wife as she is spiteful and is out to get me even though she cheated. Im concerned that If id get a mobile home, she will say that I am not living in a suitable home and try to take full custody. The reason im considering the mobile home is it will give me time to get myself sorted with debt and building up funds. Should there be anything to worry about?



  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

    It will not be an official house unfortunately

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭elperello

    Does your friend have planning permission to place a mobile home on his property ?

  • Registered Users Posts: 78,193 ✭✭✭✭Victor

    1. Get counselling.
    2. Talk to a solicitor about your rights.
    3. A mobile home will need planning permission and that might not be forthcoming.
    4. I can't comment properly on suitability. Some mobile homes are winter-suitable, others are not. That would go a long way in either direction.

  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Anthony M

    Thanks, Well in terms of legal, the contract is written in a rent to buy format so I don't have legal footing. The parents lied to me and well I do have a few things. They're not registered with the RTB which means also not with revenue, its not insured so the loan which her mum took out is in breach of contract, and the place is technically not up to livable standard. Also they cant kick me out as they have to go through RTB. I personally dont want to live there as its having a impact on my son. I could use all of this but at the end, my son will suffer. Im currently not working and am currently the main carer due to the situation ive been in and im struggling to find somewhere where im not traveling more than 40mins each way to drop off my son. When I crunch the numbers I'll be in debt in about 3 months if I rent. I have two loans which are being halved, ones a home improvement and ones a car loan that work out to 80 a week. She has hardly no money and she will borrow from her mum. Just really dont know how I am going to get out at the moment and was thinking the mobile as a possibility. There will be no planning permission so technically wont be legal. Also you have to be renting for 6 months prior to rent allowance. Have to have a good think Id say.

  • Registered Users Posts: 78,193 ✭✭✭✭Victor

    "Also you have to be renting for 6 months prior to rent allowance." - explain you situation and you might be entitled to something.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Deeec

    This doesn't make alot of sense to a reader - you've written this like we know your situation. Can you write about your situation in simple points and maybe we can help.

    Do you have any family you could move in with temporarily? - this would be a better option than a mobile home.

    Putting an illegal mobile home on a friend's property probably is not a good idea

  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Anthony M

    Her mother brought the place in 2016 for 90K. She used 40K of inheritance and took a 50K loan from the credit union.

    A contract was drawn up saying that the rent was 150 a week and also mentioning the morgage repayments and also saying that once the remainder of the credit union loan was repaid and a sum of 25K to her mum the property would be transferred into our names. It also states that the upkeep of the property would be the responsibility of us. Her mother said that this was a mortgage repayment. Since then, I have spent 8615 euro on maintaining and renovating the property and 27K spent in the 150 a week repayments.

    I quit my job due to stress of working 50+ hours a week and her blaming me for being late. She got a job and made it very clear it was her time to work. She started staying in town, drinking and spending her money on her self while our outgoings were more than our earnings. I tried to talk to her about me returning to work but this was always an argument. Im currently not working as I never know what day she is working as her schedule changes weekly.

    When I confronted her regarding messages I read on her phone regarding a partner she was having an affair, she tried to kick me out and wanted a separation. since the 11th of September.

    Im minding my son about 5 days a week and have not left the family home and am on emergency welfare payment.

    I have spoken to her parents which have made it very clear that it was rent and the money I spent on the place was art of the deal.

    My solicitor has said I can claim the money spent on the place back but because we are married it is halved. In terms of the money spent on so call mortgage as I was lead to believe, there is nothing legally I can do. He did mention that they cannot legally make me move and said to push for some money payed on the property as it was always intended to be transferred into our names.

    I have currently 3600 euro home renovation loan to pay half of and a car loan of 1500.

    our last meeting, it was looking like about 5K settlement which is not enough for me to get my self sorted. I dont have family close and there is no properties in my area. Once there is a fixed schedule in her work schedule, I will seek work as not working is driving me insane. I know rent allowance is 6 months before you can claim.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭enricoh

    Get a large caravan , put in your mates gaff n pretend you're living in his house, caravans his? A mobile home will pee off the neighbors a lot quicker. Best of luck, Keep the chin up.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭herbalplants

    Sorry for your situation. It is dreadful. Remember no matter how stressful a job is, never leave a job without having another job lined up. It is much easier to get a new job when you are in another job.

    I think your wife is playing games with your head, she lost all respect for you and you don't need to be with such a toxic person. You are a couple with a child, you should work together for the welfare of your family.

    You don't seem to see that you have a lot of power, but you need to see that in your own head. You put money in the house, you mind your son... What would she do without you?? Stay around, piss her off... Don't go running to some caravan, mind your son then evening time go and see friends, exercise, get yourself stronger.

    Living the life

  • Registered Users Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

    Register with the council: if you weren't paying a mortgage, you don't own so should be eligible for assistance now.

    Every rule has exceptions.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

    I remember your previous threads about your situation, OP. It's time to lawyer up, and hard. Is your current solicitor an expert in family law? If not, get one who is.

    I also think it would be helpful for you to get some counselling for yourself. You don't seem to handle stress well and I think that has definitely been a contributing factor in landing you in your current situation. Iirc, you left your last job because of stress, but from what I remember it was a relatively low-paying job. The only reason I mention that is that if you want to increase your earning potential, it's likely that any new job will come with higher levels of responsibility and you need to make sure you're able to handle that.

    Lastly, how old is your son? He was 3 last May so he must be nearly 4 by now. Again, the reason I ask is because if he'll potentially be starting school this year, that should somewhat lighten the load in terms of childcare. Have you been availing of the free ECCE hours for him?

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

    You can't be koicked out of a familky home through mediation. Something is not right here.

  • Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭[Deleted User]

    I too remember your previous thread.

    IIRC, your wife took up work so the bills would be paid after you quit your job, and you were supposed to start looking for a new job, but you wanted her to quit her job once you found one. That was last May.

    How's the job search going?

  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭65535

    If you do 'end up' getting a mobile home - get a winterised one - check for these things:

    Insulation, Gas Heater, Double Glazing (Winterised) and Aluminium Chassis - ensure you tie down the mobile home by putting at least 2 x ratchet straps over the roof - similar to what a truck would use to steady a load.

    As for planning permission I had one here but it was hidden from the road and outside so make what you like of that.

    Edit: You'll have to get a sewer pipe put in cold water and electricity - you should meter the electricity or come to some agreement with site owner.

    As for someone not making it out to be a home 'we live in difficult times.'

    Good Luck

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

    OP you need to get better legal advice, don't settle for less than you feel fair and be ready to go to court. Give your wife and her family pulled a fast one on the house already, I'd expect every dirty trick. Also given she was cheating on you and you have a young son, unless they are the image of you I'd get a DNA test done on the quite. Don't tell her you are doing it. If it comes back that they are your son great. If they aren't then you can stay in their life but I'd cut all financial ties.