Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do with my land?

• 12-02-2023 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi all.

I've recently started working in a related industry to farming and I've taken an interest in it. I've helped out on neighbours and relations farms but I'm not from a farming background.

Half way between home and work (so about an hour from home) we have two plots of land (well 3, if the sale of another acre plot falls through) close by one another in the west/midlands, I'd be able to stop by most mornings/evenings and weekends.

There's an acre and a half acre, there's also another acre but that's gone sale agreed (pending planning permission), the half acre is good, uniform shape, soil in the area seems good too. The acre includes a passageway (so 2 entrances) and a steep incline at the front. Both are well fenced, gated, have shelter by way of a tree line and have recently been cleared. A neighbour kept horses on the acre for a few months up until recently.

I'm wondering what I can do with the land, more so for want of a hobby than anything else - I'm not expecting to make any money.

We've no equipment or sheds. Doubt livestock is even an option.

I'm guessing speciality items is the way to go given the size.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Free range pigs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

Interesting, I haven't considered pigs, any reason why pigs?

A friend suggested them too, and mentioned Lamas.

I just want to clarify, it's half an hour from home, not an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know a man who raises saddlebacks on a smallholding.

They don't require much work and only need low level galvanised shelters.

I'm not sure how often you'd need to check up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

Throwing ideas without knowing if they are viable options:

Berries (redcurrant, blackcurrant, gooseberry, blueberry): you sell the fruits, do jams and by planting the cuttings when pruning, you can sell then the new plants the following year (6€ to 10€ in most places and some are really small).

Bees: use the land to plant flowers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vstrom rider

I would say DEUB is on to something. With 1.5 acres there is plenty of room for an orchard too as you can get fruit trees such as apples and pears that only grow to around 2-3 metres tall so need minimal space. Free food for a good few years for minimal outlay.

With veg prices increasing and scarcity in some produce such as tomatoes and chillies a poly-tunnel might also be a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement