Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the charter be updated?

Options
  • 11-02-2023 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭

On the back of so many threads being closed recently as the mod sees "no value in them" despite them being active light hearted threads.

Can we have the charter updated as to what topics are considered to "have value" .

There's already a thread on this in the feedback forum, but maybe it be easier to ask directly of all the after hours mods..what exactly are the topics that are considered worthwhile?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

There’s no list (and I can’t imagine there ever will be) of “approved” topics. You can start a thread about anything in AH (within reason obviously), but that doesn’t mean it will be left open if it shows absolutely no merit.

I did check just for threads I personally closed in the last week or two, I’ve closed four all told (one was temporarily closed and reopened).

One was setup to troll users on another site.

One was a mess and made no sense.

Two had little merit in my opinion and were simply the OP thinking out loud. I don’t think there’s much discussion to be had regarding acronyms for RTE or a neighbour mowing their lawns in February..

besides that the only closures were zombie threads that had been resurfaced or outright trolling.

I’m also bemused to no end that for months and months the site is “dying” because the mods aren’t active then when mods are active the place is falling apart and needs a new charter to tell you what’s permissible to post and not.

My advice if you’re unsure is stop for a second and think to yourself “does this thread lend itself to any discussion? Is it an interesting topic or one that could have a bit of a laugh?”

If the answer is no or unsure it’s probably not worth making the thread. AH is and always has been far more laid back than other forums but there’s still an expectation of posters to use common sense at least.

And as for myself as I’ve said before if you genuinely feel that a thread was closed and it had genuine merit to be open again feel free to DM me and discuss that I have no problem whatsoever in revisiting any decisions I’ve made or indeed explaining why I drew a conclusion to close a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well I thought the rte one was funny. I love that type of word play.

The facial features one was also amusing.

The gardening one was amusing as I think every estate has that one resident that has a ruler to their grass, heaven forbid the grass grows a mm. Observing human nature can be funny once it's not a direct dig at person/culture.

All 3 gave me a giggle anyway so personally I'd find them having value.

Okay, but having a bit of a laugh is not the same as warranting continued discussion though.

Like this isn’t Twitter you know what I mean? That’s the place to post a quip or a silly remark like “RTE? What’s that stand for, rubbish television everyday!!”

As I said on the feedback thread— I’m no ogre. If you feel that I was unfair in a closure message me and I’ll happily take on board what you have to say.

I understand AH is far more laid back than the rest of the site as I said but at the same time it isn’t a dumping ground for moaning about your neighbours mowing the lawns (which in my opinion would be better served in the TA thread) or another thread about RTE.

I will however have another look at the aggressive facial features thread as it does seem that one in particular had more merit behind it than the other two I mentioned.

But I can’t make this point any clearer— if ever something is closed for any reason (other than obviously just trolling) give me a shout and I’ll be happy to reevaluate.

As well as that I am new to doing this stuff and still trying to figure it all out for lack of a better term. I will make some errors and only ask that all of you can understand that sometimes I’ll get it wrong but also I cannot ever please you all. No matter what action I (or any mod) takes it will piss on someone’s cornflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You need to calm down lad, the new buttons seems to have gone to your head.

Lighthearted threads that have no intellectual merit will still attract posters who see value in them.

So basically you're directing us away from boards and onto Twitter..... fantastic!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The entire raison d'etre of AH, is to have a bit of craic. It's rule 1 of the charter.

Keep it lighthearted; serious discussion is catered for elsewhere on the site. The mods utilise the 'Is this thread any craic' test (TM) to determine if the thread is lighthearted enough to stay in AH. So start threads with a view to them being a bit of craic.

A mod closing clearly humourous and ballhopping threads as they are without merit? They aren't meant to have merit, that's the whole point of posting shíte talk threads in AH.

I mean it was bad before, without mods...

Who knew it could plumb new depths 🤷‍♀️

Post edited by banie01 on

If they're without merit, or interest, won't they fall off the front page fairly quickly?

No that’s not what I’m saying at all. My underlying point in as short a way as possible is that if the forum is filled with “junk” (I can’t think of a better word, sorry, no offence intended), then people will be turned away.

of course if everyone thinks their threads are liable to be closed off immediately they will of course also be turned off.

But as I said, a few threads, in two weeks, well it’s hardly an epidemic now is it? Three of them I can appreciate there are people who would like they be opened. So I will go back and review the following closures:

The Alt acronyms RTE thread

the lawn mowing thread

aggressive facial features

the rest of them I am not going to personally entertain their reopening as I have several reasons for closing them and some, believe it or not, were closed for all posters benefits. Such as the thread setup just to troll posters or with an opening post that no one could make heads or tails of.

In any case it’s clear to me by now no matter what I say you’ll be upset so I’m leaving it there for another mod or admin to take the reins here. If you wish to discuss the threads closed in more detail or indeed any other mod action I’ve personally taken please feel free to DM me.

Well the craic test isn't what the mod in question uses.

Two had little merit in my opinion and were simply the OP thinking out loud.

It's whether a thread has merit their opinion.

Clearly 😉

And their last missive makes clear that it's not them that's wrong, it's the kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

So the thread were people describe their daily sh1t which has been running for years has merit? I’m obviously out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

If the thread has relevance to another topic by all means consider combining or merging. But an AH thread that appears to be convoluted or not to the taste of any one moderator? it happens slightly too often. AH is and should be a bit of craic. If a thread is opened for a Kangaroo court that wouldn't last 10 minutes in politics , yes by all means shut it down, but a non sensical hyperbole in AH needs nurturing, they are the most fun. That should be attracting more insight, more posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,657 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I noted the Mod's emphasis with italics about another RTE thread. And as the Charter says, don't use AH where there is a more appropriate forum. I think the poster would find a warm welcome in the Radio forum, where abuse of RTE is rife.

"I understand AH is far more laid back than the rest of the site as I said but at the same time it isn’t a dumping ground for moaning about your neighbours mowing the lawns (which in my opinion would be better served in the TA thread) or another thread about RTE."

Okay, I have obviously gotten some things wrong here.

As I said I’ll review the threads and reopen as necessary, I will also ask that you accept my apologies and please understand I am only trying to do what I think is best for the forum. Nothing else.

The lawn thread & facial features thread I will reopen soon as I’ve had a chance to look at them again already and definitely misjudged, that is clearly evident.

Thanks,

Raichu

Fair play, Raichu, not everyone would acknowledge it.

Threads reopened:

My Neighbours Dad is Stone mad…

Aggressive Facial Features

the others I will review in short order.

Thanks for the feedback folks, it is most helpful indeed. I’m still learning the ins and outs, but I am not infallible and will make mistakes.

Also— please don’t ever feel like you can’t reach out and talk to me about anything I might come across sometimes like a big ogre, but I’m really not.

Fair play.

The lawn one would have died off naturally ( no pun intended), it was just the abruptness of closing an active thread that got me and a pattern seemed to be forming.

Personally I've no issue in inactive threads being closed off (no posts in a week or so I suppose) as the resurrection of Zombie threads is also a pain in the derriere.

The bank holiday one shouldn't be reopened. It was me who pointed out on the thread that the OP was mocking another poster who replied on the other site.

And mocking a perfectly normal and valid post at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

So making a suggestion fir a boards mod to be a mod on another forum is allowed now?

Or is that not allowed?

• Advertisement

that one is not being reviewed full stop. That’s donzo! Completely unacceptable what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I thought moderators were meant to apply the rules not be arbiters on the worthiness or merit of a discussion.

The majority of discussion here is mostly worthless, so you may as well close the site if that's the case.

Am I the only one who likes zombie threads? I enjoy seeing different usernames and what they were talking about at the time.

Well actually now you mention it, there is a nice nostalgic feel to some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Maybe this sub should be moved out of the "social and fun" category?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,172 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Closing threads isn't the problem, closing threads because the mod thinks he is there to judge merit is the problem.

If the mod thinks that is his role then the charter absolutely needs to be updated and the forum renamed accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's the etiquette....is the thread you are looking for.

This thread can probably be closed . I think the issue has resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If AH is for lighthearted and funny threads, why is the Wokeism of the day still open.?

It’s highly political and not funny.

I get the idea of it “PC gone mad” in a funny way is what it should be but the reality is it’s toxic and used to bash people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement