Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 284: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski

Options
  • 11-02-2023 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭

UFC 284

February 12, 2023RAC Arena, Perth, Australia

Main Card

Lightweight Championship

Islam Makhachev(c) vs. Alexander Volkanovski

Interim Featherweight Championship

Yair Rodríguez vs. Josh Emmett

Welterweight Jack Della Maddalena vs. Randy Brown

Heavyweight Justin Tafa vs. Parker Porter

Light Heavyweight Jimmy Crute vs. Alonzo Menifield

Preliminary card (ESPN / ESPN+)

LHW Tyson Pedro vs. Modestas Bukauskas

FW Joshua Culibao vs. Melsik Baghdasaryan

Fly* Shannon Ross vs.Kleydson Rodrigues

LW Jamie Mullarkey vs. Francisco Prado

Early preliminary card (ESPN+ / UFC Fight Pass)

FW Jack Jenkins vs. Don Shainis

WSW Loma Lookboonmee vs. Elise Reed

FW Shane Young vs. Blake Bilder

LW* Zubaira Tukhugov vs. Elves Brenner

*Now catchweight fights

Kleydson Rodrigues came in 2lbs over (127lbs). And Zubaira Tukhugov came in 2.5lbs over (157.5lbs)

(on phone so sorry if formatting is awful)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

A great palate cleanser after last weeks fight night

I love that Volkanovski has taken this fight but I can't see him winning it. I think the size difference is just too much but I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Can't see Volkanovski managing this as much as I'd like him to. What time our time is the main card kicking off roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Think it’s roughly same as normal with main card starting around 3am

so prelims starting at 7:15am oz time/6:15pm eastern, not the first time but it’s so unfair on the fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I'm the same the comments above. Would love a Volkanovski win, but difficult to see it happening. He doesn't have ko power from what I've seen. Usually wins by sheer volume and accumulation of damage.

Would also be concerned that he came insanely close to being submitted by Ortega that time only to miraculously escape.

Still the most exciting match up for a while. Just hope it doesn't end up being one sided on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I give Volk a decent chance but think points is the only way he wins.

I’m giving him a lot of respect for stepping up in the first place and do believe he wouldn’t have done so had he not really believed he could win.

then again he may find out like Izzy did that the bigger guy is just a little too hard to handle

the rest of the card is more like a fight night card.

it’s not something worth paying 70 bucks for or whatever it costs in the states

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

People are sleeping on Volk. He’s so technical and a very clever fighter.

Islam has one top quality win to his name so far.

Hoping for a great fight, if Islam can impose his will easily in this one I don’t see anyone getting near him for a long time.

Co main should be good as well, Emmet a lively outsider there also.

As above, I'd love to see Volk do it, however, sizeable bet on Islam via submission.

As an aside, I see that dosser Zubaira was fighting at catchweight lol. Off to Eagle FC he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Early Prelims started at 8:15am

Main card is 2pm.

I think the Aussie fighters would be somewhat used to those times and train around those times. If anything it’s a slight edge

Looking forward to seeing the Aussie boys today. I think they can all win.

Having a decent bet on Josh by submission and an Aussie accumulator

Gonna be a lot of hanging around now with that early finish and the shortened Prelim schedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Is BT sport showing the main event? Currently watching via sky now but earlier in week BT sport will only show main card to UK viewers. Is this correct?

Yeah, it's all on BT Sport 1

Bingo. My boy Josh gets it done.

Lightening quick to the seatbelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

BT Sport is a disaster. Going for ad breaks at the end of the round and missing the first 40+ seconds of Round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I couldn't believe that.

No doubt what's fight of the night, you can't beat that.

A draw was a fair result.

I was very impressed by Jamie earlier on, best I've seen of him. He told his cousin that he felt stronger, smarter and fitter than ever before. He was in camp with Volkanovski.

What a punch. Tafa is so powerful.

The Aussies are having a great night.

Jamie and Josh helped Volks for one if his camps. I think Holloway rematch. Must be better to also to also have a fight to prep for.

Nice finish from Jack there. That’s 4 round 1 finishes

yeah had a feeling this would be their night. Pedro let down my Aussie accumulator though.

Pedro was very disappointing outside of the early takedowns. I thought he had it at one stage, I think it was the first takedown, I think there were two? He gassed very quickly.

• Advertisement

I can't decide whose going to win the main event.

A lot of people are seriously underestimating Volkanovski. He's not the p4p king for no reason. He's beaten a talker fighter, Holloway, than Makhachev. He just has to keep it on the feet to have a great chance. He is very difficult to take down and with his height and low centre of gravity and the extra strength he'll have from the extra weight I like his chances.

Makhachev has been brilliant since coming into the UFC but so has Volkanovski. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he won by KO. If it goes to the ground I don't fancy his chances of surviving it.

It's funny hearing Buffer saying it's the main event of the 'evening' at lunchtime in Perth.

Volk is some man. Very impressive four rounds so far.

Alexander is a legend.

Makhachev may have won but the aura is gone.

Nobody else will touch him. If we get a rematch I think Volkanovski wins it.

Very impressive performance from Volkanovski.. A shame he got stuck on the ground for the fourth round. I think if he could've kept that round on their feet he may have had a cardio advantage.

That was a very narrow win. A lot of people will have scored that for Alaxander. I had it 48-48

I'd certainly love to see them go again. Nobody at 155 troubles Islam like that.

Presumably the only way we'll get that is if Volkanovski vacates or loses (lol) and heads up.

• Advertisement

Well he said in his interview that he's going to settle the featherweight division and he's going to fight lightweight again.

He was also very gracious in defeat asking the crowd to congratulate Islam and saying he underestimated his striking. He said he felt he could have won it but didn't complain about the decision. Basically the exact opposite of a lot of MMA fighters. The respect they showed each other all the way through from when it was announced to after the fight was refreshing to see. Two great fighters and two gentlemen. That's rare in this sport.

Advertisement