Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Ireland Drivers to Strike!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Because I didn't specifically mean to say that salaries should freeze or be reduced to only those working in the transport industry. I mean in general to raise salaries during a high inflation is just not feasible as it fuels the economy further. Inflation happened due to a few reasons, but one of them is definitely due to too many lockdown savings so people want to buy and have money to buy, but there is a shortage in supply which is getting better. This inflation won't last forever, but by raising salaries we are prolonging the inflation period. Housing crisis is a problem of any modern economy these days... In Ireland we also have this partly due to no long-term planning. Many things are focused to short to medium term projects.

I could agree to your opinion, but it's shortsighted because too many stakeholders are involved in these problems and even though these problems are practically related, but actually are separate issues.

The government currently should rethink what they're focusing to and prioritise: education system, health system, policing, housing issues, energy supply (anything else to mention?). I can see some signs of progress, but a question raises - how did we get to this point and many of the above is so bad now and how did we let the government to mismanage this?

To a regular person money of course is one of the most important things, but focusing just to that is our logical mistake as that is the exact message we are sending to the politicians who will aim to these issues during the next election. They will reduce tax by cents and will say job done, while we have a much bigger fish to fry. So instead of focusing to the problems which occurred as a result of other primary issues, we should focus firstly to these primary problem to tackle them. This way we could shoot a few birds with one stone. If we continue focusing to only the money, politicians will never look at the deeper problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

How much GAI drivers are paid and how much for DB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head but my estimate would be somewhere in the region of €50-100 a week. Bus drivers wages are very dependent on overtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

100 a week?, what are you on?

a quick google:

Average Go-Ahead Ireland Bus Driver hourly pay in Ireland is approximately €15.64

The typical Dublin Bus Bus Driver salary is €41,417 per year. Bus Driver salaries at Dublin Bus can range from €32,000 - €67,200 per year. This estimate is based upon 20 Dublin Bus Bus Driver salary report(s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

A quick Google doesn't tell the whole story. I can confirm that the difference is very rarely more than €50 or €60 a week, after tax is deducted. And that's the starting wage - any driver with more than two or three years at Go Ahead would be taking a slight cut to their weekly wage if they went to DB. Initially, at least. Although with overtime, you could potentially come out with an extra €200 a week at DB, after tax. And there's currently a lot of it available. There's also generally a good bit less driving at DB, and better shift patterns too. And there'd want to be less driving - DB routes are generally harder work.

Most drivers don't switch from GAI to DB for the money, certainly not in the short term. They switch because it's a better long-term option, and because the hours and shift patterns are better. Also - and this is really important - they've more garages (all of which are accessible by public transport), so you're less likely to be wasting a fortune on petrol every week. Go Ahead drivers don't even get free bus travel on DB's routes either (DB drivers can travel for free on GAI services).

Ultimately, neither of the companies pay their drivers enough. Until driverless buses come along, this will continue to be a huge problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Supply and demand.

It's a better pension aswell in DB. Considering how few drivers are under the age of 40 and many are 50+ this would be consideration too. One thing I've heard in GAI is the drivers under 40 are queuing out the door to get into DB whereas the older drivers are more likely to stay put. It's quite concerning to me seeing the age of a considerable proportion of drivers that are not being replaced by younger blood.

It's a very tough job to manage if you have young children and the drivers who are happiest and like the job the most tend to be the drivers who either don't have children or who's children are grown up and for good reason as no job is worth missing out on quality time with your children.

True what you say about DB routes being harder work than GAI routes but that can be subjective. I'm guessing the current GAI routes were seen as a fairly handy number in DB when they were operated by DB but then again GAIs former BE Naas/Edenderry routes would probably be more stressful than anything operated by DB for the same money as an GAI ODMA driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It's funny how the GAI workers think they are so in demand, worth so much more than what they get, think no one else could possibly replace them .. and yet are willing to stand in the rain losing money with each day's strike. Not the brightest bunch are they?

If they find it hard to pay the bills now, how do they think a reduced pay packet will help?

Let's hope GAI dig in and see out any protracted action, thus weakening the positions of the drivers who see the public as pawns to get their way.

Well you'll be glad to know it's called off now for the time being. Funny how the same anti DB posters who called for privatisation for so long are now against drivers from a private company striking.

GAI brought in to undercut DB and surprise surprise the GAI staff don't like it. DB drivers saw this coming as soon as the market was opened.

Why do they think there's a demand?

Lol. There's a zillion news articles about the driver shortage and it's effect on services. Dublin bus also has adverts looking for drivers on every other bus.

If they don't like it, why did they sign up to the job? You're not exactly putting forward a compelling argument as to their intelligence.

First they applied to a job they don't like, then they threaten to reduce their pay by walking off the job.

Then why are they not working for Dublin Bus if they pay better?

Maybe because they can't meet the application criteria. So why do you expect to be paid the same as a competitor?

Why do the drivers not compare their salary to the numerous other private bus companies in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

They are actually hugely in demand. The way to get management to listen them is to work through the mechanics of labour issues, which is what they are doing.

Basically, everyone needs a pay rise to possibly still be further behind in net funds available than they were two years ago.

At the end of the day, society needs these drivers to operate the vital bus services in our country. If it was so great and well paid, there would not be any issues.

While I’m sure we could get people to come from other countries to take up these jobs, but there is literally no where to sleep at night in the Dublin area.

More anti bus worker pro race to the bottom nonsense. If DB went on strike you'd still be complaining saying that DB should be paid the same as private operators.

GAI paid less than DB for doing the exact same job.

Generally you try get same or better deal where you are, and if that doesn't work out then move.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Seanoreilly200

How much do GAI get paid weekly?

• Advertisement

Advertisement