Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor at Croke Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Vegasroger

She filled Madison square garden last year as the headliner.

No appetite for boxing in Ireland? There is multiple boxing clubs in every town around the country.

Thousands travelled to Vegas from Ireland for McGregor boxing match against Mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not sure it would get a huge attendance. You'd be there looking at the big screen for the privilege of your eighty quid.

People support her I'm sure,but it's a niche sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Madison Square Garden is slap bang in the centre of a city of eight odd million. Also has a capacity of twenty thousand.

She'd probably get that here in fairness. Fill Croker though, I'd be doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Maddison Square garden has a capacity of 21,000 in a city with a population of 8.5million in which there is a large portion of the population claiming Irish heritage where she fought a fighter from Puerto Rico which coincidentally is the 2nd largest hispanic group in the United States of which a huge proportion settled in the North East (ie New York) region. I mean if they couldnt sell 21,000 tickets for that then they might as well throw their hat at it.

I couldnt see her selling out Croke Park. Unfortunately the reputation of boxing in Ireland is in the gutter, a country with a proud boxing tradition now completely tainted by scumbags and criminals and even the very mention of Mc Gregors name associated with this fight taints it even more.

And whats more mr Slimy himself eddie Hearn realised he couldnt sell out Croke Park and had to try something to save face after promising it in the first place, and people bought it, hook, line and sinker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If McTapper is involved and various factions of organised crime gangs and their extended families are in attendance - you can write this off -

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Rather than getting involved with a nest of vipers - KT would be better off announcing the whole thing is off at this stage. Or else stage a free exhibition match in the Phoenix park or some place like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭hynesie08

She had an amateur bout after she won the Olympics, couldn't give away tickets for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's the like of the thousands that traveled to Vegas to see that scumbag fight that will keep most people away from any KT bout. I certainly wouldn't bring my kids into that kind of pissed up coked up atmosphere. An open air party to watch or celebrate an Olympic gild medal is not the same.

If the tickets were free for a Croke Park fight I'd say you'd still struggle to fill it. Boxing is just too niche in Ireland. She's a phenomenal athlete but so are other champions in niche sports. She just happens to compete in a sport with a dodgy undercurrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She won’t get near to filling Croker.

She or her camp were never pushed about fighting here in Ireland before. As a professional she has ZERO fights in ireland.

22 elsewhere but not a single fight here. But now she’s all keen 🙄

yet, herself and her entourage / promoter are demanding significant stadia are given to her, to facilitate her and their demands….

quite a sublime arrogance… that’s confirmed by the date named, opponent agreed, but nowhere organised to fight ! Errrrrr

its a real cockup by her, her management team and promoters….

i hope the GAA stand their ground really…. I’d say a lot of GAA clubs across the country have a very careful eye on this situation because if the GAA put this on, it can’t be run at any realistic or substantial profit… most likely a loss….

cost of..

electricity.. ( massive )

Gardai,

stewards,

security,

Paramedics,

paydays for all fighters

Insurance,

So the fûck would be left for the GAA to get out of it ?

Say 40,000 tickets at an average price of say 70 euros… 2.8 million roughly….in revenue plus TV rights, advertising, bars, catering…

that say came to 3.5 million in revenue, it would be ripped through in no time… Taylor was reportedly paid 1 million dollars for her Persoon rematch…. So she won’t be doing Croker any cheaper.

this is just the big last payday for Taylor…….you can hear tills ringing, just over the sense of entitlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

What? Croker has always been the dream.

Also if you think tv rights and ads would only add €700k...

(Bars and catering would belong to the GAA)

All I can say is lol.

Btw, her fight in Madison square garden was watched by 6 million viewers.

Her fight ? I’d say a lot of people turned up to see her opponent too. 19,187 was the confirmed attendance. So lol all you want.

6 million viewers watched ‘worldwide’ ? Ok. ‘Lol’. yourself 🤷‍♂️

bars and catering belong to the GAA if that’s the agreement. So far there isn’t one.

Because it’s a ‘dream’ doesn’t entitle her to shît. But the sense of entitlement emanating from her camp… jeeez, arrogant, embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Shes an undefeated world champion, in a competitive sport many times over. I think she absolutely has the right to feel "entitled" to have a massive fight at the end of her career in her home country that has in the past routinely ignored her. How many times have RTE not shown her fights?

You just sound like a little angry person, embarrassing.

Sky or whoever would doubt have the rights. These things are generally sold to networks.

She’s ‘entitled’ to SFA. :)

RTE are under no obligation to show her fights. There is that sense of entitlement, again. RTE may never have been offered or in a financial position to bid to show her fights.

and you sign off with a personal attack, embarrassing indeed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'll definitely stream it on my iptv no matter where the fight is

Shes never selling out croker, she has a huge army of armchair fans but they won't pay the 70 or 80 quid or whatever it is to see her. And I presume kids aren't going to a boxing match.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is it really that competitive, I love Katie but she's fighting part timers and double jobbers mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The last time there was a free event in the Phoenix Park they only got the place about 1/4 full 😋

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭HBC08

It's not Katie Taylors fault that her sport has such a (well deserved) bad name as regards big events in ireland.

I see the great work being done by our local club here and the explosion of girls taking it up since Katie came on the scene.Thats a very different picture than the atmosphere and set up of big(ish) boxing events in Ireland.For anybody who hasn't been recently picture the coked up scummers that embarrassed themselves at McGregor fights. That's a generalisation but that's the crowd now,absolutely no place for kids and a big day out at Croker,I'd say a few of the parents would be in for a bit of a shock too.

Unfortunate situation for one of our best (arguably the best) athletes but thats the reality.The best we can hope for is she gets a memorable night at the point and gets her big home win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It is a pity that McGregor and his mob had to stick their oar in, now the event will be tainted by his malignant presence forever.

If was a parent to a young girl I’d love to bring her to a Katie Taylor homecoming match and watch her little eyes light up at seeing the possibilities of what an Irish woman can do.

Now I’d be worried about her walking into two of the “you’ll do nothin” pondlife horsing back lines of ket-aine while they fornicate in the jacks. Fingering the orifices off each other. It’s disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There will be a massive amount event junkies that will go to it. Irish folks would pay to watch two snails fooking if enough hype was around it.

wtf goes through your mind that’s what you think will be happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That you Enoch?

Not your day son.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭Damien360

Rte news interviewed the promoter. There is €800k difference between the security bill and what he wants to pay for Croke Park. So he is asking the government/taxpayer or McGregor to stump up the bill. Why ? If either were to do that, they need to take a large percentage of the income from that, not pay his bills to hand him a bigger profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If Eddie Hearn can't make an 80,000+ gate pay, in an event for Ireland's greatest ever sportsperson, and come up with a handsome purse by the standards of the Women's pro game, then frankly he should hang up his hat as a promoter.

If McGregor wants to pay the difference, thats his own business, but the Government should not, in any circumstances, be stepping in to bridge a perceived money gap for a professional card on PPV TV. Its completely a commercial venture and no concern of taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll say it again how is she "Ireland's greatest ever sportsperson"?

Hearn needs the gap covered because he's a smart promoter and needs the potential for a loss covered. If he taught it would sell out he'd stump up, but he doesn't. Hearn has turned some muck into gold and big paydays for his fighters, the financial risk is too big here for him.

Advertisement