Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Doorbell?

Options
  • 08-02-2023 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭

Do these work well at the front door ?

Does the chime and bell trafo have to be swopped for higher voltage , is that all ?

Also do they need lighting at night

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Do these work well at the front door ? Yes

Does the chime and bell trafo have to be swopped for higher voltage , is that all ? The trafo does,there is a plug-in chime available

Also do they need lighting at night .it works well without additional light but a sensor light would help clarity

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Battery life is poor on those stick up cams . I presume they're no good for talking to visitors ,too many notifications ?

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Works very well using Amazon Echo Show. Audio and visual alerts.

Newer version allow user to set a geo fence defining the area of interest, reducing the number of notifications.

No additional lighting necessary for night vision. But sensor light useful depending on your environment.

Battery life averages about a month. Keep a spare and monitor battery health in the app.

Used wired version if you have high usage. Two way communication works well.

Post edited by Cerco on

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

I have my ring door bell about 4 years and think its a great job.

I went for the wired pro version. Had to swap the bell trafo, this was included with the pro and i just bypassed the existing chime in the house and used the plug in chime that came with the pro also.

Although it is a wired version, it does still contain a battery that is supposed to be non replaceable.

The cold weather is known to kill them eventaully which is what happened mine last year. The only option officially, is to replace the doorbell but i found a post online about replacing the battery.

I bought a battery online for a tenner and if you are any good at following instructions and using a soldering iron it is a cheap fix. Been not a bother on it since.

Do you need any tilt base with the Ring Doorbell mounted on a standard door frame ?

I can see the chime can work as a repeater to the doorbell , presume that's easy to setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

The need for the tilt fram really depends on the individual situation.

In my scenario, the door frame is set back about 150mm from the front face of the house and the original doorbell was fitted to it.

The tilt base would have been no use to me as it would have made an already poor view for the ring doorbell camera even worse.

I installed my doorbell out on the face of the house but it did involve extending the wiring and making/filling a few holes.

The setup of the doorbell is very easy. The app does it all and tells you what to do.

Thanks I'll talk to them and see do they want the extra notifications for people using the house, or just callers to door

Battery is too much trouble and I presume it has the black plug you cant enclose in the socket so I'll probably go with wired ring doorbell

That would be a standard enough door frame 6" back , thought tilting it across would work well there I dunno

I suppose people move across to face the camera when talking anyway thanks again looks like wired doorbell it is

Advertisement