Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens a fine if you don't pay it?

• 08-02-2023 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭

Supposing a court issued Mr BattleCorp a fine, or multiple fines.

Mr. BattleCorp is a bad man and ignores them.

The Court jails Mr. BattleCorp for refusing to pay the fines.

Are the fines considered paid or does Mr. BattleCorp still owe the fines once he has served his time?

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It is a good question.

In short, prison time will replace the fine. In a lot of District Courts, the judge will specify a fine in euros and also specify a period of imprisonment in the event that the fine is not paid. Some people consciously opt to go to prison rather than pay the fine. For many people, it's a much less painful option, particularly since you're unlikely to actually spend any time in a cell.

It's not an option for most people though, because obviously a period of incarceration (however brief) can be of interest to current/prospective employers.

I'm not going to talk about imprisonment for contempt for not paying a fine, which in theory would leave the fine on the table. Can't be doing that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 JackPlanets

It is considered jail-time in lieu of fines.

Standards below

Imprisonment in default

Less than €500 – 5 days

Between €500 and €1,500 – 10 days

Between €1,500 and €3,000 – 20 days

Greater than €3,000 – 30 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

@hullaballoo Thanks for your answer.

So if the fine was in relation to Mr. BattleCorp having no TV licence he's in the clear but if the fine was for being in contempt of court, Mr. BattleCorp gets jailed for not paying the fine, gets released, the fine is still there, Mr. BattleCorp still won't pay it so he goes back to jail?

Lets assume (not far from the truth) that Mr. BattleCorp has no assets or job to have his wages garnished. What then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

I owed a few hundred a few years ago and could not pay it. Eventually I had to present myself to a lovely ban garda at Mountjoy station.

We had a lovely chat whilst walking to Mountjoy Prision. I ended up doing a 5 stretch (Hours) and even got my dinner !😁 I did my time and no more fine, Just be honest and nice about it when N'ardai come knocking. It's the last thing they want to do either !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that the situation is different in the UK. If you don't pay your fine, you can end up in prison, then release, and still owe the fine.

Advertisement