Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers "free" eye test

Options
  • 08-02-2023 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just a heads up: I qualified for a free eye test based on PRSI contributions. I went to Specsavers and requested a test, and while arranging the booking they said it would cost €25. I asked why, and they said "they" (Specsavers) had added a new OCT scan (Optical Coherence Tomography if you must know!). This checks the health of the eye.

I got the impression this was not optional, so I just went with it. But when I arrived for the test I checked again and they said they could do just the free eye test also.

I don't like this, it seems they try to push you into paying for something you didn't necessarily want. Just something to be aware of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Same story with frames. Buy one get one free and total cost like I bought 5 glasses frames.

Post edited by markmoto on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I find specsavers very pushing in all their upselling...

I recently went in and got an eyetest (free via PRSI) and got two pairs of glasses as part of their buy one, get one free. Along with a discount via PRSI and health Insurance claim, I got both pairs for 80 quid...one of the pairs was a tinted Hugo Boss frame. Not too bad as long as you don't get caught with their other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Same here. I was told it was 25 euro and when i queried it being free with PRSI only then did the supervisor say yes it is but that is "basic test". Seems a standard upselling technique that they must go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marielizzy

Just so people are aware depending on which Specsavers branch you go to will depend on the cost of the Eye Test , from €15 in Donaghmede and GPO, €35 in Santry and €50 in Swords, even though its the same company, all depends on location ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

As the recent adverts state, each branch is owned independently, so different branches aren't necessarily part of the same company. It's a franchise, a bit like Spar or McDonald's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Good to know this. So if I book a *free test* in The Crescent Shopping Centre in Limerick via the link that says *Book a Free Test* then i need to specifically say this when in there that I’ve booked the free test before I do anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I went to Specsavers a couple years back and got the full, hard sell thing.

The experience was "interesting" - being shuffled from one person to the next, 4 in all IIRC, however it was also unsettling in some ways. I refused all extras, but left feeling uncomfortable and determined to use a local optician the next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

Yes, or at least stay alert and if they mention any costs, just assert that you only want the free test.

Advertisement