Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

External insulation - ESB connection needing to be moved.

  • 03-02-2023 6:06pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭


    Hi all


    I had a external wall insulator come to the house recently to quote for an EWI job. The house is a semi-de built in the 1950s with a garage on one side of the house which adjoins the neighbours garage on that side. Since there is a party wall between the two garages the correct method, the insulator told me, is to insulate the house-side wall of the garage. The issue is that the electricity meter is on that wall and because it currently only just clears the garage door by millimeters when it opens it will have to be moved further into the garage to avoid contact with the garage door when the added insulation causes the meter to stand proud of the wall by an inch or two.

    The insulator told me that because the incoming cabling and meter can only be moved by the ESB since it's their property. I called the ESB and they confirmed this to be the case and said it would take 5 months until the job could be done and would cost (get this) €458. They would only put me on the waiting list once I paid an invoice for this amount. The ESB advised that I would need to get an electrician to come out and submit a certificate of compliance for the electrical system as it is to their certifiying organisation before the ESB electrician will move the cabling and the meter. Note that no other electrical work whatsoever is being done to the house but seemingly I still need this cert from the non-ESB electrician.

    It's looking like this tiny job is going to cost over a thousand euros and delay the work by 6 months+. Can anyone confirm if they've had to go through this madness to get this job done and let me know if they found any way around it?


    Many thanks



Comments

Advertisement