Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop & external monitor compatibility

Options
  • 02-02-2023 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I've been down this road before and was stung badly, so am very wary of what I buy now with regards to compatibility between laptops & external monitors.

I'm looking at buying a HP Envy 16 laptop and I think the HDMI is version 2.1.

I currently have an LG UltraWide 21:9 and all I know is that it has HDMI. It's a 2019 model.

Does anyone think there could be an issue connecting them? It should be plug and play right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Just an update to above... I've noticed while researching new laptops, that HDMI ports are being replaced by Thunderbolt (usb-c) ports.

Is the only option in that case to get a docking station or hdmi/usb-c adapter?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

still plenty of hdmi laptops - hdmi 2.1 supports 4k dispplay - 2.0 supports 1080p

if your running it just off the processor you could look up the processor display support

a lot of the hdmis run off graphics cards these days . not all laptops run them on the graphocs cards even when they have them

hps may not have the best specs !

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Tech_Head

You should be fine, especially if the laptop is HDMI 2.1. Ultrawides have been around for awhile now and mid to high spec laptops will run them just fine.

As for HDMI versions, 2.0 will do 4K at 60Hz (refresh rate) just fine. HDMI 2.1 supports 4K at 120Hz meaning it also supports things such as VRR and auto switching to Game Mode on compatible TVs and monitors.

Advertisement