Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Noise

Options
  • 02-02-2023 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

A few reports of noise complaints against Dublin Airport in the papers today. Made a few myself over the year. Got really pissed when we got absolutely ripped out of a deep sleep at 4.30 in the morning with no chance of getting back. I started checking FlightRadar24 and it seems to be a popular hobby for trans Atlantic planes to come screaming in too fast and pull a hand brake turn just East of the coast and land.

My big problem is is that all the manoevers could be done in that big blue patch on the maps called the Irish Sea.

So whenever I'm woken at an ungodly hour I fire in a complaint.

Any similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Definitely noticed an increase in noise from the new runway. I'm in Swords close to the airport, the main noise seems to be from the planes taking off. Haven't been woken up or anything yet, but it is noticeable during the day

I had to laugh when I read yesterday that 89% of the noise complaints come from one guy in Ongar and they're averaging 65 complaints a day from him. What a hero!

I reckon he's either got nothing better to do or he's got some automated setup where a microphone picks up noise data and sends in a complaint

Apparently the DAA sensors aren't detecting any noise outside the flight corridor. I wonder if they're all buried in a soundproofed box 😏

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Do they have ANY sensors outside the flight corridor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Im in Portmarnock,have'nt been woken or noticed any extra plane noise to be honest.Where are you OP??

I think they're using the existing South runway for landings, and the new North runway for takeoffs mostly

So the situation in Portmarnock should be about the same as it was. But the towns north and west of Swords are getting a lot more overflying planes

And since they just took off their engines are at full power 😬

Power settings on engines depend on weight and some other factors. Pilots try not to use maximum power at take off for a number of reasons, and runway is plenty long not to have to use it in most instances. After takeoff from 28R the standard noise avoidance procedure is to make an almost immediate right turn to avoid overflying residential areas. I believe this hasn’t always been practised though. Standing in the grounds of a nursing home in Swords last Sunday I could indeed hear places take off in the not too far distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

Why did you buy a house near the airport?

No such thing as a 'hobby' pulling 'handbrake turns' in an aeroplane, it's descent at idle power with track and distance mainly decided by air traffic control. Aircraft speed makes very little difference to noise levels

Lots of other noisy things around, tvs, cars, coffemakers.

Given the location tags he posted, he isn't close to the airport 😉

For my own case, I bought a house here because that's where the houses I could afford were and it's a decent place to live

Same reason anyone buys a house anywhere

You're correct, there's a lot of other noise sources. There were some lads trimming hedges in the estate a couple of weeks ago who were wrecking my head a lot more than the planes

However, it's worth remembering the airport doesn't own the entirety of North County Dublin, so they have to be prepared to make some concessions to people already living there

The airport made a lot of assurances around noise control, and they're already admitting those controls aren't being adhered to because of a "mistake" in the flight path

I'm not opposed to the new runway, but I don't think the airport should have free reign to fly planes wherever they want, whenever they want

You're probably correct but when you're under the plane it really doesn't make much difference if they're at full power or 80% power

I haven't been woken up like the OP but there's a few towns around the place which are being overflown regularly now. I can understand why they might be unhappy given the DAA said that wasn't going to happen

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Screenshot from 4:26AM at less than 2,000 feet. Took this last year.

Like I said in the OP this could all be done over that big blue patch and wouldn't disturb anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

You want aircraft to descend only over water? Where else in the world does this happen except tiny islands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I thought the problem was they turn right too soon after taking off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They have now changed it so the right turn comes a little later. That spares a few places that were effected after the runway started operations.

Doesnt help Ballyboughil and Oldtown much though, but the planes are higher when they fly over them now.

But a few planes still make an early right turn.

Listening to a plane take off right now 😕

Realistically where I am in Swords I don't think there's much that can be done. But I did notice all the trees bordering the fields North of the airport got cut down

They were actually doing a pretty good job of blocking some of the noise. I wonder who's bright idea that was

Listened to one 777 taking off for Dubai last night around 10pm and the thing was LOUD

It wasn't even using the north runway, took off from the south one

I know it's a big heavy plane full of fuel so there's not much can be done to make it quieter, but I would be very opposed to any loosening of the night time restrictions after listening to that

Ideally they could restrict the heavier flights to 6am to 10pm so any noise isn't during the night when people are sleeping

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

A new law was enacted recently related to aircraft noise which has set up a regulator for it. You can probably make your opinions known to them:

Aircraft Noise Complaints

Aircraft noise complaints should continue to be made to the Dublin Airport Authority (daa) at https://www.dublinairport.com/about-us/-community-affairs/noise-complaint. Aircraft noise complaints are not within the remit of the Competent Authority.

Right at the bottom of this page https://www.fingal.ie/aircraftnoiseca/aircraftnoisecompetentauthoritycustomerservice

Post edited by jwwb on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

The airport became fully operational in the 1950s. Anybody purchasing a home there after 1950 would have to understand that they are beside a major international airport and can expect noise levels to be somewhat elevated. For me, having lived here for all but 10 years of my life, I tend to filter it out unless some very unusual flyover occurs.

Think whats also an issue is big variances in insulation - anybody I know for example in the A2 rated newer houses in Ridgewood doesn't hear a thing

The North runway might make them a bot louder in Swords, but using the other runway they shouldnt be any louder than they always were. Probably the weather has more to do with how loud they are for you.

Its the places that the planes flyover when taking off from the new runway that have a serious aircraft noise problem now. they could always hear planes, but now that they are low flying and right over them I feel really sorry for them. They were happy enough with the noise that existed already but its off the charts now.

Aircraft noise is really bad in Swords this evening, wind from the southwest and planes taking off from north runway

Last few aircraft were the newer 737s which are supposed to be quiet. Quieter than a pneumatic drill going beside your head maybe 😬

Nice to see DAA managed to get a court stay on cutting down night flights because they just weren't bothered doing it. Must remember that excuse the next time I'm not bothered complying with planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Recently they started flying out over Lusk directly, this wasn't the norm before. Noisy but luckily not too bad! Still annoying though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Most here will say you shouldn’t have bought beside an airport🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭standardg60

Completely agree about the filtering, it's just because the noise is new.

No different to when you visit someone who has a ticking clock and it does your head in and you ask how they live with it.

And they say what clock?

Well we did look at the noise curves published by DAA before buying the house and we were in the area that would only have mild background noise

Unfortunately whoever did up those noise curves didn't account for wind apparently, when it's from the southwest it is quite a bit louder in Swords

Normally it's fine but with the warm weather yesterday we had to keep the windows open so could hear the flights taking off

Flights were going through the night so I'm glad Fingal are doing something to curtail it. I get there's an economic cost but I doubt it'll cause any businesses to fail.

So unless DAA are planning to noise proof every house in the county they'll have to respect the wishes of residents to have an undisturbed night's sleep

I was out there yesterday. Serious plane noise. never heard it out there before. Nothing though compared to the noise out in Ballycoughil, Oldtown, Kilsallaghan these days though. A ferw time there I thought the vibrations were going to lift me off the bike. Its like cycling down the runway under a plane taking off. I really dont know how anyone thinks thats normal. I can see now why the DAA lied about it on their planning application.

Your last sentence is the part that is annoying me, DAA published noise estimates for for new runway and it's becoming more obvious that those estimates are wrong, either by mistake or on purpose

If they'd stick to their own statement of what the impact would be then there'd be a lot less complaints from people in the area

SSSHHHHH enjoy the silence....

🤣🤣🤣

Brilliant comment, bravo sir, bravo 👍

I'm actually just noticing now the lack of aircraft noise. Can still hear them taxiing around the airport, but none of the really loud take offs

https://webtrak.emsbk.com/dub1

There is an hour delay in the timing so at 10:41 you are seeing aircraft movements at 9:41 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

Really loud in Belmayne, Balgriffin. Planes are taking off early very late in the evenings and very early in the mornings. There are noise sensors on the website showing noise readings over 75Db on take off. With the warm weather having the window of the bedroom open it's really loud. They tend to start around 9pm until after midnight, having a plane taking off every 3 minutes. In the morning around 5am they start taking off again. They should have a schedule and not low charges on the late and early flights.

And for those that are saying, why live in an area near the Airport? Have been in living the area for over 20 years of my life. The problems have started only since the new runway was build. I believe a new terminal built outside the city and the residential areas would have been a better alternative then the new terminal and new runway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The new runway and it's flightpath is further away from Belmayne than the old runway,so I cant figure out how the plane noise is louder now than the past 20 years you've lived there??

Advertisement