Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What one event do you think could unite the whole World?

Options
  • 01-02-2023 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Do you think a comet on a catastrophic collision course with the Earth would unite the whole World or maybe massive Alien spacecraft like in "Independence Day"?

Could you see the Americans and Russians working together now?

I certainly could not. I think the Americans and Europe working with China is more likely.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anything that attacks the Earth will have the combined forces of every state and religion fighting back against them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Mrs Browns boys ending

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Mass Extinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭ratracer

Maybe a global pandemic……… oh wait, scratch that 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭dmcdona

E. Burke going home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just watch Don't Look Up. As idiotic as it seems, I reckon that would be the exact reaction to a similar event. That film nailed that part of humanity.

Humanity will never be "one", because greed and selfishness rules the roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Cannabis party

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Spice Girls reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭andy125

The Borg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

I think something like alien life being discovered in our solar system would initially cause massive upheaval, particularly religious, as we try to make sense of it.

But I think the idea that life evolving on another world independently from earth in our solar system would, and the realization that not only are we not alone but also not that special, might see us unite in a common identity as human beings.

Assuming of course we don’t wipe ourselves out first.

• Advertisement

Have Aerosmith as well on the bill for guaranteed world peace.

Nah, the introduction of aliens would only cause a scramble for religious orders to retroactively include/exclude aliens so they can keep telling their lies appease the masses spread their scripture. Then you'd have the lunatics who would create a new religion based on these aliens. Queue hapes of people then identifying as said alien species, or a mixture of all, and the introduction of legislation to make it illegal to not refer to them as their preferred race (which would mean actual race, not the made up one we humans have). You'd have 'Merica, China and Russia fighting over who will invade bring peace first, secret government organisations doing back handed deals to get that space tech so they can continue to blow up innocents for oil be the bringers of peace. You'd have the loonies trying to kill/blow up anything Alien related, the weirdos setting up camp and creating a new hippy city nearby wherever they landed and adoring them for no reason other than they're from space.

It would bring technological advancement, but would also increase the divide between the rich and everyone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I don't think it's possible, we are a naturally tribal and territorial species. It doesn't matter if there are 10 billion of us or just 10 of us, we will always find a reason to align with those we deem closest to us and fight everyone else.

This meme sums it up I think!

"...we are a naturally tribal (selfish) and territorial (greedy) species"

Yours was more eloquent though. And yes, meme sums it up perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Jesus coming back and destroying Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

more then just human beings, the concept of life itself is competitive….

You compete with others for jobs / promotions / shifts, attaining boyfriends / girlfriends, regular friends , sporting competitions…

similar in international politics…you have friends, allies, enemies, countries you are wary of, countries who dislike, ones you don’t dislike but don’t want anything to do with. It’s human AND political nature.

so you won’t unite the world..…

Putins replacement could be a bigger savage, Kim Jong-un’s replacement could make Kim look like an Asian Larry Grayson on tranquillisers, Xi Jinping the same.

the world has never been without conflict. Probably all that might come close would be a total proliferation of democracies in all countries on the planet.

that won’t ever happen and if it does that’s hundreds of years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

Christ return will unite the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Absolutely nothing can unite us by our own free will. Some outliers like nihilists, misanthropes, religious freaks, fetishists, evil etc. will always separate for the sake of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Super Glue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A few years ago, I would have said Liverpool threatening to win the premier league, but that didn't do it - so I'm going wit the return of Jesus Christ Possibly.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ayahuasca

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

We haven't evolved enough to appreciate collective progress over personal satisfaction in a finite time.

We are restricted by boundaries and borders, mental and physical.

There is no single thing that can speed up evolution or unite us all for a greater good.

There are 3 things that would come very close...doing away with reality programs, influencers and the constantly offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Absolutely nothing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

His first visit didn't unite too many people. A second visit by (insert deity of choice) would just cause chaos and those that were wrong about their religion would try to kill everyone else.

I would like to see Quetzalcoatl descend on the Earth and get vengeance for his wronged believers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A new type of Rubixs cube or fancier fidget spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dunno - a few miracles i think would do the trick.

Maybe Cuthultu?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd have said alien invasion or pandemic but given how the last pandemic showed how vile some people are, I don't there's a good answer to the OP's question.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Mayo winning the All Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭bloopy

Carrington event.

Everyone would be united in misery and anarchy.

Advertisement