Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British celebrities who aren't so well known west of the Irish Sea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

There's been a big change in British [sic] TV and radio over the last twenty)?) years, with a massive diminution in regional output by both BBC and ITV (that says it all, they would previously have been independent ITV companies): in the days when the regions were big, regional "names" were big . . . David Batey (Border TV); Stuart Hall (BBC NW); Harry Gration/Brian Baines/Khalid Aziz - "when do people in Yorkshire 'av their tay? when Khalid 'as 'is" (he presented "Look North", the "tea time" regional news magazine) (all BBC North); Austin Mitchell/Richard Whiteley (Yorkshire TV); Fred Dinenage (Southern TV); David Hamilton (Tyne-Tees TV, then Radio 2). (Bizarrely, Gay Byrne was a huge presenter on Granada TV in the 1960s, and was the first person to introduce The Beatles on UK TV). Which leads me on to radio: Manchester's Piccadilly Radio presenters were HUGE stars in the Manchester of the 70s-90s (but being from Yorkshire I couldn't name any); Capital Radio and LBC presenters have always been huge in London - and some, like Nick Ferrari, are becoming national figures now that digital broadcasting has made their stations national broadcasters. The Birmingham comedian Jasper Carrott used to have part of a set based around BRMB (the Birmingham/West Midlands local radio station) presenters that was soon dropped as he became a national figure on TV . . . (actually, is/was Jasper Carrott a "thing" in the RoI?).

I think the last place for real regionalism on our shared islands is Northern Ireland. Stephen Nolan does present a Radio 5 Live programme, but I've yet to year anybody on the mainland who'se heard it. The last on-air continuity person for UTV - he was paid-off last year, when ITV tightened their grip on UTV - was big in the North, but unknown on the mainland. The chap who plays Mike McGoldrick . . . is he big in NI?.

Oh! sorry! I've now turned the question on its head . . .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They were also swingers, which on its own is fine but is massively creepy when you dressing up as a schoolkid.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/the-krankies-we-were-secret-swingers-at-height-282225

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You need to meet more people on the mainland. There are thousands of them listening to Nolan on 5 Live. You might also meet some who listen to Connor (with 2 N's) Phillips who also appears on 5 Live. His main gig is after Nolan on Radio Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm in a tribute band called Fleetwood mac lads and we cover fleetwood mac in the style of the macc lads

• Advertisement

Basil brush

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Roy Chubby Brown as mentioned in the quote in the last post - he always had his videos being sold by mail-order in the tabloids here, he was more known here than he deserved to be. Ads must have been dirt cheap cause how many people ever did phone purchases of comedy videos (see also the constant ads for 1990s Def Comedy Jam VHS on late night TV in the early 00s)

Additionally - anyone who tries to claim they're known by a nickname but continues using their full name, e.g. Roy Chubby Brown or Stephen Tin Tin Duffy, is clearly not actually known by that nickname but really really really really wants to be. Roy Chubby Brown has fucked himself over because eventually people did adopt the name, but didn't call him Chubby Brown, they still called him Roy Chubby Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,028 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I see on the front page of the BBC news app a 1970s comedian called Mike Yarwood died.

I never heard of him.

Bobby davro

Dave Spikey, unless you're a massive Peter Kay fan.

• Advertisement

Used to get 18 million viewers for his BBC show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,001 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I dont recall seeing his series but references to him popped up in UK comedy or topical shows I have watched.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Radio presenters who would have huge followings in the UK thinking Nick Grimshaw, Greg James, Scott Mills Et al.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Re: Jasper Carrott, now that you mention it I dont think he was ever big in Ireland. You knew British comedians had an audience in Ireland in the 80s and 90s by how often they appeared on the Late Late Show, I cant ever remember JC being on it, in contrast to Billy Connolly and Lenny Henry .

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭waywill1966

I grew up in an area where we received all the main UK channels and I remember him very well. His show and the likes of Dick Emery were Saturday night staples in our house followed by Match of the Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Anybody along the border who could pick up BBC/itv,pre dishes/boxes would have known all those 70/80s comedians,they were huge stars at the time,there's not a hope of any programme attracting 10m viewers, nevermind 20/22m, thanks to satellite tv

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭waywill1966

We hardly watched any RTÈ then as it’s output paled in comparison to what BBC and ITV produced!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Such a vile coke-headed slob - Google image her and you will realise why she writes those words

Remember,

her anti-Irish articles were published in the Guardian newspaper, which is where the Irish smoked salmon types pseudo intellectuals go to be enlightened and complain about American, Israeli, AN Other racism while happy to support incomplete, ignorant and frankly, deranged views of Ireland by British people

Mike Yarwood was HUGE in Britain [sic] in the 1970s-early 1980s, the issue was that as his stock-impressions - Brian Clough, Ted Heath, Harold Wilson, etc - themselves passed from the limelight so did he. Alcohol dependency followed, leading to marriage breakdown and an unwillingness for quiz shows and the like to engage with him . . . and so on. Eventually he just disappeared - he was a big part of my childhood, and even I'd forgotten about him until today's newspapers . . . I'll bet there's few under 50 who remember him. Was he ever big in NI? - I can't imagine William Craig/James Molyneaux/Gerry Fitt/etc being in his act.

• Advertisement

Well, I think I'd have to meet an awful lot of people over here just to have an anywhere reasonable chance of meeting one of the "thousands" that listens to Stephen Nolan on R5 . . . (oh! can you provide listener statistiscs for Nolan's R5 show? then I work out the actual odds).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I remember Jasper Carrot’s show, I’ll always remember one of his zingers about David Icke: he says he’s going to save the world, he saved bugger all for Coventry.

Didn’t his daughter play Dawn in The Office?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Same here. I grew up in Kildare in the 70s/80s, not the border area or Dublin, but we had the 3 (and then 4) UK channels, as well as RTÉ. I didn't realise that so many others didn't, since all my immediate friends had the same. (The odd family had their own aerial so they'd have HTV (Welsh ITV) instead of UTV.)

Anyway, because of this, I grew up know the Krankies, Basil Brush, Mike Yarwood, and Jasper Carrott. I never liked the Krankies, and even back then as children, we thought it was a bit odd that the wee woman was pretending to be a schoolboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Had no idea she was his daughter, learn something new every day.

I loved jc as a kid he was my intro to stand up

Jasper Carrott's shows were well known here (in areas with British TV, that is), particularly Canned Carrott, Commercial Breakdown and The Detectives. His sort-of vanishing from being on TV anywhere is because he got in to TV production and radio station ownership; doing such minor TV shows as Who Wants To Be A Millionaire

If you make a point of asking everyone you meet what radio programmes they listen to, you will come across them. Although it is something I would never dream of doing myself. Have you met anyone who listens to the other NI natives who broadcast on 5 Live. Connor Phillips, Colin Murray and Patrick Kielty? Or any who listened to Laura Whitmore from Ireland, during her four year stint?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,172 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Reading some of the replies here it is clear that a lot of posters live in 2 channel land until quite late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Does anyone remember when Eoghan McDermott was on Xfm (now Radio X) in the early 2010s? He did the drivetime show for over a year.

Advertisement