Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Maintenance

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The muc off wet lube is definitely like so. One I tried recently is not so. Can't remember the brand of it though. Suitably impressed to go looking for more of it soon though.

If I have it, I use fenwicks foaming chain cleaner. I had loads of it that I got cheap before.

Now I'll use elbow grease or whatever degreaser I have left over (I've a few).

I'm not remotely that fussy, and couldn't be arsed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, I find using WD40 on a nice clean chain on my CX bike works perfectly given the short timeframe of a race/ practice and the fact that I'll be stripping everything off the chain straight after the race. Can't bring myself to waste time/ $$$ on applying lube to each link for the sake of a couple of hours use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cleans and lubes at the same time? Hmmm. Not sure I buy that now. I hope my gastroenterologist doesn't either....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

take two bottles into the shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vintcerf

Interesting thread. Zero Friction Cycling has done extensive research on this and recommends mineral turpentine followed by methylated spirits to clean chains since some solvents like petrol and diesel clean ok but leave a much heavier film behind for part 2 (methylated spirits) to deal with. (petrol / diesel) and some solvents may cause corrosion stress cracking / hydrogen embrittlement if soaked too long. 

Guide is here for those interested.

Silca on HYDROGEN EMBRITTLEMENT article here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm skeptical about the hydrogen embrittlement with the pH of most cleaners not being that extreme unless your putting household cleaners directly onto exposed metal. Certainly not an issue with any organic solvents in the way they are used for chain cleaning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, how quick would the reaction described happen? if you ran your chain through a chain bath cleaner with degreaser for a minute or two and rinsed it off, would that be sufficient time to cause damage?

I think you'd really need to be going through a strong acid for it to happen quickly. Anything you can safely out your hands in for a few minutes wouldn't really concern me. Also, whose washing chains in strong acids. Most of the solvents here aren't an issue or cars and bikes would be falling apart left, right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

For me it's now all about regularity, time and convenience which means using whatever I can get in Aldi (living in the sticks). So mostly it's bike upside down, turn crank running chain through dry cloth or old clothes, squeeze mucoff dry lube bottle while rotating crank, wait a few minutes and wipe excess off with a cloth.

Like others decided the dry lube better than the wet. Occasionally use GT85

Got a new bike recently and did nothing with the chain for several cycles. It was only a couple of months later when I heard a squeak that I got into the regular cleaning routine.

What sort of magic do new chains come with ?

• Advertisement

most guides online seem to suggest that factory lube/grease that comes on new chains should be cleaned off before use.

TLDR;

"Factory grease is a) pretty slow, b) gathers contamination rapidly and thus quickly becomes much slower again and much higher wear, and c) most top lubricants do not mix at all with factory grease (or dispel them). " - velonews.com

Refs

1. New chain grease - strip and lube or leave it? - TrainerRoad forum
    2. Technical FAQ: Should you leave the factory lube on a new chain? - Velonews
    3. Should You Strip The Factory Lube From Your Bike Chain Before Riding? | GCN Tech Clinic #AskGCNTech - YouTube

Can only say that from recent experience whatever came out of the factory was great. Only thing chain needed for the first couple of months was a wipe. I'd magic the same stuff on again if I could.

It is technically slower but in reality, wait for it, few here, if any, will notice the difference.

In as scientific a post as in the trainer road forum, ie, just my opinion. It will be the easiest time to clean your chain, when it's straight of the bag. I've done both, left it on and taken it off. Can't say I've had an issue with the factory stuff being sticky or picking up dirt more than any other pour on dry lube and it makes not a sound. I'm in two minds about leaving it on the next time, probably will for my commuter out of laziness and the realisation that it's fine for awhile.

My factory chain didn't pick up much dirt and regarding losing a couple of watts it pales into insignificance compared to the 45mm knobbly tyres that came with the bike (gravel bike)

I personally feel most of the stuff in the cycling industry has little to no science backing and that it's all about what works best for you especially as an average cyclist/non pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Install chain with factory lube , ride it until it needs cleaning then clean as required.

I always replace at 75% so don’t get overly bothered about exact cleaning routines.

Advertisement