Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court summon for tv licence

Options
  • 31-01-2023 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have court summon next week for last year tv licence non payment. I got licence for this year and have payed previous years. Should i go to court? Or they will send fine to my address even if i wont be at court. I have appoitment for doctor what i was waiting for almost year. So its importamt to attend the docor for me. So can anybody advise something?

And have someone didint attend the court?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Moved from AH where the post will not be taken seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Dymo

If you do not appear in court on the date stated in the summons, the District Court can either:

Go ahead with the hearing in your absence, or

Decide to adjourn the matter

If the matter is adjourned, you will be notified of a new date for the hearing. If you don’t turn up in court on the adjourned date, and the judge is satisfied you were given reasonable notice of the adjourned hearing, the court can:

Issue a warrant for your arrest to bring you to court, or

Go ahead with the hearing in your absence

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_trial/summons.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jolanta1214

I didnt have any previous courts. So i hope they will just go with hearing in my absence. I have emailed and asked for another date. If they wont give another One i will just not go because i cant cancel appointment and wait for another one in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jolanta1214

Thanks i posting first time here . Thanks for moving to right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭POBox19

Going to court is the right thing to do, failing that a written letter handed in for the judge explaining the reason for your absence and regret for not having last year's licence, adding that you now have a valid TV licence and apologise to the court for taking up their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,340 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, the best thing is to send someone to court with your current TV licence and let them explain to the judge that you have a long-standing medical appointment. If you don't turn up and there's nobody there on your behalf, you will get a big fine. Ignore the nonsense about an arrest warrant, that will not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Or explain to them, that you don't want RTE or T+G and to stick it up their hole..!!

I assume you subscribe to Sky, Cable, or some other paid for content?

Why should you be forced to pay for something you didn't ask for?

The TV Licence was relevant when radio & television was first established, like everything else, that sector has evolved beyond recognition today..

People can now pick and choose what they pay to watch - Not what they are told to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The issuing an arrest warrant following non-appearance is an option open to the judge. Unlikely in a TV licence case, but far from nonsense.

I saw a case recently where the registered owner of a car was summoned to court for non payment of parking ticket. The car had been parked illegitimately outside a hospital A&E department. There was no mention that it was causing any particular difficulty. There was no appearance. The judge issued a fine, and made a separate judicial finding that anyone leaving a car as this one was left was not fit to hold a licence, and issued a 12 month disqualification order! As far as I know there is provision in the road traffic acts allowing the district court rather wide discretion in relation to disqualifications for road traffic offences - but I wouldn’t have seen that coming.

So OP, don’t just not show! The handiest option my be to instruct a solicitor to represent you on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,340 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So unlikely that to suggest that it might happen is nonsense. Quoting the case of the guy parking illegally outside an A&E department and not showing up in court simply proves my point - the judge fined him and did not issue an arrest warrant. That advice you read on Citizens' Information was far too general.

Yes, a district court judge can issue an arrest warrant for someone who does not show up but this typically only happens if there is a strong possibility that the offence alleged on the summons will result in a jail sentence.

The OP had no TV licence on the day and has no excuse for not having one so a conviction and fine is pretty much guaranteed. What would be the point in paying a solicitor - what are they going to say in pleading? If your answer is that his fine will be lower because the judge will give hm credit for being legally represented, my response is that the reduction in the fine will not cover the solicitor's fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Whether or not your agree with the law or not, the law is the law.

The OP isn't going to be any better of by telling "THEM" to go stick it up their hole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

You don’t seem to appreciate the wide jurisdiction of the district court, or the variance that exists across the country. If an individual is summonsed to attend they must attend in person, or at the very least be represented - by a solicitor that is. You don’t send ‘someone’ to show up in court on your behalf. It would look foolish and the individual is unlikely to be heard.

As regards the outcome, it is entirely incorrect to assume that the matter is a foregone conclusion before the case has even been presented. There are various reasons why the matter could potentially be struck out - was there even a television set on the premises at the time of the alleged offence?

Citizens Information? I don’t follow where this comes into it? If you are suggesting that OP should seek advice on the matter, that would probably be a good idea certainly.

Most people would see an arrest warrant as being a much less serious occurrence than a disqualification order arising from a parking offence. My point being that the OP should show up or be represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭POBox19

Interesting article in the current RTÉ climate.

159 summoned to the District Court for not having a TV Licence. 37 no shows got €150 fine + €100 costs. If they turned up with a licence the case was struck out and the rest allowed to make an arrangement to pay with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Water charges were the law, until a significant majority said 'you work for us, we aren't accepting this charge, stick it up your drainpipe'. And it disappeared, at no loss to anyone who never paid a cent.

Yes, I accept that the TV Licence is a very long established levy, but perhaps its time it wasn't here anymore. And only disobedience by a lot of people will rid us of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

And the only ones who will end up paying it through taxes are those of us who an be bothered to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bazzerboy

I think the TV levy is a little different. It's been accepted for too long and if you want public broadcasting, all be it state-owned then they will pursue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My suggestion is not to replace it with other exchequer revenue, but to eliminate it, by cutting RTÉ operations by 60 or 70% and letting them rely on commercial activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

There's absolutely no chance of that happening though. Even the politicians lambasting RTÉ lately have been saying that (toy show musical aside) everything RTÉ produces is vitally necessary and needs to be invested in.

It's a FIFA-esque "oh we've gotten rid of that tiny number of bad apples at the top-now we can go back to business as usual, hand over the money please"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Comments like this are unacceptable. People sometimes go to prison as a result of not having a TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A significant chunk of the population are excused from paying for a licence, including the ones politicians etc are most afraid of, the grey haired brigade.

The "people that get up early" and afraid of a (ridiculous imo) criminal record will, as with everything else, foot the bill. They will suck it up, time and time again. They haven't the time or the energy to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Couldn't care less what you think..

Feel free to fund the crooks of RTE, but they won't be adding my money to their barter account!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭billyhead

You'll get a day out in court then. I am as angry about the RTE fiasco as everyone else is but the laws the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kimmage

I just got a court summons for not having a TV licence since April 2023, I'm in a house that is for sale since May 2022 and I've been trying to find accommodation ever since. I honestly didn't think I'd still be here hence why I didn't pay. I have since found accommodation and will be moving out in a few weeks, long before the court date for Dec 2023, does anyone have any advice for me? I can't afford the full licence atm as I live alone, pay all my bills and rent which has been increased recently even though the house is "for sale". Has anyone any advice for me? If I set up the direct debit payment will that cover me and I won't have to go to court? I've never been near a court in my life. Never had ant trouble with Guards or paid I fine in my life. This has really shaken me this morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

@kimmage

Buy the TV licence before court date and bring it along to show the judge- you MIGHT be lucky by just doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Also @kimmage

Just FYI, "thought I'd be moving out soon" is not a good reason for not having renewed your licence when it expired in April. A licence stays with the person, not with the address, so on the assumption that you'd also have a TV in your new accommodation, you could simply have brought the same licence with you - details on the Citizens Information website.

Also FYI - setting up a direct debit for a licence now is maybe your best bet all right - it's €13.33 per month. But be conscious that any arrears due will be taken with the first payment. That's five months since April, plus the first month of your "new" licence, for a total of just under €80 to put things right.

And I reckon that either way, you'll have to go to court to show proof that you've made the payments anyway. But pleading "genuinely didn't know I could bring the licence with me when I moved" and "I've now paid up in full" should be enough to see you escape any actual punishment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FlyingMoose

Hello folks - first time posting is a long time so forgive me if this is the wrong place - I've an interesting scenario here. I moved into my new house during Covid. I never got a license and never really heard anything about it during the Covid years. When Covid ended I started getting letters about it address to "the householder". Never did anything about it. Fast forward to May 2023, and the sneaky TV license inspector calls round. I open the door ..... explain "I've just moved in" and I'll get one sorted. He asks my name, I give a similar name but not my own. A couple more reminders come in, in the fake name, return to sender. Today I get a summons, registered post, didn't check the name beforehand but it's in the fake name. What does one do? It's a summons for someone who doesn't exist. I can hardly show up to court pretending I'm someone else. Do I leave it be? Wait for a fine to be issued, garda to knock on my door and then tell them they've got the got wrong person. Any advice appreciated? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Did the licence inspector photograph you when he called? What if he identifies you as the person who gave the name on the summons?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Why should you get off not having a license by showing you now have a license when appearing in court. Whether we like it or not the law is the law.

Would we accepted people summoned to court not having car insurance and their case struck out because the since got insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Is anyone actually renewing the licence. Alot of ppl I know have just stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭FionnB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

It's the concept. You break the law and in the meantime you put things right. When you turn up in court it's struck out.

Advertisement