Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you like a puzzle: lockups with a new GPU

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This thread is interesting. Have you looked at HAGS settings?

Also, could simply be a defective GPU.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I found something last night, the screws on the CPU waterblock had loosened over time, presumably through years or vibrations and thermal cycles. I've retightened them, and no lockups in the last 16 hours. It wasn't enough to disrupt contact with the waterblock, so temps didn't reflect it. But was it enough to make a pin contact borderline enough? I thought I was right before with the rail setting, and that seemed to make perfect sense too, so I guess time will tell over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Update on my issue too: I think it was a loose RTX power adapter - wasn't fully clicked into the 8-pin cables. No idea how I loosened it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I reseated the CPU and RAM, but no difference.

But I did also take the time to swap the GPU power cables with Corsairs own 12HVPWR cable. And then I found something. The third PCI-e power cable I had to add for the 4090 wasn't seated in completely. The little catch hadn't full engaged, and it was about 1mm short on one side. I had been paranoid about connecting the power cable into the GPU itself, having seen the various melted parts images that went round. But I wasn't so careful about the other end of it. Since I've fully connected that, not a single lockup.

A dodgy connection would explain the symptoms. There was no pattern in software or usage, because it wasn't a software or usage related problem. It was probably being triggered any time I caused any slight vibration by moving my chair or the like.

But this did also disappear for a few weeks before, so time will tell.

It last two days, then locked up a few minutes ago.

I just don't get it.

• Advertisement

It turns out there's a worryingly vague issue described in recent nVidia drivers:

[GeForce RTX 4090] [GeForce RTX 4080] [GeForce RTX 4070Ti] stability / TDR / black screen issues. Check for a motherboard BIOS update that states 'compatibility updates for Lovelace/4080/4090/4070Ti'. The motherboard update is in addition to any VBIOS update. Nvidia control panel setting 'Prefer Maximum Performance' may mitigate idle/monitor resume/crashing issues (workaround)

Which leaves me to wonder if I was trying to fix something I could never solve. And there's no way an X299 board is getting an BIOS update at this stage for it.

Advertisement