Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proposal Ring

• 30-01-2023 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Is it common to propose with a cheap "proposal ring" so the future bride can have a say in which engagement ring is chosen? What are your thoughts on this?

I doubt she will go for the €20k ring if let loose in the shop (hopefully) :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some people have said they've proposed with a 'lucky bag' plastic ring.

Others have said that they have accepted the "proposal ring" as it is their ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't see why you have to propose with a ring at all. Seems like coercion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I can’t say I have ever heard of anyone proposing out of the blue in the last 40 years or so… it was something the evolved and a decision was made to get engaged on a certain day with a trip to the jewelers before hand to select a ring. So I’d guess there was no actual ring involved in most cases when the couple made the actual decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Really?

I'd say the vast majority of my friends and associates popped the question out of the blue. I'm late 30s by the way.

Know cheap dummy rings are popular but I went and picked one with the option of returning it to the shop if she didn't like it. Lucky enough she did and all that was required was a slight adjustment in the size of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

That doesn't sound very romantic... might as well do the Tesco shopping on the way home:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I did it out if the blue and had a proper ring. But my now wife had given me hints over the years so I knew what she wanted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The proposal should be a surprise, but the engagement shouldn't. I think most couples would shop for a ring before engagement or at least heavy hints at what ring they would want.

I would also be of the opinion the man should receive a watch of equal value of the ring. Unless of course the bride's family is providing dowry.

Well maybe your generation is different…. But if you have been going our with someone for a year or so and one of the biggest decisions of your life is made out of the blue. I’d wonder at how well you know the person…. There is a lot of basic stuff to be decided before you sign up for life:

• Do you want kids, how many?
    • if you do have kid how do you want to bring them up?
    • Where will you live?
    • How will you manage your finances
    • What are your career aspirations

If you have discussed all of this a proposal should no be a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I used a €3.50 from Claire's shop to propose and went shopping together for something she liked.

I also had some of her dads ashes put into the band as a surprise which she loved.

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I got a half decent ring for about 200 euro for a proposal ring ,then let her pick the real thing whihc was another nice day out together

The only reason i got a half decent one for that price, is i knew she'd want to put it away for our first daughter to have so wanted it to last,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I proposed out of the blue (but obviously it was coming) using a Haribo ring at Downpatrick Head in the pissings of rain.

Later we went to Weldons to pick out a ring she would actually like.

Do whatever you think she would like the most would be my advice.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I went with a proposal ring. I'd a good idea of what she would have liked, and probably would have picked something very similar to what we went with in the end, but it was nice to pick one out together.

I also got her ring size hilariously wrong, so glad it was only on the cheap one!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Any old bracks lying around from Halloween?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ericbaker

I think the alexandrite ring will be the cheap proposal ring because the sapphire and diamond rings are highly expensive.

Advertisement