Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to turn off PMs?

• 30-01-2023 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Hello,

I have received a few DMs from other users over the past few months that I would consider threatening or intimidating and I am wondering if it’s possible to turn the DM function off?

I was advised by an administrator to report them to him personally and ignore them but I found how he treated the issue to be unsatisfactory.

Therefore I would like to receive absolutely no DMs now, except from moderators on official duty. I have zero interest in engaging with my fellow users away from the public threads.

Thanks,

Liv

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You can use the ignore function to block individual accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano

Hi one of these accounts was one I have had no prior dealings with, at least under their current account, so that’s not really a solution to this problem.

Are you really suggesting that there is no preventative measure to stop someone from sending me abusive DMs? I just want to turn off DMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,403 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've had similar last night from a re reg troll, so couldn't have them on ignore.

Can we even delete the messages?

You’re able to “leave the conversation” but there doesn’t seem to be anything stopping a troll sending the message in the first place.

I understand that you could turn off DMs on the old site, I think that it is essential they bring that back.

I’ve gotten three intimidating or abusive messages since early December, as I’ve mentioned before, and I don’t want to get any from here on out.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am pretty sure there is not that level of functionality on this platform, and I am equally sure it was not available on the prior platform either

• Advertisement

It was available on the previous platform, I am 100% certain if it. In fact I found a post from that era confirming it:

edit:

I found an old thread discussing the topic, confirming that individuals used to be able to turn off the PM function.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055928143/ability-to-block-pms

Post edited by CGI_Livia_Soprano on

It could be turned off and that meant a poster would be unable to see any messages from moderators

It was an all or nothing option

Hi Beasty,

That’s not true. The user could turn it off, yes, and the moderator could still send a message to that user provided it was for a yellow-or-red card warning or a ban.

I had a previous account (which I closed before opening this account obviously, and before anyone will suggest it I was not trying to go circumvent any bans) a couple of years ago where I had PMs turned off (like I said I am not interested in speaking to anyone away from public threads).

Despite that when I got received a yellow card warning from a moderator it went through fine.

Anyway my point is that me and another poster have been getting intimidating messages from other posters and I think that boards.ie should consider taking measures to prevent this from happening.

@Boards.ie: Odhran @Boards.ie: Mike I understand you’re responsible for the nuts and bolts of this site. Is it possible for me to turn off PMs so that people could stop sending me dodgy messages, including re-reg trolls?

Thanks,

Liv

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hi there,

I can raise this ticket with Vanilla and see what they could implement to facilitate this function going forward. Any updates I get on this I will post here to keep everyone informed.

For now and into the future the fact that you and others are receiving these abusive or threatening message whether publicly or privately they should be dealt with properly. Report these messages and they will be dealt with. Bullying or abusive and threatening comments are not tolerated here regardless of who they are made by. You can also send them straight to me if you wish.

-Mike.

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement