Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird banking error and possible GDPR breach?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

you think all that including investigation, internal fact finding, due process, reviews, appeals, judicial and data bodies all can have that done in the few weeks that the supposed event occurred?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

If you're going to accuse people of making stuff up you're probably better off choosing topics where you actually know what you're talking about yourself. It's entirely possible to withdraw funds from an account you don't have a card for. Up until recently I had accounts in three of the main Irish banks and only had a card for one of them. Then I withdrew the money I had in Ulster Bank, without a card, just an ID and a signature, so now I'm down to two. But still one of them I don't have a card for.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Aurelian

Write a detailed formal complaint to the banks complaint procedure address and you might get a few hundred quid by way of apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Thank God I don't have to deal with people like you anymore.......bane of my life......so much of my precious time was wasted on this sort of rubbish.

"disciplinary action against the cashier".....are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MicK10rt

Absolutely I'm "for real" this has caused a massive amount of stress in my household. If 8 done something wrong in my line of work I'd be hauled over the coal, and for very little. There needs to be accountability. The banking sector in particular have made many mistakes and it's only reasonable for them to be held to account when thet make further mistakes. They are a financial institution and they should adhere to strict guidelines to ensure monies are kept safe. I am livid over what has happened, my partner more so. We've now had to endure the stress of switching banks in Ireland, no mean feat and not a great deal to choose from I might add!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Absolutely I'm "for real" this has caused a massive amount of stress in my household.

A massive amount of stress? How so?

If 8 done something wrong in my line of work I'd be hauled over the coal, and for very little.

And if you make a formal complaint, the bank will then deal with it. Or are you looking for the teller to be publicly flogged to your satisfaction? Would your employer do that to you just to appease a disgruntled customer? (If yes, then do look elsewhere for a job!)

There needs to be accountability.

Have you made your formal complaint yet? How do you know that the bank haven't already undertaken measures to prevent a repeat?

The banking sector in particular have made many mistakes and it's only reasonable for them to be held to account when thet make further mistakes.

So you want the teller punished for the mistakes of over a decade ago?

They are a financial institution and they should adhere to strict guidelines to ensure monies are kept safe.

Agreed but it was the teller, not the bank who failed here.

I am livid over what has happened, my partner more so. We've now had to endure the stress of switching banks in Ireland, no mean feat and not a great deal to choose from I might add!

Would you go away out of that. Switching bank whilst an inconvenience is not a source of stress unless you make it so (and some of your posts on this thread would make me think that way!): https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/banking/switching_your_bank_account.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ya, that is not going to happen... no bank is going to discuss their internal procedures nor disclose the personal details of an employee as to do so would be in contravention of the very laws your are seeking penalise the person under.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

We've now had to endure the stress of switching banks in Ireland, no mean feat and not a great deal to choose from I might add!

Switching banks is easy-peasy. And what you should have done from the start.

You have to recognise that it was your father's decision to give you the same name, your decision to not change your name (even slightly) and to live in pretty much the same address, and your father's decision to claim to be you to the bank (add in the fact that Irish people seem to have some inexplicable allergy to having a national ID/number that would uniquely identify them, but that is outside your control). Yes, the cashier should have taken more care, but mistakes like this are going to happen from time-to-time with these underlying issues.

Ultimately, as long as there is a John Doe of 123 Fake Street and a John Doe of 124 Fake Street, your are going to run into confusing situations like this with any company.

Don't waste your time expecting the bank to do anything other than a basic apology. Now that you have changed banks, the issue is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have to say the OP/wife comes across as very easily wound up.

Yes, a mistake was made - but it involved a family member, and nobody is out of pocket, it was easily corrected once the mistake was noticed - the bank were never going to hand your money over to a stranger, since it was obviously the similar name/address that led to the confusion in the first place.

Looking for a public enquiry, and as someone else said above, the teller to be publicly flogged, seems to be me to be way OTT.

There are a lot of things to get worked up about these days, but for me this wouldn't be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Is it a formal joint account, in that that both your names are on the account? Or was it just an account in your name but which held funds to which your partner has a joint claim, but that's just between you and your partner, and the bank isn't aware of it?

If the account is in the name of John & Mary Smith, and the bank gave access to someone to a John Smith who was looking to access an account in his own name only, then that would seem to be an even bigger oversight than just mixing up two accounts in the name of John Smith.

If the account is just in your name, and your partner has no formal connection with it, it's hard to see grounds for complaint.

• Advertisement

What kind of response is that??? So ultimately it's my dad's fault for naming me. Another fob off. There is only one mistake here, the bank/teller

Both names on account, my partner does not have my surname. So yes, a big mistake indeed. One I simply cannot understand. Bank have really failed here.

At what point did I say my dad claimed to be me? Your seem to suggest he did this on purpose? Have you bothered to read through the thread? My dad was simply trying to access his account, it seems the teller didn't follow basic procedure here. How she could mistake my dad's sole account for one which was a joint account, two different names on account, different surnames, different date of birth, different address, Jnr and snr denoting the difference in my name at least, seems like she missed many opportunities to do the correct thing. Unimaginable really.

Anyway the commissioner will conduct an investigation into the data breach. The bank I'm sure will conduct their own internal one, whatever that even means.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

When you give your child the same name as yourself, you know what you are doing and accept that, at times, there will be confusion as to which one is being referred to.

he had very few details on him going into the bank

He had very few details, but did know that he has a son with the same name and similar address.

the cashier trying to be helpful

You've certainly changed your tune since starting the thread and now wish to persecute the cashier for "being helpful"

While I wasn't there, so can't say exactly what happened, but I imagine her "helpfulness" was to try and assist your father by trying to locate the acccount via the customer profile. He told her something like "I'm John Doe of Fake Street" rather than specifying that he has a son with the same name living on the same street and to be careful, and she entered that into the system, found a "John Doe of Fake Street" and then opened the account belonging to that profile.

Nobody here is saying she didn't make a mistake. But you and your father certiainly made it difficult for her, and now you are looking to punish her for being helpful.

As you said, you have now changed banks (the obvious solution), so why you need to make a mountain out of a molehill is beyond me (and your expectation that the bank will make a mountain out of a molehill is unrealistic)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Wouldn't the bank disclosing that a staff member had been disciplined itself be a breach of gdpr? You've made your complaint, the bank will apologize. You haven't been harmed by the situation, and are not out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭mykrodot

This is definitely a security and GDPR breach. The Bank would know this!

A data breach is: 'A breach of security leading to accidental/unauthorised disclosure of or access to personal data'

https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2019-08/190812%20GDPR%20Breach%20Notification%20Quick%20Guide.pdf:

I worked in financial institutions (banking) and was involved with the implementation of GDPR training when it was introduced. On 2 occasions it was breached when I was there and both involved serious ticking off for the staff member involved.

Both times a Data Protection breach had to be filed within 72 hours of the breach a detailed report outlining exactly what happened) to the Data Commissioner. One was a bank statement that was printed off but the previous statement on the printer hadn't been collected by another staff member and this was handed out instead.

Second incident was when the wrong letter was put in an envelope and sent to someone else, with customer details and balances. Serious apologizing is expected in these cases and the repercussions are serious too.

A data breach needs to be reported by the institution within 72 hours of the breach! This is the law and it is there to protect the consumer! https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/organisations/know-your-obligations/breach-notification#:~:text=From%2025%20May%202018%2C%20the,becoming%20aware%20of%20the%20breach.

Thank you. Probably the first post that is actually relevant to what has happened. The basement dwellers were out in force until now.

I spoke with the data commission and and now the bank has also supplied me with a reference number which they have given/received from the commission, so it finally looks as if they are doing something. Initially I was fobbed off my the local branch manager who seemingly was unaware, or at least let on that she knew nothing of the 72 hour time limit. It's obviously a breach of data, the bank have now admitted this, we've also been in contact directly with the bank DPo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Advertisement

Not all accounts have a "bank card", some saving accounts don't and all you need is the account details and valid ID.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Probably the first post that is actually relevant to what has happened. The basement dwellers were out in force until now.

I went back to reread my own post just now, as I thought what I posted was relevant to what happened.

My suggestion, which others also made, was to use the complaints process of the financial institution. Also a practical suggestion was to make sure that your dad brought in account details with him in future.

I consider that was a relevant answer so your assertion above, is somewhat unfair. My post was made in good faith and intended to be helpful.

Anyway as things are apparently progressing now with the DPC for you, I will leave it at that.

If you read the OP, the father still had the docket from the bank with the OP's IBAN, and why would you think it unnatural for a son to talk to a parent about important life event like "Sh1t, €xx,xxx disapeared from my Bank Account", and the father responding "That's weird, I withdrew that exact same amount from my account"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Yup, I was in the bank this week making a large cash withdrawal (when requesting in an online form they ask for name and account number), I rocked up, presented ID, they checked it against the list and presumably the account and off they went. They never asked for my bank card, done with an old school slip of paper.

Some "Joint" account require both to sign for a withdrawl, others only need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Post edited by irelandrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Deeec

In original post the op said that both him and his father have same name and same address. Then he said his address was slightly different and that jnr is on his account. Then he said his partners name is also on the account. So basically it's not the same name and address at all which is very different to what the op first posted - bits keep being added. All this should have been said in first post op.

If jnr was on the account, slightly different address and partners name on account it does raise questions how the teller searched and found this account based on the info given by father.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

is your account a joint account? Is your wifes name also on the account? If so, this only makes things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had a dormant account with ulster bank and when I went to reactivate it, I got a letter from bank stating account has been closed and funds issued to a cousin of mine with same surname. Ulster bank very quickly returned the few euro when I went to them. Don't know how it happened.

• Advertisement

Because it was a synopsis. I'm weary about giving each and every detail out. I could easily write a detailed account but rather than post it here it has been sent to the data commissioner.

Advertisement