If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Engineer role, costs, recs (new build)

  • 27-01-2023 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11


    We have had difficulty sourcing an engineer to do construction drawings and site supervision.

    We met with one and were shocked by the lack of knowledge they had about very basic modern technologies (unsure what MHRV was for example), and were clear that they are only responsible for structural and civil elements of the build and nothing else. They were looking for 10k to do drawings and site supervision.

    We may have skewed expectations of the engineer’s role and would appreciate some clarification to determine if we are expecting too much in hoping they will be somewhat responsible for the other elements of the build that they will have drawn, or if we need to adjust our expectations accordingly.

    Lastly, we would greatly appreciate any recommendations for an engineer who works in the Kildare/Carlow/Laois area.



  • Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

    How many did you meet with in total so far?

    "Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

    Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭SC024

    Structural engineers generally only deal with structural elements ie Foundations, Slab, hollowcore, specialized lintels / Steel required etc. for Mhrv/ heating etc that would be a mechanical engineer to specify / supervise and/or sign off..

  • Registered Users Posts: 38,450 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

    Why would you be surprised

    You met with a structural engineer. It’s pretty common for them the only deal with structural engineering.

    There are many engineers out there offering the full service. But I’ve said before that’s not any discipline of engineering. Just a gap in the market.

    Find an engineer that offers the full service. Or, more sensible imo, you want architectural services - go to an architectural service provider.

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

    Ventilation, MHRV etc are predominantly a Part L and Part F mix so usually done by the energy assessor.

  • Subscribers Posts: 39,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

    and site supervision.

    what level of "supervision" are you looking for?

    are you going down the "opt in" BCARs certification route?

    or are you opting out and just looking for mortgage sign off inspections?

    there can be many different professionals who offer certification on a new build dwelling.

    the waste water system usually needs to be "signed off" by a competent professional

    Part L can be certified by a competent professional as well

    structural elements such as steel, floor slabs etc can be signed off by specialist professionals.

    all these can provide ancillary certification which is collated by the "overall" certifier.

    in fact at large commercial level, the "assigned certifier" can be a professional / company who themselves offer no specialist certification, but all they do is collate all the different specialist ancillary certifications as their main service.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 homeimprove106

    Thank you for your responses.

    I was surprised because the structural engineer we met was going to have to draw construction drawings that allows for things like MHRV within the ceiling/roof height etc so it is really a basic component of their job. I appreciate that these elements are designed separately by suppliers who specialise in their own area. We're going to source someone who includes other elements of the design in their brief and are in the process of searching for someone appropriate now. It is more difficult to find architectural designers to get involved at this stage only.

    We plan to 'opt out' and want supervision that allows for mortgage drawdowns, but also provides sufficient oversight that gives us some assurances about the build being completed in line with specifications by the builder. Is the assigned certifier or 'PDSP' sometimes taken up by the client themselves or is this something an engineer takes on as well?

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

    You have to appoint a PSCS. It’s an additional cost. The person has to be qualified, expert and have the required competence to carry out the role.

    The engineer can act into this role once agreed and costed.

  • Registered Users Posts: 38,450 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

    It’s really not part of their job. Planning, design, construction. Layouts, systems, co-ordination. That’s architectural scope not engineering scope.

    The issue is that for years engineers have been providing architectural services on small projects. Where people now think it’s their job.

    You be better off with an architect or architectural technologist imo.

  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

    I put up a pose in reply to your post and it has vanished. I was not aware that my posts can be removed by other people.

  • Registered Users Posts: 38,450 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

    I didn’t see any other post. Unless mods removed it.

  • Advertisement