Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Something I've been wondering about is the assumption that some or most of the Ukrainians will be going back to the Ukraine when the hostilities end there. Would they be welcome there or would they be accused of running away and leaving others to fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

The vast majority are not from the war zone. They won't have any animosity leveled at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭Augme

Who says they are definitely being taken out of schools? If they are, not ideal but refugees can't expect to have carte blanche on where their state provided accommodation is based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'm beginning to wonder if this all ends in a massive war or genocide in Europe at some stage.

It's fanciful until you remember that 110 years ago a war which resulted in 40 million deaths started over less.

We already have a war going on in Europe, and a lot of very pisxed off citizens.

The one thing that doesn't change in history is human nature.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's actually why we have things like the ECHR, human rights laws, the ICC, refugee and asylum laws etc. Most of these were set up in the immediate aftermath of WW2 to protect vulnerable people and to try and prevent future genocides from happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

As has been pointed out previously, that graph tracks occupancy, not the actual numbers of claims.

As can be seen from claim numbers, the number of people arriving was increasing steadily in the years prior to COVID and O Gormans tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭prunudo

and time and time again these treaties have been shown to be not worth the paper they're written on.

How many times have we heard 'Never again'. Just look at what Russia is doing to Ukraine or Isreal to Palestine etc etc to see we learn nothing from the past.

are you actually trying to say 2016-2019 is the same rate as 2021 and his tweets to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭scottser

Deleted

• Advertisement

No I'm saying this graph, being based on the actual number of applications, shows more clearly that the number of arrivals was already steadily increasing before these tweets.

by about 600 extra per year. The rate of increase after 2021 is through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But without them (and bodies like the EU), it would be a total free for all.

It's incredible to hear British people to saying they want to withdraw from the ECHR. Without that, the UK government could reintroduce the death penalty, internment without trial, all street protests banned etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭engineerws

Very interesting link and surprised to see that Germany has more refugees than us.

Source figures here .

Year

Country ofOrigin

Country ofAsylum

Refugeesunder UNHCR’s mandate

Asylum-seekers

Other peoplein need of international protection

-

United States of America (USA)

One might think the USA would do more given they in large part were responsible for the Ukraine crisis according to John Pilger's prophetic 2014 article.

Year

Country ofOrigin

Country ofAsylum

Refugeesunder UNHCR’s mandate

Asylum-seekers

Other peoplein need of international protection

-

Ireland (IRL)

USA has about 4.5 times as many UNHCR refugees as Ireland while having a landmass over 135 times greater than rep ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭Jeff2

These people should be seen as enemy of the state and traitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Michael Mcdowell and

Michael mcnamara and

Peadar Tóibín..

If people could put in their sig wuo to vote for it would probably help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

All of which are now being abused by non vulnerable people and arguably need an update

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ooter

Couldn't believe it when I heard FF TD Barry Cowen say the words "illegal immigration" in the TV debate last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Did it never occur to you that people often tell little porky pies? Anybody can say what they know is expected of them in an interview situation.

Question: 'What are your views on the LGBT community?' '

Answer (carefully rehearsed): 'I think they're a great bunch of lads/lasses/non-binaries'

I'm sure that the asylum seekers are a mixed bag in their views on homosexuality but cultural attitudes in the places they come from tend to be of the 'down with that sort of thing' variety.

I mean look at Russia (a close neighbour of Georgia, where Uncle Joe Stalin and many of our asylum seekers come from) where a group of male Irish dancers were set upon by the ubiquitous angry mob on St Patrick's Day a few years ago, because the locals in some provincial town thought they were gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭tom23

Suprised RTE studio didn’t black out at the mention of that word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

It's a fair point. And it also applies to those who were offered Crooksling etc but left to be back in town

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Well, anyone born after WW II is of a generation that has grown up in a time of unprecedented peace in Europe but sadly, our history is wall to wall wars :( Europe is heading towards instability again.

I'm really fed up. Here's how I feel.

I don't hate foreigners or other races.

I'm not anti-Muslim. I've known many over the years and on the whole they're not religious maniacs. The more observant ones are more like practising Catholics used to be in Ireland years ago. Having said that the more of them you have in a country, especially ones who turn up randomly, the more you're likely to see an increase in the extreme ones.

I agree that Ireland should do our bit, as we always have done, to help genuine refugees fleeing wars or regimes, but in appropriate numbers.

I have no problem with a foreign national from outside the EU coming to take up a job they've applied for.

I don't want to see a 'right wing' party in this country but I would like to see a strong and sensible centrist party. I would never vote for a far right party.

BUT

I am against large scale immigration of random economic migrants. I'm angry about it and I'm very worried about it and what Ireland will look like twenty years from now as a result.

I don't think Irish people are in any way bigoted or xenophobic but I'm afraid the country will head that way and that our scum bag class will grow and latch on to immigration as another excuse to kick people's heads in. We don't have big cities in Ireland, with the exception of Dublin and Cork and even those are not very big by international standards so I'm worried that we will end up with an ugly, segregated and violent landscape in our little towns in years to come.

At the moment we have about 20% foreign born people in Ireland and that's a kind of fluid number as many are here legally to work or study and will return to their own homelands and be replaced by other temporary residents.

I don't have an issue with Ireland having a percentage of its population being of other races or ethnicities but I do worry about how that number will grow in the coming years as more people settle here permanently and if they do so as asylum seekers and then bring in their families, at what point will we see Irish people reduced to 50% of our population? Is that an eventual possibility? In the Netherlands the native Dutch population is now down to less than 75%.

And we can't ignore the stats from other European countries with high immigration levels where certain groups such as Somalians fail to integrate on any meaningful level and are twice as likely to require state benefits to live on. Why do our government and NGOs believe that Ireland who can't manage our affairs at the best of times will somehow avoid all the pitfalls that other countries have experienced?

My fear is that we are going to see a tsunami of social problems in Ireland over the next generation if we carry on as we are. And I really don't see how we can ever come out of it. There is a real danger that we, having survived 800 years of colonisation, will ultimately destroy Ireland ourselves. It's tragic really.

Excellent post Blind As A Bat. Sums up how I feel too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Id rather they stayed.

At least most are genuine, if the 100k goes back home it just opens the door and leaves room for another 100k chancers coming from Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It's interesting to see people talk about misinformation while simultaneously presenting facts that disregard probably the most important contextual information. In this case, you appear to have promoted a tweet by an Irish minister to greater contextual prominence than the outbreak of a European war which saw 6 million people fleeing Ukraine. This is hardly an irrelevance — the huge numbers of Ukrainian refugees suddenly injected into the European refugee system have undoubtedly increased the strain on the processing systems of countries and...yes...many applicants hopeful of capitalising on that will have done so.

It's also hardly deflection to point out that asylum applicant figures rose in the UK and Europe generally too. That's not to say that certain actions or policies specific to Ireland had no effect on the numbers that came here, but it would seem a stretch to say that "but for" a tweet or two, Ireland would have avoided the increases witnessed elsewhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I think your over complicating it - the tweets are dumb, he’s has years to take them down or edit them, he has not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, you've said it yourself — despite the insistences that multiculturalism and migration have precipitated the decline and fall of Europe, there wasn't exactly a Utopia beforehand and in relative terms we are faring very well compared to what came before in terms of peace, tolerance and prosperity. The Ukraine war has, at its heart, a similar imperialistic and nationalistic territoriality as that which spurred the world wars — not migration.

But you're also right that human nature doesn't change. There is nobody on the Right, Left or Centre who can confidently claim to set us on a course where wars and genocide will be no more. Migration and multiculturalism may well lead to conflict in years to come, but monoculturalism has not exactly proved itself to dissuade the existence of war or tyranny either. The key is that regardless of what paths we take, people are willing to keep cool heads and to work together (and compromise) to promote peaceful resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If they have jobs, kids in schools, accommodation here, I don't see lots of them going back at all.

Even if they didn't come from a war zone, it would still be better here than at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Quags

Must be some event the world media would cover in Dublin in the next couple of days 😏 Back by Thursday

https://x.com/Mick_O_Keeffe/status/1792832376265203932

• Advertisement

I think you make some fair points but there's also an air of "bad things are going to happen because human nature". We're in a pressure cooker situation and so much of it is preventable

Advertisement