Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Surely the camps, away from the towns or cities but with wraparound services on site are the best option now.

IPAs are brought straight to the camps to process their application. They stay there whilst processing is completed. They have access to sanitation, food, bed, medical servces onsite.

If they are approved, they can be rehoused. If not, they will leave the country but stay within the camp in the meantime. So they are not homeless, they are not on the streets and are still treated humanely throughout the process.

Given the numbers coming in and the fact we cannot process or accomodate the volume of people arriving, continuing with the current approach via IPO office, onto Crooksling or Citywest will continue to result in tented camps on the streets and unsanitary, inhumane conditions for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Quags

But did I not read before that Ireland had no obligation to take in refugees as, along with Denmark but signed up anyway and if so the gov already knowing how bad the housing was etc I may be wrong on what I read

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭sekiro

Oh well if they've been doing it for years then it's fine then.

As the famous saying goes "if you've been doing something for years with disastrous results then just keep on doing it, it'll be grand."

It's completely mind-bending to me that people can hear about this crazy stuff going on and the best they have to offer is "ah sure that's been going on for years".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭tom23

Jesus… thats where we are at now. 12 in a house. Could be any house in any estate. **** me.

Some may leave, but there are simply not enough spaces for everyone. Some have been turned away and remember the numbers coming in are increasing. They are not levelling off.

Last weeks arrival of 610 IPAs is over 31,000 annually if the numbers maintain.

This week we are expecting more than 610.

The accommodation currently is not there to cope with demand, regardless of whether or not a few people decide they dont like the look of Crooksling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭suvigirl

On the contrary, it has always been bad policy, I've personally pointed it out numerous times. Seems the majority don't mind until their housing non Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

So, the whole reporting media is all right-wing for covering this mess? The Guardian ,BBC are covering this, many other mixed news outlets across Europe too

"you'd think that Dublin was currently overwhelmed by endless seas of tents"

"an issue which is problematic but not causing the levels of disruption and sheer horror being made out in some reports. "

Sheer horror? I can't comment about how people feel about this mess but just because you've a passive attitude towards this topic doesn't mean everyone else is overreacting??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I agree. If people have been given somewhere to go, remove their tent immediately and take them either to the place they were told to go or as you say — a place somewhere where they can either be in their tent on a campsite or greenfield site somewhere and treated with respect, dignity and humanity.

But people need to actually be prepared to allow things to pan that way and appreciate that it's not just going to be problem solved and no more tents. That means trying not to go in drama-overdrive if a few more tents spring up for the next while.

I am [mostly] OK in principle with whay you say there. But the big problem is however — and will remain until we, the UK, Europe and several countries near the EU external borders actually manage to try develop a mutually respectful attitude and framework for helping each other to handle all this — that we are going to struggle actually removing people from the country.

So while I'm OK with either dignified camps or a facility, we have to be prepared for the reality of dealing with those we can't remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭prunudo

and one of the major gripes in Newtownmountkennedy was residents being kept in the dark. Cloak and dagger carry on by contractor's, lies and misinformation from the department, no visible name or company to contact.

Essentially it was going ahead, you don't need to know who, why, what, how big, it will happen irregardless of peaceful protests or legal issues. Genuine concerns and questions ignored.

And the most insulting part, the planning and procedures rule book that every other citizen has to follow in order to start a development, whether a side extension or multi house development, ripped up and ignored.

And to cap it all off, the community was ignored by politicians who were afraid to say a bad word about immigration policy, no matter how messed up it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You're totally right, "move along, nothing to see here"…. said the boiling Frog.

• Advertisement

I agree with your context here, but the issue is that the numbers arriving have dramatically ramped up and almost certainly have not peaked.

Realistically, 1,000 tents in the city by the end of the month is very likley now and with more room to grow.

If we dont change approach.

Post edited by BlueSkyDreams on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

As long as people are paid a subsidy to essentially live in tents, this problem will remain.

The reason they show up near the IPO is surely to lodge their asylum claim and in turn claim the subsidy.

Time to move the IPO office to the back of beyond and let them camp there if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭dmakc

Are you insinuating that the majority of the country is racist, suvigirl?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Now we see some of the hidden agendas coming out. So is this about protecting multi nationals investments in Ireland by being good little lap dogs to the EU??

Time to be like Denmark or Hungary for that matter and stand on our own feet. To hell with MNCs, all we're mostly doing there is allowing them to wash their profits through our tax system, getting a few extra bob and soon we'll be needing all this to support a flood of immigration. All the while beggaring our own young people and destroying our indigenous culture and way of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Don't suppose Harris has the guts to call in the British Ambassador and protest at the dumping of migrants in Ireland which resulted from UK's Rwanda policy?

We don't need to be "good Europeans" with the British, since they aren't themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Well I don't have a passive attitude to it, do I? I'm on this thread everyday, acknowledging the need for reform of how we tackle the issue of migration generally and, above all, reiterating my own opinion that a new international and pan-European policy is needed to try tackle the problem at its source.

But I still believe very strongly that taking a breath, a step back, and trying to put political and socioeconomic problems into perspective is a healthy thing to do for both your mental health and also your ability to look at problems through wider lenses to see what is realistic and what is merely aspirational. I'm also just cognisant of the fact that this is a wider issue than merely Ireland and there are global ebbs and flows that affect things in ways that are more complex than simplistic narratives of lefty liberals this and Roderic that.

And no … I don't think it's only reported in right leaning press. I'm just saying it's a topic which the Tories tend to press hard on in election seasons and with that comes a media interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭ooter

Defence force barracks have just been mentioned as potential places to accommodate IP applicants on the Claire byrne radio show.

IPO should be moved, yes. But accompanied by all functioning services for the applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Kier Starmer’s plan is he has no plan. Rerouting the Rwanda budget into a task force setup to tackle the human traffickers. That’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

I wonder, if the tents being given in airports now to simplify the process of integration?

Maybe Paul Murphy with PBP supply refugees with tents?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭prunudo

Shows how much the Government think of our security and sovereignty, that they think allowing hundreds of single men of fighting age, from various unknown backgrounds into Army Barracks, is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

why do you say "military aged males"? why not just say adult males, how come the military comes into it? always found this bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Keir Starmer stating today he will scrap the Rwanda policy straight away if elected and get MI5 to deal with the boats.

I think there is a pretty universal acknowledgement at every level, including government, of the need to change approaches. The problem is that the impression you get from some people, particularly on here, is that nothing less than somehow just ceasing the flow of people and booting out chancers and rejected applicants can be considered a changed approach. Any visible symptom of the current problem — again, a problem being experienced elsewhere even if it manifests itself in different ways in different countries — is invariably accompanied by some angry uproar of why nothing is being done and how much of a joke it all is etc etc

This is a problem, nobody is denying it's a problem. But people need to start realising that the symptoms of the problem are going to continue and pointing every single one of them out and getting angry over every single one is probably not a healthy exercise. A lot of what the future holds on this is going to depend a lot on what is happening in the wider world and whether the countries of Europe work with or against each other on this — and it's not all going to come down to Irish policy decisions.

He actually said 'fighting age' which is even weirder. There is a strange reaction from some in this country to single men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭dmakc

Military age generally speaking describes 18-40yrs, whilst adult as you know encompasses higher

Regarding military as opposed to young adults, I'm thinking this also contains the inherent assumption that if you're fleeing a supposed war, and are military age, then why are males outnumbering females 4:1 or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"Well I don't have a passive attitude to it, do I?"
    Well I definitely got that that impression from your previous posts like the example below from yesterday

"The Berlin Wall has not been rebuilt in South Dublin. There are many,
    many places to go. Try Herbert Park, bring a picnic and a bottle of wine
    or a few cans of cold craft beer and enjoy the luxury of your life in
    the largely peaceful, tolerant, free and [today] sunny country you are
    lucky to live in. "

I know exactly this issue is not just in Ireland, I've been around for the whole show.
    I've mentioned many possible solutions or possible deterring on previous posts including the Ireland immigration thread…

From your point about watching or reading right wing leaning media… Believe it or not, I don't read/watch that rubbish the Mail or that GB channel and the Guardian all riddled with rage bait articles from immigration to identity.
    People who are normally unfamiliar with politics are watching and monitoring this. In my opinion, we're entering a new phase in Irish politics with more right wing parties or local indo's looking to gain hugely. The optics just keep making this worst every single day, fences erected , buses of IPA(mostly males), tents lining up in new locations.

I agree about taking a step back, looking at the bigger picture.
    Where is the FF/FG/SF/Labour plans or stance on immigration or possible situations ?? This is the problem.
    Where is the middle ground to resolve this problem without the labelling and grand-standing.

When people are been trafficked into Ireland as genuine A/S while many individuals are amassing huge profits from this crisis it boils my piss. When I look at my kids growing up to possibly never owning a house of their own makes me comment here and call out the mess and or bullshit "Team Ireland" type of comments…

Advertisement