Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

this came up a few weeks ago with a person local to the area telling people this building was happening. At the time, it was believed no planning permission was required due to refugee usage. Now it seems it doesn’t have PP and requires it. Has the state and councils suddenly awakened to the clamour among the voters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Play stupid games win stupid prizes , they've crossed the canal now, that's too much, the fruits of a system run on toxic empathy

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've never argued in favour of 'increased' immigration, more that governments shouldn't get involved in trying to manipulate the figures for political reasons. Ten years ago we had net immigration of zero, ditto during the Covid crisis - that's just the natural ebb and flow of how immigration and emigration works.

On the specific issue of refugees and asylum seekers, I wouldn't have any issue with a strict tightening up of the process nor against deportations. The UK Rwanda scheme is downright bonkers and deeply cynical though…..deporting people from the four corners of the globe to some random, unstable country in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I believe they agreed to leave early this morning, so were allowed to sleep there for the night only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Overreaching much? While im sure there are some in the 620 pages on the thread, the majority of posters on here would have suggested no such things.

wont be the last though, "agreed" and ""allowed" come across as very weak, it really should be move or its batons and pepper spray

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Not withstanding this is an Internet forum that maybe 5/10% of the population frequent and I'm referring to our national broadcaster.

I can only speak for myself but I'm open to different view points but the vast majority of this thread is polarised. Both sides, not just anti AS side.

I've yet to see any points from the pro side that have made me go, oh thats fair I hadn't thought of that.

Because rightly or wromgly my opinion is this not overly complicated. The AS arriving here are not AS.

No amount of tongue tying will convince me otherwise. So I don't believe we owe them anything under international obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭jackboy

I know nothing about Rwanda. Is it still unstable?

With regards to deporting people from around the world to a random country in Africa being bonkers, that is no different to asylum seekers from around the world coming to a random country in Europe like Ireland. Either both are bonkers or its not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Everyone who does not agree with your view point is then, what? Stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

But I thought these people were just spongers.

Why is there so much hate against them when you can see in the video that these people are clearly not having a good time.

Quoting tweets that hashtag "ireland is full" says a lot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Northernlily

What I struggle to get me head around is, that's a significant investment.

Why would someone take a punt on something of that scale unless they had information that they would recoup their invesment? How could someone be so brazen to go ahead with no planning.

That is a similar question I have for a lot of the hotel acquisitions that were in non viable locations to run a normal hotel.

The business case would be weak for a quick ROI to run a hotel businesses if any return at all and investors would get a better return elsewhere. Why suddenly were these acquired and a few months later being turned into DP centres.

The whole thing stinks of widescale endemic corruption. Have we any investigative journalists in this country at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

"Who would have thought that the people of predominantly white countries would be, well, white."

I dare say the penny has dropped. I was making a comparison to "multicultural" Europe and pre-multicultural Europe — the original argument being that multiculturalism has made Europe unrecognisable (which I take to mean unrecognisable in a bad way, therefore a decline, but happy for the person who said it to clarify). So I'm comparing one to the other — and pre-multicultural Europe was pretty much all white Europeans.

That's it. Not saying "white people bad". Not saying multiculturalism has brought peace and love. Not saying wars and atrocities haven't happened all over the world and committed by all races. The conversation was about Europe — and decline — so I am comparing the present day situation to the past situation. Because that's how decline is measured, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

logically, all these businesses must be relying on a state bailout like 2008 should it all go tits up. The banks must be supplying the cash so we may end up back where we all started as taxpayers forking out money to save very wealthy individuals.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ultimately the long term solution to all this is for the EU to build accommodation and processing centres in Africa, Asia, etc which would cost much less and where asylum applications can be processed.

Encouraging migrants to make dangerous journeys across seas and oceans on flimsy boats and rafts is madness and leads to needless deaths.

Post edited by tobefrank321 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Kippure estate, being built by Quanta Capital.

https://x.com/squiddy3/status/1785414571047501987

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ooter

The nobody gets a veto reply is a belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Get outta here trying to reasonably discuss the issue.

What this process needs is loads more sloganeering. #IrelandIsFull

With a healthy dash of racism mixed in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Love this…

The migrants have taste. Why spend your days in unwelcoming rural communities when you could be in welcoming, friendly Ballsbridge where the residents are always advocating for you. Well done Ballsbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭pauly58

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/pat-flanagan-the-government-made-32723960 A well written article I thought, if there's one issue that will bring people onto the streets it's going to be the buying up of empty properties to rent out to immigrants. Try to sell that to people back living with their parents that can't afford rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The point is that there's a lot of viewpoints of asylum seeks just being illegal immigrants coming to Ireland for free houses, money and cars etc but the reality is that they're left with no choice to camp in a city park. Hardly a pleasure.

People seemed to have forgotten that we're dealing with real human beings here not just stats and they're going through a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ooter

Yep, my 2 kids in their 20s can't afford to even rent a place of their own never mind buy one, one of them is leaving the country next month. Stuff like this is just going to raise house prices even higher and reduce the number of properties available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The racism card is a scourge on this debate imo. There is no possible way to reasonably discuss this issue, without someone coming along and playing the racism card every so often.

Ultimately the migration crisis has little to do with race. Anyone who shouldn't be here, regardless whether they are white or any other colour should be sent back. There are well known safe countries in Europe where people come from and claim asylum and are rightly sent back.

That said we need to add a few more countries to the safe list and encourage those countries to better protect their own citizens, or withdraw aid if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If you're fleeing Death/Warzones and extreme poverty then a tent and food in Ballsbridge is like Heaven…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not at all. I just love balance and fairness. I hate when people are hounded off threads. You don't even know my viewpoint but I sense you think I am pro open borders or some such. In this thread you either nail your colour to the mast immediately or you are pro open borders. You have to admit there are a lot of loolahs involved in the anti immigrant movement (excuse the bland term).

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I see some of our best and brightest were out protesting outside Simon Harris's home.

Funnily enough the sign on the right almost reads a bit like:

South Dublin says 'NO CLOSE THE BOARDERS'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They absolutely have a choice

Let's be clear on that… no-one is forcing these people to stay here and sleep in tents on the streets or in parks.

They are just as free to leave the State and try their luck elsewhere in any of the countries they likely passed through to get here in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

So you want to house them in Europe, Ireland and in their home countries? These "centres" would be overwhelmed immediately when people realize they don't have to make the long dangerous journey to Europe to have a chance to suckle and the teat of the European Tax Payer.

Advertisement