Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for ideas for large walled gardens

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

Fruit orchard as already mentioned and if you want to make veg or flower beds use no dig method. Better for soil and your back :)

https://www.growitbio.com/post/easy-eco-friendly-way-to-start-new-planting-area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

If you're down near Colclough then also pay a visit to Johnstown castle walled garden.

I was going to suggest espaliered fruit trees but the walls aren't high enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Will have a proper look when I have time, thank you. And walls in the big walled garden are a bit low for trees. They may work in the smaller 1/2 acre garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most 'modern' orchards use rootstock which keeps the tree height low, makes for easier picking of apples (or pears, etc.); i sometimes pass orchards where the trees are probably 8 foot tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

If you plant and grow apples/pears/other fruits as oblique (45°) cordons rather than espaliers a wall height of 2meters will suffice. And you will have space for a greater selection of varieties. Just ensure that the root stock is M9 or possibly M26 if the soil is poor.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/apples/growing-and-training-as-cordons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Justa quick update, as the weather is fine and I'm in the garden.... Due to personal family issues, things took a pause during last summer and autumn. Since then, there's been some changes and an extension is being built at the side of the house which changes things ever so slightly.

I hope to have more updates during the summer as the garden begins to take shape, fingers crossed. For the moment, it's all muck!

Advertisement