Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge tv coming on Feb 1st

Options

Comments

RTE show consideration to the tax payer?? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

A worthless addition. Makes VM4 look good in comparison & that takes some doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I don't see how it is relatively open when you consider the fuss that TV3 caused for UTV Ireland and having to have the minister issue a public service designation. I also don't agree either recent additions of Sky News and Sky's Challenge or for that matter VMTV FOUR are much of a nice surprise. It would be nicer if the public service mux at least asked that Sky provide a some Irish content on either channel, but perhaps Sky might consider Irish sporting rights like the RWC and carry the Irish games on either of the now FTA channels!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Issues concerning local licencing doesn't affect the case that the current (and sole) DTT network infrastructure provider in the country, under the brand name of Saorview, is operated as a "relatively" open platform. In this way, 2RNs customers are the broadcasters whom are willing to pay, not the viewers of its broadcasts. They have no business case or legal mandate to add TV or audio services beyond those interested in their services as they are regulated, programme content is up to the broadcasters whom rent capacity on the infrastructure. Any issues concerning that either need to be directed at the broadcaster concerned or though other political means (BAI, local TD etc.).

As for recent additions to the platform, wherever a station is a "good" addition will be subjective. For viewers relying on DTT without any other "linear" service, they are extra options to have available. My "nice surprise" referred to service(s) suddenly appearing on the platform that had be static for many years.

So if I contact the BAI/Department/Local TD, much like TV3 did back in 2014, the Dept should ask the BAI to carry out a public service review and then the minister based on the BAI's report should delegate it as a public service broadcaster.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looks like it went live at 10:30 judging by the EPG data. 544x576 but that was to be expected, it's no better on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Nice Challenge Logo on the EPG, No Serial link on the channel yet!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The break bumpers are significantly louder than the content, or even the ads. That is going to be very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It's a good job I don't intend watching this. The onscreen questions text on Millionaire was almost illegible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looks like they're using a constant bitrate which seems odd to me. Also, they're pillarboxing 4:3 content which would reduce the horizontal resolution even further compared to if they transmitted it in 4:3 with the correct flags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Its a sad state of affairs that we are given this rubbish, its already available free to air on satellite, I just feel 2rn wants to fill up the muxes and get done with it after 10 years of stalling. If only we could get VM1 HD I'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Is this the same on their Irish version on Astra? Seems an odd thing to do.

I think the Irish ads are more pixelated on Astra than the programming, maybe something to do with how they are played out?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

2RN do not decide which commercial broadcasters decide it's worth going on Saorview.

No but AFAIR UTV Ireland had to get a public service delegation from the minister to broadcast on the service somthing that neither VMTV FOUR, SKY NEWS or Challenge seemed to get.

https://archive.ph/20141206222159/http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2014/Minister+designates+new+UTV+Ireland+channel+for+carriage+on+SAORVIEW.htm#selection-517.0-521.218

The Minister for Communications, Alex White, T.D., today signed the order designating the new UTV Ireland television service for carriage on SAORVIEW. The decision means that Irish television viewers who rely on the SAORVIEW platform will be able to view the new service when it launches on New Year’s Day 2015.

The designation was made following a determination that UTV Ireland “is a television service having the character of a public service.” The designation was made under section 130(1)(a)(iv) of the Broadcasting Act 2009.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

I would agree, of all channels available but a commercial operator looks at the figures, what does it cost to run and broadcast one of these channels. It may also be a situation where 2rn allow the service to develop with a view to selling the operation, it is what 15 years old, running and upgrade costs. Also RTE news are not allowed carry ads, which may have helped develop the service, is it still need in today's connected world, look at BBC news stream lining. There is a reasonable argument, licence supported v commercial but then what 4 commercial channels have joined the platform since launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RTÉ could ask the minister to allow them start carrying adds on RTÉ News and the extra radio stations.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

It is a pity that there are not more stations, BBC News would be good. It is a pity that BBC 1 NI and UTV are not mandated to be distributed to the south on saorview, the way TG4 is under the Belfast agreement and the way RTE One and Two Freeview CH 54 & 55 in some parts of the North (with MPEG4 / HD equipment even though it is SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

But we have all them on satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've been thinking the same thing. Who, in this day and age, relies exclusively on Saorview? Ok it may be useful for a 2nd set or something but I reckon most people will have access to the likes of Challenge or Sky News on satellite already. As a licence payer a part of me is happy to see some extra income for Saorview but boy is it the lowest of the low hanging fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What channels that are not available free on satellite would be the realistic preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Anyone from Warrenpoint to Sligo has a fair selection of channels from both sides of the border and might not bother with Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

IIRC some years ago BBC1&2 NI UTV and C4 were all to be on Saorview from the start. Sky Ireland and whoever had what is now VM wrote to the EU saying they had paid for the rights in the ROI and this wasnt fair. EU agreed so they didnt appear and this was 1 reason earlier buyers of SV pulled out. IIRC and I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

BBC channels could be on Saorview, in the same way as RTE, TG4 are broadcast in NI, but who covers the transmission costs. BBC, ITV C4 are already available, free to air,to the whole island via satellite, why pay twice. 2rn/ could pay the costs but then RTE would have increased competition, not for BBC advertising but for market share. They already face that competition on the subscription services, why increase the competition in the Saorview only market, whatever that is in percentage terms. Again, why Challange, Sky have a whole range of channels they could have put on Saorview, how much revenue can Challange generate, does it cover the transmission costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Why put a channel on Saorview, when it is free on satellite. If Saorview was setup a few years earlier then there might be more channels on it now. Why pay to be on a system that very few people use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,657 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ireland was very much in step with other countries in implementing the Digital Switch Over. Which enabled the foundation of Saorview to offer a lot more channels than were available on Analogue. The last increase in the licence fee was in 2008, before the switchover, so it is more channels for the same money.

Not everyone has a dish, so those with an aerial only will welcome Challenge on board, or they can ignore it. More choice is always good, and it is doing no harm to anyone who wants to watch it on satellite.

If RTÉ were offering more of there own channels then you could say it is more channels for the same price. The licence fee has nothing to do with Soarview or channels on that service.

Looks like Blaze and Sky Arts may also be added.

Anyone able to explain how UTV Ireland had to get a public service designation but none of the latest new channels have to get such a designation.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi Ro,

Have you a source for Blaze and Sky Arts being added, thanks

• Advertisement

not sure now of how reliable it is, they also are suggesting Sky News Arabia... I can't see that happening... :/

______

Yesterday

Advertisement