Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Times Digital Subscription deals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

I signed up to the 6 month deal in December. Got the email about the price increase so I emailed them,their reply was "your price increase is now €14 a month with your current subscription."...replied and told her to cancel. Heard nothing back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seems to be mixed messages about the current €1/month for 6 month offer. I emailed them also as my subscription expires in June and this is what they said ...

"Dear muffler

Thank you for your email,

Your subscription will go up to 14 a month after your June payment.

Kind Regards"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I cancelled my €1 a month for 6 months deal (which still has a few months left) and they offered me €7 a month to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

I phoned them, the guy on the phone wasn't sure so he said he'd find and mail me. In fairness to him, he did.

"I have checked for the new price increase and from the 15 April, the price of your subscription will be going up to €14 p/m as I can see you received 6 months of €1 p/m from January 2023 to June 2023 so the deal automatically renewed itself but this has now expired."

I'll try this and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I emailed yesterday based on others here reporting that the price was going up on this. Last night my sub renewed for another month at €1, and then today I got an email offering me 3 months at €7 a month, so I just left it go. I have until 13th April now and then it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Did anyone try contacting Conor Pope 🙁

But seriously if The Irish Times is cancelling six months for €1 a month offers because of an increase in the full price they are in breach of contract.

It's a consumer issue a bit close to home for Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bullmccabe2010

I’m halfway through my 6 months at €1. I emailed and got this response-

“ Thank you for your email, You still have 3 more payments at 1 euro before it will go up to the new price of 14 euro.“

So it would appear my 6 months contract is being honoured.

Thanks.

That seems clear and conclusive.

I think we can stand down Conor.

Hold your horses. Yesterday they told me that it would go up after my last €1 payment in June but when I queried another point this is their response today ....

"We have increased prices for all our digital subscription.

Unfortunately with your current subscription offer, at your renewal you will be charged our new monthly standard price of €14 per month.

Your current subscription offer unfortunately will not continue into the month of June"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

I signed up 31st Dec to the €1 per month for 6 mths offer. If you go into your account transactions you'll see the wording of the offer:

"Subscription Purchase (Auto-Renew): Standard Digital Offer Six Months - Exclusive offer: €1 per month for six months (Your subscription cost has been discounted by 91.66%)"

The email I got from IrishTimes on the 11th March includes this wording:

"On your next renewal, you may notice changes to the discounts or promotions previously available to you. Your existing discount will be adjusted to reflect the new price for your subscription."

I think we are all fine once you are still within that initial 6 month period, just that the discount that is being applied will need to be higher so that will get adjusted and will read 92.86% for the remaining months. Worth noting on that section (p) iii of the new Ts&Cs still references the €1 for 6 months offer. https://www.irishtimes.com/policy-and-terms/terms-conditions/#updatedPrices

Never mind the fact that this 'low start offer' is still live: https://www.irishtimes.com/subscribe/lowstartoffer?offerName=6monthOffer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭wassie

Pushed them again and got this response.

I'm really sorry but the €1 offer will not be something that we will be offering from the 15th of April. 

You would still have one more payment at €1 and then it would go up to full price. 

The best I could offer is 3 months at 50% off from the full price which would be €7 per month.

Inconsistent responses going by this thread which is frustrating.

Messy to say the least.

You'd wonder how many are in the Subscriptions Department and how come they can't have a clear consistent answer.

They should honour the deal and then everyone would be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm halfway through my (first) 6 months at €1 per month offer as well and got the same mail about the increases last week.

I read it as, and would expect that, this increase kicks in AFTER my current offer (at which point I'll be cancelling as it's a convenience, not an essential, and not for that price).

If I get charged more than that for next month's payment I'll be cancelling immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭wassie

Update: So after a couple of emails back and forth last week, I ended up requesting to proceed to cancel my sub if the price was going up.

Today I received another email from customer support now saying the original offer will now be honored if I didnt want to cancel, to which I agreed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So that means they are continuing all six months for €1 per month subscriptions until they expire and then they move to the current full price of €14 per month.

So my €1/month subscription was due to expire in June and I now have had 3 different replies from the Irish Times with 3 different stories. Take your pick as to which one you think is correct.

1. Your subscription will go up to 14 a month after your June payment.
    2. There will be a price increase across The Irish Times on the 15th of April and all of the €1 subscriptions will renew at €14 per month as that offer will be finished.
    3. Your current subscription offer unfortunately will not continue into the month of June.

Just opened the app and the following is showing...

I'm currently about halfway through the €1 per month for 6 months offer.

Time to cancel I think!

That notification appears to be specifically addressed to subscribers currently paying €11.99 informing them of an increase to €13.99.

As you are on an introductory offer of €1 per month it doesn't apply to you.

You could be jumping the gun by cancelling.

Read back though the last few posts as everyone has been notified of the price increase. I dont think the people in the Irish Times actually know what they're doing. I was on the €1 per month up to June next but I was told 3 different stories by those people so I cancelled and took up their offer of €7 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I signed up a new account that for the €1 a month deal, let's see how long it lasts. Had cancelled a different one three months in as they said it was going up to €14

• Advertisement

I messaged their support last night as well so we'll see what they say to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

their subscriptions / sales dept needs a bit of an overhaul. That said I’m happy to pay.

Well here's another different reply to add to the pile... I'd asked if my existing offer would continue till the end or if this increase would be applied from next month...

Better than nothing I suppose!

Bit of a result.

But that office must be a strange place to work.

The words pi** up and brewery come to mind.

Still I wouldn't be without the IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

I'm on the €1 deal, I froze my card and they just tried take the €1.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bullmccabe2010

4 months into the six month deal. I was told they would honour the €1 per month until June and sure enough they did. €1 just came out for April and not a penny more.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Just re-signed up for a euro a month for 6 months using link at start of this thread… an no its not an April Fool :-)

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Thanks. I had recently cancelled but will happily stay on for another 6 months at that price

• Advertisement
Advertisement