Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crow Population

Options
  • 20-01-2023 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Anybody any information on crow populations(crow,magpie.grey crow,jackdaw) today compared to 100 or 200 years ago. Heard from someone that high crow populations today are responsible for less game around nowadays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,642 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Grey Crow and Mag population is much higher due to exploiting expanding urban areas and expansion in spruce forestry. Also alot less being culled nowadays due to fewer active GC's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

My only personal experience this year more so is there seems to be more black rooks and Jack jaws about compared to greys and magpies think they are having effect on a lot of food sources for smaller birds and crops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

The rook, known as the ‘crow’ here, has been moved from the ‘least concern’ category to ‘vulnerable’

Interesting, seems to more an issue in the UK and mainland Europe in terms of declines. Same with the Starling which appears to have declined alot in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Probably from global warming. Long droughts etc.

• Advertisement

Could be a factor alright cos they need softer soil to have access to food like worms, leatherjackets etc. Thats why they have never been present in areas of the EU with a Med climate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Same with starlings. No ground to pick food from. They have the same problem with hard frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

No idea of populations nationwide, retired hunter so not out in countryside these days.

Numbers change every year dependant on weather and the availability of food, you have good years and you have bad ones.

Plenty of crows (all types) plus jackdaws, starlings and magpies in towns and smaller villages today as there’s plenty of free food available for them. I’m seeing far more gulls this year than in previous years and I’m not living in city or very large town.

The buggers (crows, daws, jackdaws and) starlings which are a pure/dirty pest raid my bird feeders on a daily basis.

The fight goes on.................

Advertisement