Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Clichés you despise

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭brokenbad

"The game is in the melting pot as we approach the final quarter"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭letowski

Don't hear it as much now in recent years given their success, but the phrase:

"Limerick never feared Tipp"

always made me smile/roll my eyes. It's as if the team bus might be jumped in Borrisoleigh or something on the way to Thurles lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

The Limerick/Tipperary one, for some reason, is probably the classic example of this but the "x won't fear y" or "won't fear playing at whatever ground because they have a great record there" is incredibly common and incredibly meaningless. I'd say most teams live in the here and now and read much less into what happened in 1986 or 1940 than supporters whose peddle that stuff. Unless other teams need counselling for their fears at the same thing what is the point. But it shows the tendency for people to resort to cliches even when the same people would slag off others for using cliches.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Especially prevalent in hurling when the referee dares to interrupt the murder and thuggery by occasionally giving a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Meath won't fear the Dubs. We might get walloped by 20 points but we won't fear them 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

"X should win but Cork are Cork"

"Tipp and Cork is the only real Munster Final"

Just because a team has had more success than others over a long period has no real bearing on anything in the here and now.

So glad Limerick have finally put this sh1te to bed over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"X always put it up to Y" despite you just showing them 20 years of minimum 15 point beatings on Wikipedia.

Usually it means x put it up to y for a few years when the "expert" was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

"We were pushed to the pin of our collar." Never hear this said in any other sport.

"Nobody gave us a chance coming up here today" or "People have been writing us off all year ", usually coming from the bookies favourites.

"The lads were chomping at the bit to get out there today to prove the doubters wrong after the heavy defeat last weekend"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There's so many phrases, I'm not in to GAA but there's loads I recognise.

It's sort of very cool, a rich tapestry of sayings and vernacular particular to one nations sport. Very Irish to utilise the English language in such a creative way, you'd never hear the like of it on Sky Sports or ESPN.

My wife was listening to a GAA match with her local team in the car once and the commentator said "O'Conor has left Dwyer behind like he has a puncture".

• Advertisement

The flask of tay and hang sandwiches from the boot of the car on the side of the road....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Absolutely!

In all my years following Mayo I have never once seen it happen but you'd swear it happens all the time if you were to pay heed to the cliche.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

See Mayo don't play Tipp that often.

Genuinely saw a fair amount of it around Limerick when Tipp came to town last year.

We were always told the country folk also tie wrapped their hubcaps because they thought we would steal them but apparently it's actually about them popping off on bad country roads.

Advertisement