Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fun 2nd car - recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭djan

Beaut of a car, the black is a pain to keep clean but looks fantastic! Great spec too and some performance more so with the remap. Check if the cooler or air intake has been changed as that's common enough on them too. Enjoy 😃

Interesting to see some of the dismissive comments just because it's not a lightweight two-seater. A fun car is different for everyone and compared to 95% of cars on the road this is definitely fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Thanks a mill djan. The intake is standard, will get a closer look at the intercooler though.

We checked underneath and its on Einbach springs. It has 20 inch rims which fill the wheel arches lovely but makes the ride is very firm. Potholes are not pleasant but it's extremely balanced around corners, obviously back end doesn't move out so not as fun in that regard but I was down in Wexford today on back roads and it was friggin awesome.

Black is a pain alright to keep clean, same as our other car, it's dirty hours after a wash. Pain in the hole but for those few hours it looks great haha

Just to clarify on the "2nd car" for those who didn't read my posts - it's a 2nd car for the family, and is really my main car. It still has to be practical.

I drove a BRZ, not a GT86, but practically same car and it was horrifically underpowered. Fun in the bends on B-roads (I assume, I didn't get a long drive) but that lack of power would always nag at me..I have a neighbour who changed his GT86 for a Yaris GR and loves it, says a million times better.

E92 M3 was in my list but thought too much for the performance difference, going back 8+ years or car age and mileage with it. But yep a better car to drive no doubt.

Did another dragy yesterday with smoother launch, just 3 more hundreths to find lol.Yes I know, it's coz it's 4 wheel drive and has an advantage and it's just a useless real world stat, but it's still fun to do.

Someone mentioned the aural experience and the smell of petrol - I can't argue with that. It's spot on what this car is missing for me at least (I'm happy with how it drives round the bends). The granturismo sound and presence was awesome but the performance was just that tiny bit disappointing (and no tuning will make it better). The cla45 sounded very good for a little 2l. The 435d sounds brutal!

Anyway thanks for the feedback positive or not. I drove most of the cars in the list to decide and happy so far. Not sure if everyone commenting has driven all these cars but good to see opinions - might help inform other people who look up these cars to decide. For me a 435d stage 1 is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I was going to suggest this! I went for a look at it lately, gorgeous car in the metal.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/172-bmw-640i-msport-320bhp-auto-rare-38-000mls/31591028?campaign=3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Similar price (albeit 10 years older) - this would be my idea of a fun 2nd car. 🙂

Thanks for creating the thread OP, one of the more interesting ones on here. Funny how you ended up with something very different to what you originally had in mind! Did you ever look at importing from NI or would that have been too much hassle?

• Advertisement

Thanks, was an interesting few months and surprised myself tbh.

Re NI, I did indeed, I made calls about a 2010 Granturismo S (4.7L model), a 2016 Cla45, and a 2017'sh S5 (4 door sportback version). I couldn't get an exact vrt quote on the GT, but it seemed like I could have got it in or around 43k all in. Cla45 all in was about 37k which was definitely cheaper than ROI. S5 was 40k or so all in I think.

But annoyingly none of them were registered in NI before Brexit, they came in from the mainland more recently, so VAT/customs etc would have applied on top of VRT.

Guessing garages up north are "importing" lots from the mainland and so harder to find actual NI registered cars pre Brexit.

Post edited by elbyrneo on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Is there a way to check online whether a car was registered before Brexit or only over the phone?

Good q, if there is, I didn't use it!

I just called the dealers - they all knew exactly what I was asking, used to dealing with ROI customers no doubt, answers were immediate...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bm69

I have a mint E92 M3 for sale. I have had it for 3 years now and cannot fault it.

It's a grand tourer so it has comfort but is also 420bhp in m mode so is ridiculously fast and fun when you want it to be. It is a proper 4 seater and has a large boot so it really ticks all the boxes

Last V8 and last M3 coupe ever made and they sound unbelievable. They bottomed out in value around 2 years ago and are on the rise now.

If your interested in having a look at mine let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Advertisement
Advertisement