Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor is refusing to return funds

Options
  • 18-01-2023 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Around 15 months ago I transferred a reasonably large sum of money to a solicitors client account for the purchase of a property. There's been a few obstacles since then which delayed things considerably and a couple of months ago I decided that I'd had enough and I did not want to proceed with the purchase. I let the solicitor know about this via email and formally requested the return of the funds that I had sent to his client account 15 months ago.

It's been six weeks since my initial request and I haven't heard a word from the solicitor. I've sent several emails since which he's failed to acknowledge. I've called his office over a dozen times and the receptionist just fobs me off telling me that he's in court or he's been really busy but that she'll pass on my message with the promise that he'll call me back.

I'm at a bit of a loss here. This solicitor is withholding €250,000 that belongs to me and he's ignoring my requests to have it returned. Why would he be doing this? I need this money now to purchase another property but I won't be able to if he doesn't return it to me promptly. What steps do I need to take in this situation to get my money back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

nm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Packrat

Isn't the answer fairly obvious?

It's gone. They're avoiding you because they've spent it.

It's not like there weren't other highly publicised examples of legal eagles doing this over recent years...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Start here and do it now ;

Legal Services Regulatory Authority – Independent Regulatory, Standards and Complaints Body (lsra.ie)

You may also have to file a formal complaint with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Was this solicitor at fault for not completing the purchase of the recent property.... what's the problem with using them again to complete the purchase of your current property interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

At what point did you transfer the funds? Is there a contract of sale signed by you?

Whatever about anything else, it’s very hard to defend being unable to contact him. I would up the efforts, call at the premises again, track him down wherever he is, and find out if there is a reasonable explanation as to why he has not returned the funds (there could be).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Take a day off work, go to his office and sit there until he returns. Don't be threatening or intimidating, be unfailingly polite and explain to the receptionist that you're more than happy to wait until he's back from court or free from his work. He has to leave sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

First thought-in-mind

Solicitor running a type on ponzi scheme and is now f'd to give the money back

Like the above poster mentioned. Just wait there - do not leave. When he's explaining about returning the money, don't leave until satisfied. Do not be mr. nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

My brother had a problem getting an appointment, was getting nowhere over a number of months. My sister rang seeking an appointment using her married name. She turned up for the appointment with my brother in tow. Get someone using their phone to make the appointment in their name for you. Take them by surprise when you show up too.

Advertisement