Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Door to door sellers - why do they think its funny

• 18-01-2023 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I work from home. I'm also autistic, as are my kids. Life is stressful enough without door to door sellers. I have signs in my window...and yet they persist.

Today was some idiots from "Phone Watch" (going by the fluoro jacket of one), but it's been others.

They not only noticed the sign on clear display, they followed that up by pointing to the other sign in the side window (for those who struggle to comprehend that I don't invite cold callers).

They must get little in the way of sales as it is, what is it about them that makes them think that clear messages that I don't want them at my door, are not only to be ignored, but ignored with vigour and the attitude that it's hilarious?

Complained to the Gards for what that is worth. And Trustpilot, their FB site, to them via Twitter and email, and a FB group I'm in.

Hope they sack the idiots.

Mod: picture removed.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Really? Take down the photo. He's just trying to earn a living and probably didn't notice the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

implied right of access. they have the right (until you remove it) to come up your front door or to a gate etc.

guards cant do anything, they have sone nothing wrong until you ask them to leave and then its still a civil matter

why would they be sacked. they are doing their job that they are being paid to do. their job is to walk up to your door and sell you something.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are only doing their job. They are employed to sell door to door.

If you don't want to answer, then just ignore and continue with your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I never want to see them coming to the door either, i don't buy anything of them but try to be polite as they are doing a pretty thankless job.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I was offered a “management role” (their words) training these guys. They rarely last more than three weeks and over 30% are fired in week one. It’s a crap job done by badly trained money starved young people. I declined the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What makes you believe they think it's funny?

Do you do your job for the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

You have taken a photograph of this person at their work. And you published it. Did you have his permission?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OP, one of the first requirements of a door to door sales person is that you call at houses where people are in. Your notices says you are in and there is the chance that you’ll buy of them just to get shot of them.

Take down the notices and disconnect the door bell during periods when you don’t want to be disturbed. See how that works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Kurooi

Not much you can do sadly. I work from home and it's so frustrating having people come up to the door during my work. I'd even say look I'm working right now and most will say they will come back later but some still go "Just 5 minutes"

If you can , just straight up turn off the doorbell and let them stew. I generally just don't answer the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Get yourself a ring doorbell. Politely tell them to go away if they ignore the signs and ring the bell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I would be more inclined to point out the notice to them and tell them to please respect their choice. Don’t entertain any sales pitch and say good bye and close the door.

No point having a sign like that up and then have to suffer through a sales pitch for something you don’t want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭victor8600

Next time a seller comes, ask them their name, company and the phone number of their manager/supervisor. Then say good bye, close the door and call their supervisor to complain. After some time all sellers should avoid your house as a plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

They don't need his permission. But it's not a nice thing to do nonetheless.

This is an idiotic approach imo.

Firstly, they are just doing their job. They have no advance notice that you don't want callers.

If you want to be least alone at times, its quite easy to have a doorbell that is easily silenced. You don't have to answer a ring or acknowledge it.

It takes 10 seconds to decline a sales pitch. To get their details, ring their manager, spend some time on hold, etc. Will take some time to get to the right person. You have little to no grounds to do it. So seems silly to waste an hour for the sake of a 10 knock at the door.

And even then, if if it stop that company calling. All the callers are different companies, so there is little benefit long run

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There needs to be a 'do not knock in ta fook list' similar to the 'do not call list' for unsolicited phone calls with fines of €11million for the first offence, that way you would know when pure 100% cultural con artists are calling.

They have no advance notice that you don't want callers.

Nothing apart from the signs the OP put up.

Do you understand not what advance notice means?

Prior to calling at the house they have no knowledge of the signs. They have to call to the door to see them, if they even see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

I have some sympathy for the OP here.

D2D sellers are doing the job because they fancy themselves as prospective mulitimillionaire-by-their-twenties geniuses along the lines of what they see in The Apprentice. No sane person would actually do the job (and look back to past threads in the Jobs topic to see the nightmare conditions).

As a result they try all kinds of "clever" sales tactics. I have had experience of Phonewatch and they are bad, utility companies worse.

I make it a point to state that I will never buy anything off a D2D seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Permission not required. Photograph taken on the OPs private property.

Exactly. I have multiple signs up too and simply don't answer the door. I WFH as does the mrs and our offices are not in eyeshot of the front door, meaning no one knows if we are in or not. The local postie and the usual courier ETC knows how to get our attention but other than that we simply don't answer non preannounced callers.

I'm also autistic, maybe that's part of the reason I find this problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

It’s a job and often quite a badly paid and unstable one. Just tell them you’re not interested and move on with your day.

I won’t buy any complicated utility services from high pressure selling like that and just tell them that I’m not interested - end of story. It’s impossible to do a comparison of rates etc etc

Most of them are very polite, friendly and that’s it.

You’re also under no obligation to answer the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

OP put yourself on the do not call list, door to door sales people have this list, it applies to phone calls and door to door sales. Problem solved.

and then they see them and go away without ringing the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭victor8600

For you and everyone else saying that "D2D sellers are low paid victims of circumstances who are just doing their jobs", I have no idea why you continue to defend them, the fact that they are paid little does not give them a right to behave like jerks. The OP has a sign stating they don't want cold callers. It would be a common courtesy for a D2D seller to read the provided sign, turn back and go away.

IMO, it is your "idea" of disconnecting the doorbell that is lacking in intelligence. The doorbell is there for a postman, or a friend to announce their anticipated arrival. Not for the abuse by some real-life spammer who can't read a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't think it applies to D2D sales .. https://www.comreg.ie/advice-information/unsolicited-contacts-national-directory-database/

I even get D2D people representing a utility company of which I am already a customer. And the reason they knock on my door is that they are not working directly for Sky/Virgin/Bord Gais/Airtricity. Data protection legislation means that, as independent contractors, they cannot be given a list of existing customers. And if they had such a list, they'd probably go straight to one of their competitors and get hired to poach those customers.

I would see no point in complaining - I don't believe that any utility company is going to maintain a list of 'do not knock on these doors'. Why would they bother with the administration? Because there is no law that says you cannot knock on random doors, regardless of what sign is on the gate or front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I can't help but have some empathy for these people, you have to appreciate that they may not be neurotypical and don't see fully understand your stance on callers even with all the signs. Have some compassion, they've chosen to walk a hard road instead of the dole queue.

A firm no thank you with some respect & friendly appreciation for calling is all that's called for. If they're persistent & can't read your obvious signs, body language & lack of engagement have some feelings and tell them that nobody in the household is responsible for the property decisions.

Be nice. Some day it could be one of your kids out there trying to make a tough living calling to houses before they go on to do great things. I'm a photographer, I'm VERY pro photography & publishing in public places & in my personal property, but there's a line...

A friendly & convivial rebuff is a lot easier, shorter & calmer than an antagonistic, unfriendly & hostile encounter for you, your kids, and the caller that's under pressure.

Of course if they seen the sign they should be expect to respect it. Assuming every D2D person sees it is idiotic.

Where did I mention disconnecting the doorbell, what a dumb suggestion. I think you need to improved your reading comprehension. Silenceing a doorbell doesn't mean disconnecting it. Pretty standard feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

@ELM327 Permission not required. Photograph taken on the OPs private property.

Surely permission is needed to publish the photograph on a public forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Why would it be needed? Once the photograph is taken then copyright is owned by the photographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

I did door to door sales for airtricity for a bit, they had the do not contact people on a list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Data Analyst

I feel for you OP

But I’m guessing ignorance is probably part of the job spec to get this type of role.

They don’t actually work for the companies who they are selling for.

it’s simply a very basic marketing company.

Advertisement