Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer Over Reporting My Income to Revenue

Options
  • 16-01-2023 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I don't receive payslips in my job unless I specifically request them. Having trust in my employers and being paid the same amount every week for my hours worked, I haven't requested them for quite some time now. I've just logged into my revenue account and looked at payroll submissions. It appears that my weekly gross pay has been over reported (by over €100 a week) to revenue since September of last year. I'm wondering the consequence of this. What is the benefit to my employer of over reporting my income and what are the consequences for me personally in terms of tax and what I may be due back at year end? Is this an issue I need to raise with my employer/revenue? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Are you getting any benefits in kind, like health insurance paid by your employer?

I can't understand why you're not getting weekly or monthly payslips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hollybeanz

The payslips have always been there for me, had I requested them. It's a casual work environment I suppose and I do know there is a legal requirement to provide payslips. I just was trusting my employers to get it right and foolishly didn't ask for them. I'm not receiving any benefits in kind and what goes into my bank account every week hasn't changed. It seems they've just started reporting me as working a 40 hour week when I actually work a 32 hour week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I dont think they report hours worked, they report pay received by you. I dont know how they would over report this unless doing some manual method, my payroll software cant do this anyway, it reports what is actually paid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The benefit is that it's money accounted for but it seems bizarre and more likely one of two things. A slight error when inputting data and the error was continued or you have forgotten something that changed. Better off getting a few payslips and checking as no one here can answer without more data. Say it's for a bank thing if queried and you don't want to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You'd need actual payslips to figure out if your gross is over reported. Is your net pay the same? If your net pay is the same then the gross is likely correct as that is what you are taxed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Hollybeanz

I do have access to payslips and have got the most recent one. What it says on the payslip matches what's been reported to revenue. But it doesn't match what goes into my bank account. My payslip says that my net pay is almost €80 more than what I actually receive into my bank. So it is most definitely being over-reported to revenue and I'm just worried that this will negatively affect me in terms of a tax refund at year end but also in terms of applications for things like the national childcare scheme which pulls your income information from revenue and decides on your entitlement accordingly. It'll assume I'm earning €80 more a week than I actually am earning, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Deeec

You need to query this with your employer . Either there has been an error made which needs to be corrected by your employer or you are owed wages by them. Your employer is the only one who can sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That doesn't make a lot of sense. The payslip matches the revenue figures but the net pay is not what they paid you? Talk to your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

If your payslip matched revenue but not your bank account then you're being underpaid, not over reported to revenue.

Ask your employer for the difference to be paid to you.

Advertisement