Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of going electric

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭horse7

First thing to consider when deciding to get an EV is will my house be capable of supporting the electrical supply for a charger (32amp).. If you have an oldish electrical cable from the meter (10) you will have to update to a 16 type cable, and if you have an old fusebox (1000€) you have to get a new one. The work has to be certified (500)€ and the ESB have to come out also(190€), you could spending up to 3000€ before you even buy a charger (800€). To help you decide the government will give you a 600€ grant probably until July. If you charge at a public charger it will cost more than using petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭allinthehead

No hassle there, house is fine in that regard, but you make a very valid point and it's something most people wouldn't even think about.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

I was chatting to a guy before who said he didn’t enjoy the ev experience at all. No home charger. Big outlay to get fuseboard upgraded. For me I actually had the charger installed before I ordered. I was that paranoid.

Really it is the first question people should ask

Atm question 2 is will you get the car before the grant possibly goes in July

Two big outlays there which could cost anyone considering an ev the bones of €10k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

• Registered Users Posts: 65,056 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Body and frame parts mainly. Google IDRA giga press and you'll get the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

One of Musk's mottos is: "the best part is no part"

Sounds simplistic, but Tesla's high margins (because of very low production costs) can most certainly partly be contributed to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Thanks guys. Sounds good. Certainly less things to rattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Had forgotten about the Giga Press..

Just back from driving the Model 3. First thing I noticed is the massive screen, takes a bit of getting used to. Lovely car, plenty of power and size wise is bigger than our Is300h so no issues there. Adaptive cruise is nice, lane assist didn't seem to work at all even though it seemed to be turned on, stereo is decent although I couldn't find how to adjust treble/bass etc, hopefully I can get it sounding better. It was very high pitched with the treble setting.

Feels like a solid car, no rattles and suspension is nicely set up. It's much better looking in person than the photo's suggest, the car I drove had white seats and a white band across the dash which nearly gave me a headache. I was surprised because I thought I'd like it in white.

They wouldn't budge on the price of 46,900, (even when I mentioned recent price reduction) offered me 10k for mine, so cost to change for me would be 36,900 on a 1 year old car. Cost to change on a brand new one with the interior I want would be about 31,500. Should get about 13/14 selling myself and dealer said he'd buy mine for 10k even if I didn't buy from them so worst case 34,500.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The lane assist which is called AutoSteer is enabled with 2 pulls down of the Autopilot stalk… 1 pull only activates Autopilot (adaptive cruise control), and 2 pulls of the stalk activates AutoPilot & then AutoSteer (will work best on motorways/well marked roads).

It also has lane keep or whatever it's called, the system that bounces you off the lines if you don't have the autopilot (Two flicks down on right stalk) turned on. But only operates if you are not actively using the steering wheel, much better imo and less intrusive than other makes particularly on rural roads where it is not always possible to stay within lines..

@allinthehead Just back from driving the Model 3. First thing I noticed is the massive screen, takes a bit of getting used to.

The only problem is once you get used to it, doesn't take long, it's difficult to go back...😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Everyone will make the judgement call based on their personal circumstances.

Were it me I'd just knock 3 k off the budget for the car and drive on.

Especially as you now don't actually need to own an EV to qualify for the charger grant.

So you could pay 3 grand this year and buy the EV at a suitable future date knowing you are fully ready for a charger.

My other concern is that if you are locked into driving ICE cars because of the 3 k bill - you will probably spend more then 3 k trying to keep various ICE cars on the road past a ban.

Obviously if anyone is unsure about their home - they should get their electrical system checked before buying the EV.

I had the car for an hour and never really knew what speed I was doing, it's a pity it doesn't have a HUD. I suppose I'll adjust.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is that kind of worst case in an old house or is it a case of a complete rewire being needed on some cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭horse7

Your electrician will advise you.

Sometimes a complete rewire would be required. Any decent spark would be doing a quick check on wiring prior to installing.

Of course plenty would just drive on and install regardless. Ev chargers contrary to popular belief are not just a 32 amp socket and Fires are quite common post installation in older properties. What other appliance is running at 32 amps for up to 10 hours? Choose your installer carefully.

☀️

You will, very quickly. It's not that far out of eye line, actually even on cars such as the Ioniq 5 the speedo is at the left of the binnacle.

• Advertisement

I had a look at the Megane and it's a beautiful looking car, too small I felt for our needs though and top spec too expensive. Niro is okay looking, nice to drive but didn't do much for me.

I put the deposit on the Model 3 last weekend as I suspected it would be the best choice given the charging infrastructure.

Very happy with the decision, will be installing a BPE smart charger next weekend so should be good to go. The BPE is about 300 less than the Zappi with all the same features. Tidier looking unit too.

All the advice received so far is very much appreciated so thanks to everyone who contributed 🙏.

And now we wait.

☀️

The second hand Model 3 you were talking about or a new one from Tesla?

One question herself had was, is the glass roof an issue on sunny days. When I did the test drive it was a miserable day.

☀️

Have had no problems over the last summer. Don't think I ever pre cooled the car, used to crack open the windows via app in hot weather. Possibly need a blind of some sort in hotter climates..

Just to add, the black roof on Teslas is a bit of a heat sink, the car itself will get hotter inside than for example the wifes' all white Ioniq 5. But haven't had any problems with it been glass. My previous ID.3 also had a black roof (Not glass) and the Tesla doesn't feel any hotter inside.

Was with my mate (in continental Europe) on a very hot day (was going to be late 30s that day) and 10 minutes before we were supposed to go away in his Model 3, he checked his app and it was 67C inside (parked in his dedicated parking spot in full sun light). So he switched on the air con in the app and when we left the car was ICE cold - pun intended 😁

That's a great feature. I assume you can pre heat too?

☀️

• Advertisement

Yes, even a few minutes is effective and uses not much energy.

And of course you can include your seat/s and wheel

Advertisement