Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theres no money in photography

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Benmann

The papers do not want to pay though, not local papers anyway. They ask for photos from people but don't pay.

Do people who send video to the national papers get paid like this for example? https://www.irishtimes.com/video/crime-law/2022/09/20/garda-car-rammed-in-cherry-orchard-dublin/

How much would that have paid? Edit I see it says footage posted online, can the papers take it free.

A friend of mine had a good shot of news item on twitter and a news outlet took it and didn't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

No! Newspapers or any media outlet are very reluctant to pay for any media usage!

They'll offer you named credit but you get that on any site!

I had to go after two media outlets for payment after they used images & recordings

I had made & put up on FB. I wasn't looking for a lot but I did get a small payment!

How did you get it. I am in a similar situation. They said send invoice I sent but no reply and calls ignored

edit got paid

Post edited by Benmann on

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I initially called into the newspaper office looking to speak to the editor & when she rang me

back I argued my case & to be fair I got a cheque in the post that week!

I also rang the radio station looking for the lady that reported the local story using my

photography & sound recording & again argued my case with her!

Another cheque in the post that week also!

I'll never put an image on FB again without my name splashed across the front of it!

FB is just too convienient for news outlets to rummage through for something

to add to their stories without them having the decency to acknowledging the creator of the works

or to even consider payment!

Well done. I had to make a row too and got paid. I told them I would make a poster saying they stole my photo and drive with it on my car and stand outside their office. I agree with you re facebook. I stopped too

• Advertisement

They'll offer you named credit but you get that on any site!

Very hard to cash named credit. In book on licensing photos it said a cheque is worth a thousand likes!

editing to spell 'cheque' properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Oooh feels like years since I posted here.

Its funny that so many people are taking photos on phones, but I rarely see people out with a camera. When I take mine out (a little m4/3) the looks I get. Its a strange sight now to see a camera in the wild.

I would have loved to make money from photography but I don't have the social game or time to dedicate. I did a friend's wedding once, The photos came out decent but it was horrifically stressful, never again. I've made a few hundred now from licensing on 500px, but I rarely even upload anymore.

Posting on Instagram and other social sites is like throwing a cup of water into the Pacific.

During Covid, I learned how to use Lightroom finally and I have been trying to improve my PP skills. These days, Im fairly busy with the kids so I spend more time watching photogs on Youtube than I do actually going out shooting.

Advertisement