Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to the US - Health Insurance

Options
  • 13-01-2023 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Hoping somebody with experience may be able to advise on taking on short term health insurance. I am moving to the California next week on a EB2 NIW visa. This is a permanent residency green card visa which is self petitioned and doesn't require a company sponsor or job offer. As such, I will be moving without a job and employer health insurance scheme until I find a role in the coming weeks/months. I imagine this would be a similar situation to those who win the Diversity Visa lottery.

• Is anybody aware whether my Irish VHI health insurance which has international coverage for travel will cover me as I initially am travelling before permanently settling down?
    • Similarly, would standard travel insurance cover me for this period if I don't have a return date?
    • Alternatively, could anybody recommend a company or package for short term insurance until I can switch to employment cover (provided this is offered and the policy kicks in)

Further details that may be of relevance: As a recipient of this visa, I get a temporary visa sticker in my passport before receiving my green card in 1-2 months after entering. I don't know at what point I become a resident of the US and no longer am visiting?

Any advice or direction would be much appreciated.

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I moved on a self-petitioned EB1 visa. Green card. Permanent resident now.

As far as I'm aware, your travel insurance may not work as you are now considered a permanent resident. Essentially, you are not travelling by their definition.

Do you have a job lined up already? What's your profession, if you don't mind disclosing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I don't know if your circumstances qualify, but Medi-Cal, the state-run medicaid program, may be an option until you find a position ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Travel insurance will most likely be invalidated, but call them. In reality you are going out there for a couple of months - if a job comes up you will make it permanent

If it is not confirmed as valid by vhi You will certainly need some level of insurance in the US and cost of entry level plan will be about $300 a month.

In reality, any half decent plan will be about $500 a month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

healthforCalifornia.com

MediCal: See eligibility requirements and questions asked on application.

Note: Private insurance companies may or may not cover all counties. Or if covered, may vary the contents of coverage and premiums, deductibles, and fees by regions and counties. Some plans require you to specify a primary care provider (GP in Ireland) before enrollment. Others require that you pick a PCP from an approved list. And just because a PCP is on the approved list does not require them to accept you as a new patient (many have maximum case limits and may have waiting lists).

SoCal typically has the best selection of private insurance companies and plan options and PCPs. Some parts of Central Cal can be limited. The Sacramento and San Francisco Bay Area is somewhat similar to SoCal. The further north above the Bay Area you go, the less you have to choose from in terms of plans and PCPs. And the fewer PCPs that have room for new patients. Employment health insurance is the best way to go in NorCal, especially close to the Oregon border.

@Robbie0013

Post edited by Fathom on

Advertisement