Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair's 'underseat' personal items bag.

Options
  • 11-01-2023 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Frequent flyers, a question: I just purchased a very light holdall which folds into its own pocket to use as my small 'underseat' bag with a view to using it on Ryanair (or other budget airlines)

The Ryanair website lists the acceptable dimensions as a max of 40cm x 25cm x 20cm. It turns out my bag is actually 45cm x 30cm x 15cm, so about two inches wider than this.

I will be careful and not stuff the bag. My idea is to pack what I want to bring on, stick a 2L drinks bottle or similar in one end, and close the zips comfortably, with a bit of room to spare. I'll then take container out, ensuring that there's this amount of empty space, at a minimum! It's got no structure as such, ie no hardened base or edges so there is a lot of give when it is not packed heavily.

Assuming this, will the dimensions pass? If you flew with Ryanair recently was the underseat bag measured? I'm confident it will fit the allocated space but it is over the dimensions listed. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Allinall

You won’t have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As good as advice on the internet goes I think you are unlikely to have a problem.

If it was a hard edged case you would have a bit of concern but it being crushable should put you in the clear.

But don't quote me 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

As you described it, you’ll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SinSceilEile

Thanks folks. Appreciate the feedback. The bag is very light indeed so will squish into any slot once it's not overpacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I don’t think Ryanair care too much any more about cabin bags in general. I can’t remember the last time I saw them hand out the yellow stickers or check anyone’s bag at the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

how will you get the 2l drinks through security?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

You can bring any size bottle you want through security once it's empty and fill it on the other side 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I've rarely seen people being pulled for oversize luggage, Birmingham in December was the last time and before that it was probably Fuerteventura 7 or 8 years ago. Aside from Covid times, I use Ryanair 4 or 5 times a year so unless you're really ripping the p*ss you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Had no problem with a 46 X 32 x 18 backpack last month which fitted comfortably under the seat in front of me. Because another passenger from a different row shoved their wheelie case into the overhead locker in my row the cabin attendant pulled MY holdall out of the locker above me to make room for it! Fortunately the seat beside me was empty and the holdall fitted under that sea - always fun and games with cabin baggage and it makes for great pre-flight entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anything goes as long as it fits under the seat, well on my last four flights with Ryr since October that is. You should have seen the size of some of those backpacks, a sherpa wouldn't cope!

Anyway, for info, the dreaded middle seat on Ryr has a much bigger underseat space than either the aisle or window. Just in case you need to know!

• Advertisement

Last month a security assistant spotted my drinks bottle and asked if it was empty.

I said yes and she told me put it in the tray.

It was the first time this happened to me as usually it's hidden in the bag and goes through the scanner without issue.

It was one of the UK airports.

A lot of airports have "hydration stations" now where you can fill a bottle for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Ryanair staff were gleefully directing pax towards their blue bag measuring yoke in Fuerteventura last October & collecting, there were some pax who were taking the p1ss though, one acted as a spotter walking along the line & then tipped off the other who nabbed them so it does happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

Fuerteventura used to be dreadful for that but I hadn't seen it in a good while, I flew out of there in November last so it must be very hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

In my experience, Ryanair ground staff abroad are more attentive to bag size/weight, etc.

I remember flying back from Portugal once and a young woman joined the queue for boarding at the gate. She had a fairly large cabin bag and an equally large backpack. I wondered how this would pan out for her. It got very interesting when she put the backpack on her back and then put a cardigan on over the backpack. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in an airport. It looked like she was giving a dwarf a piggy-back. Needless to say, she had to pay for one of the bags to go in the hold. or they wouldn't let her board. If I recall correctly, it was either €50 or €60.

As regards the original post, that size bag will be fine once you pack it so that's there's a bit of give in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭satguy

The staff in Fuerteventura are well known for bag size checking,, they are also very very slow at the check-in desks.

I see the same 2 or 3 staff members cause trouble for people trying to fly home every time I am there. Once they held up the check in line so much some people nearly missed their flight.

Other than that, I have never seen anyone have the cabin bag measured at other airports..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Saw it in Gatwick a couple of times last year for the Dublin flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

My mate got caught out before Christmas flying to Glasgow, he wasn't totally taking the p1ss but it was a hard case and bigger than dimensions. My case was almost the same size but I got through.

To the OP you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I haven't seen them checking bags in quite some time, certainly haven't seen it since post-covid, and some people have massive ruck sacks. At 2 inches over, you'll be almost guaranteed completely fine. If it was a proper wheelie bag, you might have some trouble but otherwise you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Sling it casually over one shoulder. You'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭beachhead

They sleep with eyes open on Gran Canaria.Your bag will be ok

Just waiting to board Ryanair flight and they're pulling oversize carry on bags without priority

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This might be interesting as I travel from Stansted to Madrid next Friday. My trusty carryon bag has always been "oversized", I've never tested it in the blue box thingy (nor do I plan to), it has wheels and an extendable handle but more importantly, it has arm straps and is soft like a backpack. I does fit under the seat but when the bag is stuffed full, it is a bit of a squeeze to get it under there (it shouldn't be too full for this trip. . .I think). Now I full know, had I ever wheeled it up to the gate in it's ~15 years of service, it would have seen the hold more times than not but I never have, carried on as a backpack and it's never been given a 2nd look. I wonder if the next trip ruins my perfect record. . . .

Once it's on your back your chances are greatly improved.

However past performance is not indicative etc.

You could be caught out anytime.

Dublin to the UK, about 6 people got caught. One stupidly had a hard shell wheely case but the others were soft sports bags/backpacks.

Hi are you referring to underseat bags only? If you are I agree with them, some of the non priority no frills passengers are taking the absolute p"ss with the size of some of the bags they intend to place under the seat.

Cabin Max Metz backpack is the regulation size that I use and while it looks very small, it's ideal for a short trip no frills no priority. A slightly bigger one would be ok too I reckon, as they are just culling the real p"sstakers who will not pay for an overhead bag and try to bring that size or near enough for underseat.

I have a cabin max correct size too and I'm always amazed at how much fits in!

Yes it was under seat bags, tbh none of them had any chance of fitting under a seat. Actually on that, I think it's unfair how small the under seat storage is for the aisle seats, totally disproportionate to the others.

Flew back today and couldn't believe the free bags some people brought on (and clogged up the overhead bins with) and the staff didn't bat an eyelid.

Cabin Max FTW!

I fail to see how staff allow those with underseat only to put their bags overhead. They are last in the queue as non priority, and by the time they get on how the heck is there any room left up there!

I really hate the stress of finding a spot for the overhead bag. By the time I get on (priority, and early in the Q) the bins are nearly always choc a bloc. But have to say staff will find a spot for it even if it's many seats away, no choice I suppose! It's all a bit disorganised right now, especially if non priority can put their bags overhead, what the hell are the priority folk paying for! Regarding the size of underseat, I agree with you, that's why I always take the DREADED middle seat, I'm not bothered about seat positions, as there is a huge underseat in the middle. Taps nose.

I'm reaching the conclusion now that (touch wood) baggage issues are receding that checking in a bag is best for me when I need to bring a bigger bag. No worries about trying to find a space. OK I'm a spacer lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm at Stansted Gate 83 just now - not been this side before, its kinda old. Anyway, Madrid flight, there are people wheeling up feckin massive looking yokes and going unchecked. I'm going to hang back until the end, fluked an aisle seat near the front :D

Advertisement