Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat pumps in the summer

Options
  • 10-01-2023 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

My oil boiler is coming to the end of its days, and the tank needs to be replaced this summer. I have had somebody out to see if my house is suitable for a heat pump, and it is - B3 before I got a better front door and re-insulated the attic.

However, I also did a job on my back garden in the last couple of years, and sitting at the kitchen table with the double doors open on to the garden during the fine summer weather (when we get it) is one of my favourite things about it. We would also throw open the windows to let the fresh air in. The more I read about heat pumps, the less likely it appears that I'll be able to do this if I don't want to make the heat pump work extra hard to compensate).

Often during the summer we wouldn't use the oil heating for weeks at a time. Would it be possible to turn off the central heating but keep the heat pump working for the water during the summer and get around it that way?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You would be using the heat pump in the summer while the doors are open. Some heat pump dou as an AC unit. Obviously you wouldn't run the AC with the door open

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

You wouldn't be heating the house in summer as the house is already warm. I set thermostats to 16 and the house barely dropped below that all summer

My hot water tank temp is set to 47 degrees. If the stat drops below 34 degrees the heat pump will come on to heat the water.

If the house is warm and the tank is full, the heat pump won't go on

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Okay, that’s great. It just seemed that everything online was as saying that if you have a heat pump the house needs to be hermetically sealed and don’t ever leave doors or windows open even in the summer, so this is good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

In winter yes. Keep windows and doors closed.

Your energy advisor needs to confirm your HLI is less than 2 preferably.

Have good controls installed if you do go ahead with it. Different heat zones per room would be ideal, but a bit more cost.

I was looking up a hone system recently. I'm have to look into it further, but at first glance it looks very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 36 skeating

Hone does look interesting.. hard to find any user experience beyond their case studies.. I wonder if anyone knows someone who has worked with them ?.. not spoken to them as yet but planning to do so but would like to see some real world opinions first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 skeating

I have a retrofit beed BTW. Burning oil at the moment..

Advertisement