Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad tiling.

Options
  • 08-01-2023 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I had 2 tilers in and this is the job on one bathroom they done. It's a bad job and they were paid, any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

No pic linked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jacob13

I give up.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Ha sorry didn't load

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭bmc58

Don't be so quick to judge.Poster messed up.Give him a break,he's under stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How much was it?

A good tiler costs money. Have you wiped them clean? Apart from the grouting where it meets the wall tile its not so bad. Ask them back to finish or else up on facebook you go.

3k for 3 bathrooms but I bought all the tiles and grout etc so nearly 5k. The floor is completely off .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'll be honest I'm struggling to see anything wrong with the tiling other than the first picture

There's a lot of leftover grout on the tiles, but that seems fairly typical of a tiling job.

Tilers do exactly what it says in the job title, try lay tiles. It's a bit of a messy job and they can't clean the tiles until they set and they don't come back to clean up afterwards

It's easy enough to clean however, one of those sponges with a scrubber side and some hot soapy water and a lot of elbow grease will clean them up. Best to use one of the sponges for non stick pans that aren't as abrasive

It looks like there's a gap between the skirting board and the tiles in picture 1. This is probably there intentionally as tiles need an expansion gap

They really should have put silicone sealant around the edge but they might have just forgotten. You could ask them to come back and fix that or do it yourself

It also looks like there's some messy edging at the door saddle in second picture. And the tiles don't go under the skirting boards which doesn't look great

Again, I'm going to go back to the tilers do exactly what it says on their job title statement. If you didn't specifically say you wanted the skirting boards and door saddle lifted then they won't do it

In fact they'd probably tell you to f**k off if you asked and get a carpenter in for that, or they'd put the apprentice on it

The corner in picture 3 looks a bit messy, I'd say it might be worth asking them to come back and redo the grout

Otherwise I'm not really seeing anything they'd be coming back for

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I understand all that about the grout and cleaning it. They are coming back to fix things. From the saddle the floor is off as in not horizontal its har to see but look at the saddle, the floor is off and it's off going all the way back to the wall.

• Advertisement

This is the downstairs toilet

Floor looks dodgy and they gave up on the pattern

Oh sorry I didn't realise you'd be offended by my post that had zero to do with you in a thread where you had zero other input.

That's the best picture you have put up and yeah there is no excuse for not following the pattern in that floor. It also looks like one of the wall tiles is not grouted but it's hard to see. The other pictures are shockingly bad though for anyone to give a good critique.

If you want some expert advice before they return then put up some good pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Okay I'm starting to see what you mean

So there's two ways of doing tiles, that good way and the cheap way. Looks like you got the cheap way where they didn't match up the grout lines to give you the nice pattern

For the gap at the door, I'm guessing the room isn't exactly square. They probably started at the opposite wall using it as a reference and laid rows towards the door

Because the two walls aren't exactly parallel, then the last two isn't straight

Again, the cheap and fast way. A lot of good tilers will start from the centre and move outwards so the differences balance out

Tbh, the main question is what you expect the tilers to do about it. It's not like they're going to lift all the tiles, get new ones and suddenly become good at their jobs

They shouldn't have done the bad job in the first place, but unfortunately that's what happened and tradesmen don't give warranties

This is why I hate dealing with tradespeople

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

There's so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin, like a bad tiler.

Yeah you are rite I hate dealing with them aswel, the last day when they were finishing up I had the full flu and just wanted to get bk into bed and paid them. I suppose it's my first run in with cowboys but I won't be leaving at this il be getting it sorted one way or another.

Paid them but never went over properly checking everything, I never give money over until I'm satisfied but as I was saying I was dieing with the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

How many days were the tilers working on the job ? and were the basins and toilets removed for the tiles to be layed ?

Why didnt you inspect the work each night after they left and point out any issues the following morning when they returned.

I dont see a whole lot wrong with the work, your photos are worse then the tiling. Could you maybe put up some better pics.

All I can see is grout residue on some tiles, but that can easily be removed . If it proves difficult to remove there is a chemical available from most tile shops to clean it off.

Read the posts I put up. I'm not really asking people about why didn't I this and why didn't I that. I'm asking for opinions and the photos are grand if you put on your glasses you'd see the floor is off.

Advertisement