Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just buy a Clever Dripper

• 08-01-2023 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I have been fortunate enough to have had use of many of the home coffee gadgets over the years, Aeropress, V60, Espresso machine, Burr grinders.

The world of coffee can be intimidating to newcomers so I just wanted to shout from the rooftops that a Clever Dripper is the best 30 euro you can spend!

It can make two cups of delicious coffee at a time with minimal effort, it is very forgiving so incredibly CONSISTENT.

Weigh your water and your coffee at the start and you are golden.

If you are looking to improve your home coffee, stop stressing and just buy yourself a clever dripper, a box of size 4 filtropa filters, good quality coffee beans (ground appropriately) and use the James Hoffman technique (water first as in this video: https://youtu.be/RpOdennxP24)

Enjoy ☕

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks- actually took delivery of a V60 2 plus filters so I'm looking forward to my coffee journey regardless of device.

For the moment I'll be buying pre-ground coffee- what recommendations do you have and at what grind level should I be asking for?

Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Two cups? More like one if you're me!

What grinder are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Nice! The V60 is great too - it only requires a tiny bit more technique than a Clever Dripper but it's still quite simple.

I love Imbibe coffee roasters in Dublin. If you order two bags of coffee from the website, delivery is free and you're getting extremely freshly roasted coffee. Colombia El Puente is my favourite from them.

As for Grind Size - you can request the coffee ground specifically for V60 on their website. If you buy coffee from any reputable cafe/coffeeshop, they will grind if for you if you ask - just tell them it's for a V60 when you give it to them. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Now I have a second-hand La Pavoni Jolly burr grinder. I started out with a Hario burr hand-grinder (Skerton I think) which was perfect for myself but made me pretty resentful whenever guests would arrive and everyone wanted coffee. My arm would be falling off.

Thanks a million for the reply and advice. I'll take a look at those guys online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Yeah I think the Clever is amazing. I also do the Hoffman Method, using a Baratza Encore grinder and Melitta Gourmet Intense filters (size 4)

I usually do 21g/325g for an output of about 280g - water just off the boil.

When I get new beans I also make at least one coffee using the Aeropress/Prismo, I find I get a different cup then decide which I prefer. Usually the Clever for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

What kind of grind would people typically recommend for the Clever? I have Melitta Calibra grinder that ranges from 1 "Fine" to 37 "Coarse". There's a filter coffee setting at around 20 but Hoffman suggests goiga little finer. Struggling to get it just right.

It's hard to describe grind level in a written forum tbh - I use a Baratza Encore and grind somewhere around level 13-17 or something like that. The Encore goes up to 40 clicks I think. If you watch Hoffman's video I think he recommends you should grind so the drawdown takes approx 60 seconds - all you need to do is experiment with a few different grind sizes until you get to that sort of drawdown timeframe, a few seconds either side won't matter much

For reference, when I'm attempting an espresso-like coffee from my Aeropress + Prismo I grind at level 1, and I go up to about 20 for French Press

A week ago I wouldn’t have understood a word you said there- just shows what I’ve learned in a few days 😀

I’m only starting out with my V60- I’m going to order a pre-ground coffee from a reputable online supplier stating V60 from their drop-down for grind size- then I’m going to try and replicate that grind size with my own simple manual grinder - Ive seen a number of descriptions online from fine to fine/coarse from granulated to caster sugar- don’t know who to believe so I guess it’s what works for you in terms of taste and of course the coffee itself

• Advertisement

yeah of course it will take some trial end error - and remember, not all beans will grind the same either, so each new bag will probably need tweaking.

Advertisement