If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning for one off house

  • 07-01-2023 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8


    Just at the the start of the process of looking for planning permission, nothing done yet, so some v. basic queries😉

    Is there a different type of architect you would engage for a timber framed house compared to traditional

    concrete built?

    I havn't decided on either yet,

    Is it better to get an architect that deals with your local Co. council, as opposed to one who is not from the area?



  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bfclancy2

    1. no you don't need specific architect for construction type
    2. local will have more knowledge on the preferences of planners but you could suss that out via a pre planning meeting too

  • Registered Users Posts: 45,811 ✭✭✭✭muffler

    As above, any architect worth their salt, will be familiar with both build types and yes you should engage one who is familiar with the planning process in that county.

    As to the actual build type I would suggest traditional block build but I'm old school.

  • Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

    Take a look at the county development plan to check the restrictions on one off housing.

  • Registered Users Posts: 8 frank017

    Thanks for your replys

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭MacDanger

    FYI, there are other types of construction methods to consider: instead of traditional block wall with cavity insulation, there's block on the flat with external insulation; there's ICF; there's stuff like this Hi Therm Homes - Construction, Housing

    Any decent architect/engineer should be able to give you a few options.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Penn

    Yeah timber-frame is more suited to the likes of housing estates and multi-unit developments, due to speed of construction, economy of scale, a few different house types etc. For a one-off house, there aren't that many benefits over masonry construction, and in fact it can be fairly limiting (eg if in the future you want to extend or make layout changes).

    But it matters little for planning, and any architect/surveyor/engineer will be able to advise better depending on the size and style of house you want. Most architects etc should be fine with doing an application in any council in Ireland, but it's usually better to have one with knowledge & experience of their local or neighbouring councils, just in case there are specific things in the development plan which could be relevant, or having prior experience/relationships with the planners and what they typically look for.

  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

    PM Sent