Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you accept more than 1 secondary school offer of place?

Options
  • 07-01-2023 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi, our daughter is in 6th class and has received offers from 2 secondary schools for next year. The deadline for accepting the offers is very soon, but due to a possible change in our work situation we don't yet know if will be in a position to get her to and from her preferred school come September - it'll be another month or so before we know for sure. We are not very familiar with the system here for accepting school places, and I'm wondering whether it should be ok to accept the places in both schools for now until we know for certain about getting her there. Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The child is registered as a student on the system. It won't let you be registered twice.

Another child might have been refused a place and dependent on people who were offered not accepting so they can go to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭losetheforce

did you accpet the 2 places? The schools can share information but the question is do they? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Schools seem to have their own admission policies. Sometimes they co-ordinate between each others.

Two of our local schools did this so that a application of one, moved you down the list on the other. So we had to apply to only one to (give up a place in the other effect) to get a better chance in the school you want. The downside that is we didn't get a place we would have to get a place far from our area. They did this for a few years then dropped the policy and sharing admission lists.

So check with all the schools, all their admissions policies are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I doubt they'd be able to do this anymore Sharing lists would be a breach of GDPR, unless you signed off on letting them do it. And they'd have to set out in their admissions policy that children who have only applied to one school would get priority of a child who has applied to multiple schools. I don't think that would be seen as a fair criteria if anyone challenged it.

I'm putting my daughters name down for six schools (when applications open in October) and if any of the schools ask whether I have applied to another school I'll be ringing the office to understand the purpose of the question.

Advertisement