Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing waiting list

Options
  • 06-01-2023 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've been on the housing list for 10 years and at the time of joining the list I was eligible based on the income thresholds.

However, I work in the civil service and my current role will increase above the threshold on my next increment. I'm a single mama who still only lives with my son as my boyfriend lives in a different county. He is not the father of the child. I get zero maintenance for my 10 year old son.

Will I still be eligible when my turn comes round? Is it done on a case by case basis?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Are you getting HAP or any of the other supports?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 soundish

Yes I receive HAP. While I know I am still eligible for that when my income goes higher, I just dont think ill be ok if my turn comes up in the queue. Ill look at affordable home options if I am above the level for the council list but I was just hopeful that the delay might be taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The income limits were raised in the past few weeks. Might be worth re-checking but if you're above the income threshold I can't see how you'd still be eligible (for either HAP or the social housing)

Im basing my query on the new levels that were introduced for the housing list and I get reviewed on a yearly basis for HAP so that my contributions are fair and increase accordingly based onwhat I can afford to pay.

I was hoping to find someone who is familiar with the processes from a first hand basis.

A quote from citizens advice wwebsitestates:

When you have qualified for social housing support and are getting HAP, you will continue to get the payment, even if you no longer meet all the qualifying criteria of the social housing assessment. For example, if your income rises above the income threshold for social housing, you will remain eligible for HAP. However, you must inform the local authority if your income changes, so they can recalculate the differential rent you pay, see Rent contribution below

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

You will still be eligible for hap. When your time comes to be allocated a property your income will be assessed and if you are over the amount you will no longer be eligible for social housing. Can you maybe take a shorter working week / unpaid leave or use parental leave to keep yourself under the threshold in the meantime?

• Advertisement

That is kind of what I thought. It is frustrating but I will just have to suck it up I think.

Ill have a chat with my AP and see what she thinks. It seems my council has an average wait time of 12 years so after 2 more increases, I will be well above the level.

Looks like affordable housing may be an option in the future. Ill save my increment increases and see how I go.

I may have to just try for promotion and accept that the 'have some' people in this country are left out to dry and save save save.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭doc22

My thought is it depends on council, If on hap you might be on a slower moving transfer list rather then the general housing list as you have your needs meet under Hap, and if continously reciving support you would remain eligible on said transfer list.

But I wouldn't call recieving a substantial rent subsidy(HAP) and having earnings of I'm guessing on 50k plus a year as being left out to dry. While someone else on your currently salary would recieve ZERO rental support.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

It is case by case. You can make your case at interview stage.

Post edited by Skweefie on

Fair point on the left out to dry. That was frustration talking rather than logic. The transfer list is also something to think about. It is a slower list. Thanks for your input and I didnt mean to sound ungrateful. I couldn't have gotten here on rent supplements scheme. Im very very grateful for the HAP scheme

Advertisement