Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draught Guinness in cans.

• 05-01-2023 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭

Am I weird, or does anyone else wash and dry the glass after each can?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Packrat

Either dry as well or don't rinse at all.

For me, cans must be upright in the fridge for at least 24 hours as well.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,581 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you are having more than one there is no need to wash and dry the glass after each one.

You can do it if you like but you need to wash it under warm water and leave to drain before polishing.

You need a good quality glass cloth that hasn't been used for any other purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,487 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So much bolloxology about Guinness, how the head looks etc. which of course doesn't affect the taste at all.

I did a blind taste test once, was surprisingly hard to tell the difference between Smithwicks and Guinness, and Guinness was my main drink at the time!

Diageo have now cottoned on to the bolloxology and are charging a premium for 'nitrosurge' cans even though they're cheaper to make than widget cans. Plus they get to ride you for the price of the gadget, too.

Scrap the cap!

Guinness from a can is very flat these days. I’ve moved over to Beamish. It keeps the head much better and tastes a small bit “stoutier”. Costs a few quid extra for 8 cans though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I’m not talking about nitrosurge, just the draught in the can. If you think how a pint looks doesn’t influence your enjoyment of it, then Smithwicks is probably right for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yep, I rinse it out for another guinness but not for a beer.

Yea, nothing worse than a dirty brown head on Guinness. Mind you after 6 or 8 I wouldn’t be bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There's so much twattery and guff attached to Guinness. Explaining to a lifelong drinker that the two-part pour thing is a marketing wheeze and it will taste the same in one pour is like telling a child Santa isn't real.

It's not a vintage rare Bordeaux, it's mass-produced brown alcohol water pushed through some manky pipes with nitrogen. And there's nothing worse than when you're at a gig and someone swamping Guinness out of a plastic cup lets rip.

Some people will of course take grave offence to the above, but it shows the power of the Diageo marketing machine that a pretty lame product has become so intertwined with the national identity. Kudos to them I suppose, the lads in the big glass tower in London deserve a pay rise. If Americans took such umbrage at being told Budweiser is p*sswater, we'd write them off as a nation in rapture to a cult.

This is not about draught Guinness in the pub. It’s about cans.

I don’t prefer it from a clean dry glass because that’s what you get in a pub. Nor do I do a 2 pour like the pub. But I do like to let it settle.

Anyway, the two-pour was the way it was done long before Diageo or TV marketing, not the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I usually rinse. Never dry.

I prefer nitrosurge. I thought it was a gimmick at first but after trying it again I do find them slightly better. Plus, and my main reason for using them, I love that they fill the glass. I hate the way the 500ml cans leave a gap in a pint glass. I wish Guinness had stuck with the pint cans they were doing last Xmas. I've looked for 500ml tulip glasses to no avail.

I do wish they'd get rid of the two part pour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I drink Guinness myself a lot of the time but would have a preference for a good craft IPA if I could get one instead when I'm out.

The way some drinkers talk about 'beer snobs' who drink craft beer is ironic considering all the shite that the same people spout on about Guinness; the two part pour, domage, bubbles in the head, sticking to the glass, splitting the harp, how clean the lines are, good Guinness pubs, etc.

I don't think any other drink has so much nonsense around it.

Murphy's and O'Hara's Nitro are better stouts anyway especially if you're drinking at home.

I got Guinness 500ml glasses in Tesco a few weeks ago

Angry late night rant. Must have had a obnoxiously strong pale ale or two too many.

Thought that post might send Dr Pintman McAbominable Flashman's eye twitching in in anger.

Drinking Guinness isn't a substitute for a personality, and if you're "destroying your hoop after a feed of the good stuff", you should probably consult a doctor instead of logging onto an internet forum to update strangers on your malfunctioning bowel movements.

P.S, I know you took the post about Guinness personally, which rather proves my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Very bound up individual, this poster would opine.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Ah here, good Guinness pubs is definately a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I may be some form of philistine but I was under the impression the word "draught" meant it was freshly pulled from a larger vessel, usually in a pub-like location.

Have I been wrong all this time???

I see I have awoken the chimera.

What doth displayeth constipation and inner turmoil more than running multiple accounts? My Guinness swilling liege. Not that I accuseth you of such a thing. Heavens no.

You’d need an oversized glass for a straight pour to get a pint. That was tried years ago and didn’t last long, surprise, surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I've watched lots of barmen do a straight pour and there's no difference in the look or the amount of beer in the glass. And there's certainly no difference in the taste. It's a nonsense and a waste of his time and mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Usually just good pubs in general that rely on repeat customers and not places that rely on visitors or people plastered to the eye balls who would drink any old slop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,581 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It is indeed something to relax and enjoy.

A well poured pint and a glass of Jameson sitting side by side on a polished mahogany counter.

Savour it, as close to perfect as life gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No but called draught as it replicates the draught sold in pubs. as opposed to the older cans and bottles that didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya me thinking the same know of a lad down here who has spent thousands of euro on equipment and is obsessed with glasses being washed properly and all the bull that goes with it and looking for the perfect pint, but got a bit huffed when I told him you will never have the perfect pint in a shed. Like you said the perfect pint is in a nice public house on a nice counter in front of a nice fire with good company, heaven on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Advertisement