Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Splish Splash

How is he sticking to his priciples? He disrupted a church service by shouting at his principal and later that evening harangued her by following her and shouting at her to the extent that other members of staff had to step in to keep him away from her.

He was placed on paid administrative leave due to his misconduct pending an investigation as part of the disciplinary process.

The school got an court order against him because he refused to acknowledge his suspension and he kept turning up to teach.

He was arrested because he failed to obey the court order.

He was jailed because he told the judge he would continue to show up to school to teach and didn't agree with the suspension.

The school have taken no action as yet because of his issue with pronouns. Will that issue even be mentioned on Jan 19th?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

From the Teaching Council annual report.

In 20/21 they received 24 complaints (is the insignificant number of complaints due to the fantastic nature of our teachers or a lack of faith in the Teaching Council?)

Of the 24 complaints, 5 were ruled out of order due to being before 2016. Of the remaining 19, only one was referred to the Disciplinary Committee for inquiry.

Now that doesn't include those complaints held over from previous years and not dealt with. At the start of the reporting year, six inquiries were at planning stage, having been referred and carried forward from previous reporting periods. Preparations to hold inquiries were underway in these six matters. A further seven complaints were referred to the Disciplinary Committee for inquiry in the 2020/2021 reporting year. So in addition to the one of the 19, they managed to refer a further six from previous years.

Four preliminary hearings, relating to three separate complaints and a two-day private inquiry, were held. So out of 13 before them, they managed to deal partially with four, so the backlog increased.

Two applications for confirmation of sanction were made to the High Court. These related to inquiries concluded in the previous reporting period.

Do you think that they would reach Burke this decade, if a complaint was made now? 54 staff in the Teaching Council. A complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

to people undergoing the surgery, it can be life-saving.

Take your point about arguing with evangelicals though, may as well be pissing into a hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Even though I am not well versed in the law you seem to be a bit all over the place with the law there.

People don't get charged with contemp of court, they become in contempt of court when they refuse to do something the court orders them to do.

In this case Burke refused to not go to the school while suspended.

Also you don't get "bail" from contempt of court.

And what are you going to charge him with during this "fair trial" you are going to give him ?

He was suspended from school but refused to observe the suspension, the school got a court order to make him observe the suspension, but he ignored that, he thus was in contempt of court and went to jail for it.

What crime did he commit that he needs a fair trial for, what would he be convicted of ?

He'll probably end up back in jail soon because he has again refused to observe the suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭growleaves

'There is zero point trying to have a rational conversation with an evangelical, zero.'

I'm just trying to help posters understand how evangelicals arrive at different conclusions from the average Irish person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The more you post, yes, the more concerned I would be about you. I’m not sure if it’s the deranged emotional language, you seem to have, the fact that you seem afraid of this man, the unfounded fear that he poses some danger to children, or that you seem so angry that you mean him physical ejection/harm/thumping.

Like him or loathe him, by all accounts he is a good teacher and nothing reported so far suggests he is a danger to kids. What we do know is that he refused to address a student by their preferred term, and that he shouted at a teacher. Could you reference the report of behaviour dangerous to children.

It would be interesting to know what, if any, support he is getting from parents in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

In fairness, humans are just less hairy apes so what is seen in the animal kingdom does apply to us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I get you are a fan, now I'm about worried you.

We will leave it there.

Hopefully Tusla and Guards are called soon, not fair on the children or their parents that this dangerous weirdo has closed a section of school.

I imagine at this stage he will be charged with criminal contempt which is punitive.

I don’t have to be a fan to recognise that though his behaviour may questionable, it is not dangerous. And that your invective is way over the top for a situation like this, which makes me wonder why.

As the Gardai stated last night, this is a civil matter, not criminal so unless instructed by a Judge, they have no part to play, yet.

Why would you think Tusla have a part to play? This is a civil dispute between a teacher and a school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

No I get that but I'm talking from the viewpoint of an evangelical. Pissing into a hurricane indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...so disrespecting a childs wants and needs is the sign of a 'good teacher'?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Sat in a corridor and was supervised by the Principal - I'm not joking. The school stated that a section of corridor was out of bounds to students and was being supervised by the Principal. Like a kid on time out. :))

Don't know if everyone is aware that he's written a couple of books so this whole thing is probably to raise his profile as an author and get some American television stations interested in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I can't imagine this whole situation is easy on the child at the centre of it. Any teacher worth their salt would have protected the student by not making a song and dance eabout it. In most schools there is aa calm, measured and careful approach to issues like this, with the wellbeing of the child very much at the centre. He chose to make a song an dance about something and then refused to abide by court orders. I feel for the kids and staff of the school who I'd imagine are just trying to get on with things and protect the students. I have zero respect for anyone who treats the pastoral part of their job with such contempt, it's wildly unchristian

I would imagine this situation has of course hurt the child at the centre, emotional trauma of this sort can really stick and having it incorrectly made a national spectical is especially cruel. How someone choose to identify is hardly of real concern to anyone else. I'd hope we all have larger issues on our minds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is disgraceful stuff and you should be ashamed of writing that. There is nothing on the public record to back up your nonsense. If anything, he has been acknowledged as a good & competent teacher.

As has been said, you may not agree with him - but you have to admire him for standing up for his beliefs. Some posters here seem to be afraid of such a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

No we'll have endless high court challenges from them. At this rare he's making a fool out of the courts.

If it's serving a sentence in jail he's out of the way and he can be fired by the school because he is not available to work. Same a if you or I was sent to prison - we'd probably lose our jobs.

Tusla should be there because it is very much a child safety, unless you know him personally or can tell the future, you have absolutely no idea what he is capable of. We know his behaviour is erratic and we know from court appearances he has a violent temper.

When it comes to children and schools especially child safety is over engineered for a reason, again I can't fathom how this absolutely degenerate has been tolerated to this point.

Your defence of his behaviour does raise several questions about your own motivations. I think I can very much guess what they are, and the only suitable response would be YAWN.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...again, is his behavior the sign of a 'good and competent' teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That was the initial position and absolutely correct.

By his own actions, he has now been found in contempt of court which is a crime (no loger just an allegation to be investigated) so I don't think he should be currently drawing a salary in that case.

Suspension with full during an investiagation is absolutely right and proper, but he was serving an indetermionate prison sentence. If he is still been paid that is surely not proper or just.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Surely contempt of court is a criminal offence? Does he have a conviction or will he get one?

Whatever about his issues with the child the contempt of court is an unacceptable act. He should be punished by the dept. and the courts appropriately. Back to mountjoy and leave him there.

lol. I couldn't give fúck about his beliefs.

He is currently trespassing in a place where there is children. He is erratic and he has shown on several occasions he has a violent temper. Also "Good" teacher me hole.

I can't believe I have to keep pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The gardai are a disgrace

If a school calls them and tells them that there is an intruder trespassing in their school while it is in session and full of teenagers, those gardai should immediately go there and physically remove that person

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Most schools aren't unfortunate enough to have one of the Burkes in their faculty

Any distress caused to that child is entirely the fault of Eunoch Burke

No, by all accounts he is a good teacher. Is he “competent”? I have yet to see any complaint about his competency to teach his subjects to students, are you aware of any complaints prior to him refusing to refer to a child as “they”?

His religious beliefs, which most of us do not support or even recognise, means he will not refer to the child as “they”. Whether the child “needs” to be called “they” is debatable.

Like most, I believe his behaviour is wrong and self serving, but is it dangerous? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

As I've repeatedly pointed out we have 'good and competent' teachers up and down the country who shove religious dogma into the minds of second class national school children. In the past they used to beat it in. And very few raise an eyebrow. If you don't see a problem with that, then why a hullaballoo over this teacher and his choice of words?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You're incorrect. The guy has been ordered by the courts of the land to stay away from the place. It's not admirable in any way to defy that order. Whatever his beliefs are they are superseded by the law of the land. There is plenty on the public record to backup the view that he isn't teacher material.

1. Defying a court order
    2. 3 Months in Prison
    3. His views a LQBTQ+
    4. His disrespect toward a child

Absolutely, it's an absolute disgrace that this is being tolerated. Private security firms are lawfully entitled to fúck him off the premises.

The school has been abandoned. Where the fúck is Norma Foley?

by all accounts he is a good teacher

List them please, in your own time.

• Advertisement

It's not a criminal offence plus the contempt has been lifted once he was released.

It's very possible that the school will not ask for the current injunction to be enforced to allow him to be free to attend the disciplinary hearing. He may choose not to attend but it will be possible to hold it regardless. That is of course, contingent on the decision due on the 11th.

If the court allows the hearing to go ahead then they likely won't ask for the existing injunction to be enforced however if the court block the hearing they likely will ask for enforcement.

If the hearing goes ahead as planned and he ends up being removed from his post then it becomes a case of trespass if he continues to attend I think as he would be a regular joe at that point.

Advertisement