Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I also find it hilarious that they’re lecturing others for not condemning murders etc as much as this guy and he was only a few months ago defending a guy who tried to have sex with a woman who was sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If a parent sent their child to be schooled by him, that would be neglect.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,309 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Gorteen

After all the posts last time you asked, informing you of all the hate campaigns Burke and his family have actively run against the LGBTQ+ community going back over a decade - and you still "dunno"?

You're not fooling anyone with this act of yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

So you put politicians and drug dealers in the same sentence. So elected officials are entitled to the same respect as criminals but Enoch Burke a man who basically doesn't think the law of land applies to him should not be critiqued.

Enoch Burke and his family are thugs and bullies, well educated thugs and bullies but thugs and bullies none the less. The only reason he got sacked was because he acted like a bully. As far as they are concerned the law doesn't apply to them. That's the action of a criminal ie people who think the law of the land doesn't apply to them. If Enoch Burke keeps going the way he's going he will face formal criminal charges.

It says a lot about you that that you think Enoch Burke has done nothing wrong but you include politicians and drug dealers as being entitled to the same level of respect online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The whole non-binary, they/them pronouns, etc. would come under the transgender umbrella

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I may be missing your point, but what exactly stops a teacher from being a hateful bastard? Are you saying that teachers are automatically angels because they are teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Of course he's against everything LGBT. He has been on anti LGBT crusades for nearly 15 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

To be fair Enoch Burke has been on an anti lgbt hate crusade for well over 10 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

🤣🤣

• I’m tired of this Enoch!

well that’s too damn bad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Could some judge along the way order the media to stop gathering within 100m of the school?

Apart from being unfair on the students it just gives him fuel.

Although I enjoyed watching his pathetic stand today on the news just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He's not a bully towards women. He's a religious fundamentalist. He behaves that way towards everyone.

At no stage in that vid did anyone look like they were in any physical danger. The guards didn't look like they were that worried about anything kicking off. The behaviour of the Burke's is outside of social norms (to put it mildly). They are slaves/captives to their religiosity - in my opinion. However, I don't think there is any need to paint them as something they are not.

They will have their spotlight for a bit longer. And will take some more legal cases, which they may possibly win. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some flaws occurred with disciplinary process - which is perfectly understandable given how difficult the Burke's are to deal with. Teachers union have expressed concern with how the disciplinary process transpired; they are in no way endorsing Burke, it should be stressed.

Burke's don't appear to have much support (I disagree with their philosophy & methodology) but the courts are relatively untested in this area. And one thing they are not shy of is a trip to the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭757TFFIU

Just saw this nutcase on the 9 o'clock RTE news. It's evident when the principal was out at the gates talking to him telling him not to come in, he's not facing the principal. He's facing the reporter's ranting about being "unlawfully arrested". When the Dad picks him up as well they slow down giving the photographers time to photograph him in the car. He's out looking for attention.

He needs to realise that rather than wasting more of his time, the school's and the Gardai's in the morning, it would be a lot more productive to find his local social welfare office and start the process of signing on so he has some sort of an income. His behaviour over the last few months has rendered him entirely unemployable and, frankly, he's going to be on jobseeker's until he reaches pension age. No employer in their right mind would ever employ him again.

Regrettably, however, for the school, it's students, the parents and the staff, I'd be highly surprised if he's not there again in the morning looking for more media attention.

Nope. It's not a conclusion, that's the point. It's a possibility though.

Why wouldn't someone's father be there to support their son at a difficult time? The father is of the same opinion as the son. It would be odd if there was no family member there to support him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Unions, teachers and employees in general shouldn't worry to much about the Burke case regarding employment disputes. Burkes actions are extremely unusual to say the least. It's an extreme edge case. It's why it's received the attention it has. No competent union/lawyer would advise anyone to do what he's done. Had he actually followed normal protocols from the start his case might have turned out differently. He's been his own worst enemy.

The only real precedent it sets is that if you ignore court orders/don't go through the correct procedures/abuse your boss etc it makes fighting any dismissal case very very hard if not impossible. But that's nothing new. Helping people work through the correct channels is one of the reasons unions exist in the first place. None of the teachers unions would have advised any of their members to take the actions Enoch Burke took.

"Just can't get Enoch" should be the next musical thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

At courts all over the country it's normal to see family members attending in support of defendants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Newspaper reports attributed views to unidentified sources in unions, which is usually their way of making sh1t up. Unions have made no comment on this issue, as Burke is not a union member.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

He should open up his own school that don't teach about you know whats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought the reports of the union officials position were quite illuminating and certainly offered no support to EB.

In all fairness would you expect any of them to go on the record regarding this case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

mad - someone should make a Netflix series about the family - in time to come.. twud be interesting (when the dust has settled and everyone is over the drama of all this)..

hope the kids of the school will move on, unscathed

One of the best ways I've seen it expained is in the article I linked to earlier:

Is being nonbinary the same as being transgender?

Not exactly.

Being transgender is when you don’t identify with the gender you were assigned at birth.

If you were born with a penis, for example, you were likely assigned male at birth and socialized as a man. If in time you find that your gender can’t be described as exclusively man, you might identify with the term “transgender.”

Not all transgender people are nonbinary. Someone assigned male at birth, for example, can experience their gender as woman while someone assigned female at birth can experience their gender as man.

If a person exclusively experiences their gender as man or woman — not as both, another gender, or nothing at all — they might identify with the term transgender, but not nonbinary.

A nonbinary person might not exclusively identify with the gender assigned to them at birth, but rather with one or more genders.

As such, some people argue that all nonbinary people are inherently transgender. Given the definition of transgender as explained above, this argument makes sense.

However, some nonbinary people don’t identify with the transgender experience. This may be for a number of personal reasons. For example, some nonbinary people don’t feel comfortable identifying as being trans if they’ve faced animosity from binary transgender people.

So, in summary:

CIS-gender - someone whose gender corresponds with their sex assigned at birth

TRANS-gender - somone whose gender does not correspond with their sex assigned at birth.

Binary - someone who identifies with one gender exclusively.

NON-Binary - someone who does not identify with one gender exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I dont care how educated they are, the Burke's are all ******g idiots and Dolores Cahill is a toxic Cu*t

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It would appear at this stage that Mr Burkes campaign has done wonders for the acceptance of gender neutrality throughout the country.

Prior to this whole episode, a huge majority would have referred to neutral pronouns as a load of horse manure.

Now, thanks to Mr Burke the mindset is to let the young students call themselves whatever they like.

He is surely a double agent😄

You know if that's true, at least some good will have come of all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Advertisement