Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Delays - Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I’m not stressing and that’s not what I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tantalum73

Cert expiry is set by the registration date of the car ( the covid exemption of +4 months may alter it .

So ... more than likely if the car is out of test 6 months you will only get 6 months on the cert.

Until the Government changes laws surrounding cert expiry dates , this wont change.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭M3CS

I tested a car that had an expired NCT last year and was expecting the new certificate to be backdated (8 months instead of 12). The new NCT certificate was valid for a full year from the date of the test. I can't understand why they could do it then but apparently can't do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

Some vehicles got the NCT extended by 4 months during covid. Isn't it one of those?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

2 weeks is very optimistic. Last time I rang, it was about 3 months before I actually got the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I just rang and told them I needed a test as mine was out at the end of January..... said I needed it for insurance purposes (the online system gave me an appointment at the end of May) Got tested on 13 February, passed with flying colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

NCT on my car expired end of October 2022. In fairness, wasnt following news and been traveling a lot outside the country for business so was unaware.

Tried to book a new test end of October only to see closest available date end of March 2023. Applied for emergency, waited over 4 weeks, nothing, no email no sms, no date, nothing. Rang them in November to apply again, got an sms that I am on priority list and should receive a date within 4 weeks. Nothing. Time went no date. Went online and booked NCT which now was offering me date for end of May. Booked it.

Rang them on 13th feb to apply for emergency agai since my insurance renewal is in april (before NCT). They swiftly canceled my booking, refunded 55e, again I got sms that I am on priority list. Today is 09th March, still no date.

My wife rang them on Friday two weeks ago for her test, got a date by sms 3 days later. Rang the NCT, asked them what the hail, was told that nothing she can do, I should receive a date any other day. That was over a week ago. Still no date.

Something tells me, I will not get a date even when these 4 weeks expire, which is next Monday. So this is 3 emergency date requests plus an actual booking they canceled. If I am stopped I have absolutely nothing to show to cops, appart from that useless sms.

So the questiion is, what can I do, what should I do? Sue them? Should them be sued or Ministry of Transportation, or both? Any ideas, recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I've been ringing for a test every day for the past 2 weeks with zero joy. Only caveat is I can't do weekdays from 9-3. It's a joke, I've been on the priority list for over a month and my NCT has expired. They won't provide a free test either as I have restrictions on when I can attend....

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

My test is due April 1st. Last week I registered on the priority list on website. Got email today booking for Monday 3rd April morning. Will get the aul lad to bring it down. I put I was available anytime so maybe this helps. Arklow test center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Just been through this, i got a text a month ago, test due, nothing online until october, rang up, they put me on the priority list, got a text yesterday (about 2 weeks in) giving me a date 4 days after my nct expired, i was going away that week so no good.

Rang up yesterday, was told just keep calling for cancellations. I called twice yesterday, both people told me that they have access to cancellations and to keep calling, no point looking online. Second time i called i waited until there was a new vacancy online (it was for cahir, which is miles away at the end of april) The person did tell me about that one so i think the vacancies do appear online as well. I was looking all over the country all day yesterday just to see and not many appeared and went quick.

Anyways, someone on here said previously that 11-midnight slots are released, i tried and bang on 11:30 loads of free slots. I got one for 31/03, there were quite a few all over cork, didnt spend long looking as i wanted to get it booked, so anyone looking log in to the website at 11:25 and sit hitting refresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

I did that online last thursday night week date for the saturday available in blarney so went and passed,best thing for anyone waiting to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You shouldn't have to do it though, and if everyone waiting for a test tried to, they all couldn't.

One of the main problems is the broken booking system. Who in their right mind implements a booking system where the public could only book 1/3 of the available places in advance, until almost the last minute and then be offered a take it or leave it option on a random date, time and location.

Could you imagine airlines, hotels or holiday companies operating a similar system? They would be out of business in no time.

Could you imagine if any factory operated on a similar basis? Ahhhh sorry we can't take your order now but sure leave it with us and we'll get back to you in a few weeks and we can see if you want what we happen to have in our warehouse then.

Aplus know what staff, equipment, testing capacity they have, the number of tests and retests.

Most of that capacity should be available to their customers to book well in advance. That way customers could book a test at a time that is convenient , ensure their car is ready, allow time repair and retest and time off work if needed.

Their booking system needs a total overhaul. As it stands, the service they provide is not fit for purpose.

The government should look at doing away with the monopoly Aplus have (or any potential replacement).

If there was competition between NCT providers where one provided a very poor service and woefully inadequate booking system and another provided an easy to access, streamlined, efficient, customer focused service, I know which I'd be inclined to use. For many the convenience might be worth paying a little extra for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,223 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So apparently people were able to claim the free test

It comes as 2,736 free tests were issued for NCTs... With a test costing €55 its estimated these free tests amounted to €150,000.

More info here

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0402/1367782-nct-driving-tests/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I heard a statistic over the weekend that only 0.07% or 0.7% of fatal accidents in ireland are caused by cars that didnt/wouldnt pass an NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Tbf that's largely down to the fact that most cars on the road either have a test or have had one up until recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭6541

Only Test I can get is August - Suits me. Printed off booking. If Mr Garda stops me I will hand him the booking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I was just on their website. No dates available at all in Deansgrange. Is this NCT thing getting worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try again about 23.30 and be prepared to take a booking the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'll revive this thread as I can't see any point starting a new one for exactly the same questions.

Test due in about 6 weeks in June nearest booking available anywhere near me 28th November.

Do they still release cancellation dates around 10:30 in the evening. Was thinking of trying that for a few nights before phoning.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Around 11.30 works for me.

Obviously it depends on the centre you want to book in.

• Advertisement

Almost spot on kept checking my preferred test centre and at 11.36pm 2 slots appeared for Saturday 13th May (previously next available was 28th November). One disappeared as I clicked on it but managed to book the other. So first attempt got a test in 3 days time. Hope the test itself goes as well :-)

F............. better take a look at the car in case there is anything that needs doing!

It's like some sort of unfunny video game sitting there hoping your number comes up 🙂

Shouldn't be this way but it has to be done.

I was almost in a state of shock thinking when is the 13th of May then the penny dropped shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit its Saturday 3 days time (or 2 actual work on car days). Oh well chances are I won't get too much time to look at the car so might be getting a to do list very soon ;-)

Oh and thanks again for letting us know to check after 11.30 ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why do you not get an appointment three months prior to your current NCT expiring. It would be take it or rebook - confirm within xx days. They must have capacity to do this, or they do not have sufficient capacity to do NCTs.

Of course, if you accept the offered test date it could be cheaper to encourage acceptance.

Not a bad idea and we definitely need ideas because it's a mess currently.

Would it be pay up front by card and no refund if you take the reduced rate ?

Works for travel industry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Even better.

Currently they have to give you a free test if they cannot give it to you under certain conditions. That would be the opposite idea.

So, say my NCT renewal date is 12th Sept 2023, I get an appointment for, say, 3rd of Sept @ 10:25 for €45. I pay to confirm but no refund, or ask for another day or time or centre. They reply within 7 days and I still get the cheaper rate.

Would work.

At this stage almost anything is worth a try.

It should be so simple but it's become a nightmare for so many.

Another idea that might work is to maybe give 10 year olds a two year test or extend the no test to 6 year olds to help clear the backlog.

I would think it better to have newer cars tested by qualified main dealers in year two, four, and maybe six.

Another possible solution would be for a second contractor to offer a no appointment test station. Let us say near Dublin Airport with ten or more lanes or even more. Turn up, pay fee, join queue, and get tested. Centres could be setup in other centres - Cork, Galway, Athlone, etc. if the first one was successful.

One thing that is certain, the current crowd are not delivering the service they are contracted to supply.

One thing that is certain, the current crowd are not delivering the service they are contracted to supply.

I'm not sure how they can do the testing any faster unless they open up more centres?

I tested today in a small single lane test centre and in the 40 minutes I was there they got through 4 full tests and had started the 5th when I got my cert. Thats one car every 10 minutes per lane. Can't see how they could improve on that?

Doing away with the current monopoly would be a good start. A bit of competition would increase availability and allow customers to vote with their feet.

• Advertisement

But who is going to pay for the building of new test centres?

Didn't Applus build the current ones? I'd expect new contracts to be for a five year period, just award at least two contracts so there is competition. Applus might or might not be one of the two.

Whoever wins the contracts can build test centres just like Applus did when the NCT was introduced. If Applus is not one of the winning companies, the winners could also offer to buy some of Applus' current test centres if Applus decided to dispose of them.

Well, if two companies are operating for NCTs, would they be on equal terms, or could they be on different terms.

I suggested a second contractor offering a just-turn-up service so just like a supermarket - you take your chance, but visibility with 'busy times' and probable waiting times would offer those looking for a test a much greater choice. The cost of the test could be different for each contractor.

Now I would see the second service only having a few test centres so they can operate their service efficiently as to staffing, and available lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I just went in to see when the next available date was for my NCT (due end of June) and they aren't even showing any dates now for Cork Little Island? Blarney closest dates are in December....wtf!

Try again tonight. Start at dead on 11.30pm and keep refreshing or changing between your preferred test centres for about 10 minutes. Be prepared to take a test tomorrow. If nothing turns up then try again tomorrow night. Never had to do that for more than two nights to get a test within the week but not always at the nearest test centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

One of my work colleagues was pulled the other day for nct being 8 weeks out couldn't get a booking initially,car was siezed for days left in a Garda station for several days until he managed to get a tow truck,but the guards refused to let it go until it towed to a private companies place on the same day,

Didn't make sense he now has a booking for September

Are you saying at the time he was pulled he hadn't bothered booking because he couldn't get a date in a reasonable time frame or that he had a date for a test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cheers, will do that. Either that or go on priority list I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭French Toast

I've a weekend car that has been off the road for the past year or so. The test is out since late 2021. It's roadworthy and presentable and all the rest.

If I book an NCT for November, the earliest my local centre is offering online atm, and drive around with the booking receipt am I probably going to get ridden if the Gardaí ask questions? I've a fair idea of the answer but said I'd get opinions anyways. Cheers.

• Advertisement

You would be taking a chance because the car is out of test for 6 months before you are trying to book.

If stopped the member of AGS might let you off or might not.

It's up to you once you assess the risk.

I should have added maybe you would consider the advice about getting an earlier test outlined in posts above.

Then you could relax and enjoy the Summer 🌞

Just get a test passed its been explained how easy it is to get one if you make the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't chance driving around with an expired NCT for over a year and saying you have a booking for 6 months from now. The AGS are using digression and common sense with the current NCT delays but that just gives the impression of taking the piss out of it imo.

It has already been mentioned a few times through out this thread that if you log on to the NCT booking site around 23:30 any night, the NCT release a batch of available dates usually for the proceeding week. Just be ready to take the test in the next couple of days. The alternative is ring them and get put on the priority list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Madd002

My NCT was due in April. You can book in within 3 months of that date. I went online in January and October was nearest date. So I went onto priority list which guaranteed an appointment date within 30days and if not you are entitled to free test.Contacted them by phone in March to say I didn't receive app in said 30days and would like a free NCT, her response was I'll have to give you an email address for that department. Now the day I rang was the day that tha NCT was in the news for 3,000 no shows around the country.

I told lady I was 20mins from 2 centres and could go if any came up for any day. There is no cancellation list only if you ring up to check, she told me however she could see a cancellation for 16th April which I gladly took. I didnt proceed with free nct as date I got was only 1 week after it was due and it's not her fault.

I received a txt and 6wks later I was going through texts on a Sunday night and realized I had the nct next day. There are no reminder txt or emails so I'm not surprised theres over 3,000 no shows it is very easy to forget.

I said this to nct guy next day, the centre was filthy and he was doing all the admin in between testing he said they have to do all now as they got rid of Admin that used to be there, so tests every 15mins and 5 mins doing the admin and theres 4 of them each having to pop in and then 5/6 people arriving need checking in and documents taken. He agreed theres no cancellation list or reminders and said I was right and there lies the problem.

Lke even my dentist/hygienist/beautician/ hairdresser calls or texts day before to remind & confirm. Your charged if you dont show up.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be booking her in then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

A hilariously sh*t system that is absolutely not fit for purpose.... I see no reason at all to keep this within a strictly limited system when you in the country just across the sea you can get the MOT done in MILLIONS of locations.

I was due to expire in April, got an appointment in late November.... Called in a few weeks later and cancelled and requested a priority. A month later I get an appointment on the 26th May.

laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭M3CS

What's the criteria for getting a free test now? I've been on the priority list for 7 weeks and haven't heard a thing from them yet. I've called up twice to see if there's been any cancellations and been fobbed off. I've tried booking through the website at 11:30pm three times but when a time does appear I fill out my details and get a message then saying it's no longer available. It's a complete and utter joke that this is what we need to do just to book a **** roadworthiness test.

Last night at 11:45 there was a number of slots available for 3-4 days time in my local centre. During the day it says November is the earliest. A test is definitely more accessible than the headlines would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dublingreen

My NCT expires end of July, next available booking at my local centre says mid January next year, is it too early to apply for priority list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Check the website at around 11.30pm and you may have a whole load of appointments to choose from. Has been said on this thread multiple times and it works as several people have managed to get appointments that way within a few days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement