Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this build - opinions welcome

Options
  • 05-01-2023 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

I've debated every single part of this machine. But I think I'm fairly happy with this and the price for what I'm getting.

I have the keyboard, mouse, monitor and OS sorted already. It's the rest I'm looking at. I'm mainly trying to keep this below e3k. I'm not just buying from Amazon or the others below. I'm shopping with Case King and Tech Next Day on some parts.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor (£478.63 @ Amazon UK) 

CPU Cooler: Lian Li GALAHAD AIO 360 RGB UNI FAN SL120 EDITION 58.54 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£197.02 @ Amazon UK) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 GAMING X AX (rev. 1.0) ATX AM5 Motherboard (£281.25 @ Technextday) 

Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory (£134.43 @ CCL Computers) 

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£99.69 @ Technextday) 

Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card (£1188.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (£99.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Power Supply: NZXT C1000 (2022) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£135.92 @ CCL Computers) 

Operating System (HAVE): Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit (£99.00 @ Amazon UK) 

Case Fan: Lian Li ST120 69.17 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack (£41.41 @ Amazon UK) 

Monitor (HAVE): HUAWEI MateView GT Sound Edition 34.0" 3440 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor (£575.00 @ Amazon UK) 

Keyboard (HAVE): ROCCAT Pyro RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard 

Mouse (HAVE): ROCCAT KONE Pro Air Wireless Optical Mouse (£99.40 @ Amazon UK) 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/N6jKDq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jon Doe

Max memory speed for that is 5200, are you going to overclock? (Please don't waste you time...) Why are you getting the 670? You seem to have very few IO devices... Get the B650E, that way you get PCIe5 from the get go. Also, out of curiosity why do you need a 12c/24t CPU?... If this is for gaming cut down the CPU core count and get yourself a nice VR set. At 3k€ that's a must...

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

My main comment on the build would be that the SSD seems odd, you could get save quite a bit or even get 2TB for very little more with say a KIOXIA EXCERIA G2 or you could get a nice pci-e 4.0 drive (e.g. 980 Pro or Corsair MP600 Pro) for maybe €10 more. I don't think I could bring myself to spend money on the Lian Li stuff but I never really care about aesthetics so I'll leave that there ;)

As for Jon Doe:

Stock ram speed is 5200, max speed on that board is 6400 and it supports both expo and xmp. Running ram faster than stock speeds may technically be overclocking but it is so normalised even Intel have in unlocked on all but their most cut-down chipset and AMD even pre-announced that their opinion was that DDR5-6000 (and I think they mentioned CL30) was the sweet spot for Ryzen 4 on launch. Exactly what ram is actually worth buying comes down to the prices but on a €3k build cheaping out on the ram and not enabling the overclocking profile makes no sense.

And thinking a nice VR set is a must on a €3k budget means I guess you have lost all sight of reality from living inside the metaverse? If you want to explain your delusion then tell us what nice VR set you could buy from the savings of switching from a 7900X to a 7600X? You won't even get a nice set with the full price of the 7900x.

Yeah I have to agree on the SSD... you could do better than the Evo Plus on a 3k machine... :P As for overclocking, as a general rule of thumb my advice is don't. If it works you'll hardly even notice it, if it doesn't it's a never ending nightmare. But that's just my preference. In the metaverse where I live I can get a GPU for 1K€, a VR set for another 1k€ and I can manage to build a pretty good gaming PC for 1K€ (minus the GPU...). So yeah. I can build a pretty decent gaming PC with a VR set for 3k€. Have you considered that maybe you are not looking hard enough in your metaverse?

Enabling the XMP/expo profile to run the ram at it's rated speed is such a routine, basic, safe and uncontentious thing to do you'll find any good reviewer castigating pre-built manufacturers when they don't bother. It varies across games what sort of difference you see from it but from default speed to sweet spot DDR5 on AM5 is generally 5%-10% in nearly everything but cpu benchmarks, so similar to most gpu level changes for gaming but cheaper.

€1k is a lot more then you get back from cutting down the cpu core count which is the first big hole in your original VR suggestion. You forgot the €430 (probably, hopefully not more) 1440p curved 165Hz ultrawide in your €1000 gpu, €1000 VR and €1000 PC attempt to come up with a new suggestion to defend your "VR is a must in a €3k build". Out here in the real world the tiny fraction of people making a post like the OP who would actually want or even consider a VR set as part of their build would mention it so you suggesting it's a must that they knock €1000 off their build (so actually down to €1500 for PC including gpu) to get one isn't helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I would wait 1 month for 7900X3D to release & change the cooler to Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm for half the price.

Also you can safely knock off 100 quid for Windows from your build IYKWIM 😉

• Advertisement

As far as OC'ing I still hold the opinion that it's useless. It makes no difference on everyday usage. And you're better off saving the money you'd spend on OC components - of course there's always low hanging fruit, but still...

Right, right... sorry I thought the "Monitor (HAVE)" meant the OP already had the screen. FYI I'm not trying to help - I'm just giving my opinion. I could say "I'm sorry if my opinion offends you". But I won't.

Low hanging fruit like running ram at xmp/expo speeds which does make a difference in everyday usage.

I'm pretty sure they do indeed have the screen but are including everything in the list in their 3k target.

"I'm not trying to help" sums up well enough so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cornholio509

i dont see anything particularily wrong with your build . THat said Your ssd is pcie gen 3 . I would go for a pcie gen 4 ssd . SHould only be 10-15 euro in the difference .

I would say wait for the new AMD CPU's . THat said the 7000 series has been a letdown compred to 5000 series processors . So i would advise you to wait until benchmarks become available for the 7900 X3D and Non X cpu . I think waiting a month isnt going to cost anything . Then make an informed decission . As for the rest of the system go ahead .

As for XMP/EXPO . Just seen as that arguement was brought up . AMD cpus using ZEN architecture benifit from faster ram speeds as much as a CPU overclock . A few FPS more is still a few FPS more not matter what they usecase .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Thanks! And I do indeed know what you mean ;) I just left it in my list so I don't forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Thanks all for the discussion. I've ended up getting this setup with a few tweaks (including dropping Lian Li for Corsair and getting an 80 Plus Platinum 1000 instead of the Gold 850 (really down to availability)).

I was going to upgrade the SSD but I can do that later. I was already overshooting on price substantially from this idea being a fantasy to a line in my bank statement. While I don't intend to run anything significant from them, I forgot about an old 8TB WD My Cloud I had lying around. That has two 4TB drives that I can lock into the case for junk storage to help maximise the SSD for just program usage. Any software that will fling documents and files off to a drive automatically or tricks welcome!

Bookmarking that KIOXIA SSD for future reference though. Looks tidy.

On VR - I have an Oculus Quest 2. Don't plan to use it very much, but it'll do the job for Flight SIM. It wasn't a primary consideration but I'm sure the rig will run it just fine. I do already have the Huawei monitor. It was one of the driving factors behind it - I need a build to live up to my screen!

Now to wait and see if my GPU runs at 110 degrees C or not! I'll post an update once my rig is built. An Post seems to be handling the UK parts fairly well so far which is a surprise! Amazon UK is a beast for this too. As much as I dislike Bezos.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/K8cvtn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor (£359.81 @ Technextday) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i RGB ELITE 65.57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£141.60 @ CCL Computers) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 GAMING X AX (rev. 1.0) ATX AM5 Motherboard (£281.25 @ Technextday) 

Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory (£132.65 @ MoreCoCo) 

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£99.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card (£1188.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (£99.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Power Supply: Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£186.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit (£115.00 @ Amazon UK) 

Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB ELITE 47.7 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack (£52.99 @ AWD-IT) 

Monitor: HUAWEI MateView GT Sound Edition 34.0" 3440 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor (£499.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Keyboard: ROCCAT Pyro RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard 

Mouse: ROCCAT KONE Pro Air Wireless Optical Mouse (£99.40 @ Amazon UK) 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Very interested in how you find that specific GPU as it's on my possible radar too

Advertisement