Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any supermarkets in D15 open after 10pm now?

Options
  • 04-01-2023 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

On my way home tonight I decided to swing by Tesco in Roselawn only to find that they now close at 10pm. It was bad enough when it went from 24 hours to midnight but 10pm is in line with the latest of the other supermarkets in the area. Petrol stations and Spars that I can think of are all closed at 10 or earlier. Is there somewhere I'm missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭victor8600

Open (window till) 24 hours, but the choice of groceries is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nope.

Its just not worth their while. The cost of keeping the lights on and having till staff and security is simply too high.

In fact I'd estimate that there are less than 10 convenience stores in the whole City that open 24 Hours anymore. A couple around Dame Street, O'Connell St, Wexford St, but nothing in the suburbs. Maybe the odd large petrol station that serves truckers.

M3 Maxol will provide fuel 24 Hours, but I'm pretty sure you can't access the shop after 10 or 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's not 24 hours I meant, we lost that years ago but midnight was really handy. It was always busy after 10 but you had to navigate the pallets of stuff in every aisle as the shelves were restocked

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Feck, looks like Tesco Clarehall and Finglas both have moved from 11pm to 10pm, I suppose the business isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

I was hoping they'd put the extended hours back after things relaxed again after covid but the staffing difficulties and other increased costs look like they'll go on forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Eurospar Beggars Bush is 24/7, though not handy for D15.

Outside City Centre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

A late night shop and chemist at Junction 6 would be swell. Across from a hospital, served by two 24hr buses, N3, and M50.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Disappointing and there should be one, the business would be there I think.

The closest 24 hour shop I think is the centra in Stoneybatter , and that's on the 39A route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

I'd say the main reason they're closing at 10pm is that they can't sell alcohol after that time, and it's probably not worth the hassle to either rope off the off licence or argue with those who chance their arm after hours.

I'm not in D15, but there are no late openers where I am either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

They open early on Sunday mornings so that's not the reason. Also their alcohol section is easily closed and the off licence hours are years old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Possibly due to staffing as much as a lack of footfall I'd say. If they have fewer people working for them then they'll be able to cover fewer shifts. Late nights might have been their least busy times so the first to get the chop. Or maybe the business just wasn't there to justify staffing the whole shop for an extra hour or two.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's extremely frustrating and a real reduction in the level of service to people who work unusual/night shifts in Dublin 15 that Tesco Roselawn now closes at 10pm.

Stores have been closing earlier since the Covid lockdowns in 2020/2021 - but since then they are keeping earlier closing hours as I believe getting staff is the key problem here due to the housing crisis and the general employment situation being good. The demand for later opening hours is definitely there given how busy Roselawn can be at night when I've been up there.

It's a real inconvenience that Dublin 15 does not have a 24 hour supermarket or one that opens until midnight - or even a 24 hour convenience store. 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Thanks for the info re Centra Stoneybatter. Would be handy for anything urgent. (I'm in Ashtown).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Security issues would probably make staff nervous about 24-hour working. Such are the long-term effects of certain incidents involving shop workers being attacked in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Forget 22:00 in Roselawn, they start shutting down much earlier which makes a mockery of their advertised opening hours.

Was there last night at about 21:25 and of course the scan as you shop was closed early, I've had numerous complaints with the store "manager" as to why they close these early and have never been given a credible explanation. On a couple of occasions the justification was due to a lack of staff which is partly their purpose, to cut down the need for checkout staff having to scan everything while you race to unload, bag and reload the trolley. Even their FAQ section states "The service is available in selected stores between 8am–10pm", well no it's not in Roselawn.

Anyway did the shop and there were announcements every 5 mins to advise customers the store would be closing in 30, 25mins etc. Got to the checkouts to meet the same store manager who now advised all checkouts were closed and the only option was the self checkouts. Queue of maybe 10 customers at the self checkouts with all sorts of problems scanning items and machines not accepting cash/card. Very tempted to leave the trolley there and walk out only I've have to return and repeat the process all over again. Eventually completed the inefficient shop but there was a poor customer beside me who had a massive trolley going through each item trying to scan them and calling over the assistant when problems arose.

I left the shop at 21:45 and the queue for the self checkouts had increased further and there were plenty of customers still entering with trolleys. Looked to be plenty of staff about but Tesco, Roselawn is such a poorly managed store I wouldn't be surprised if they have staff retention problems and hours will be curtailed even further.

Advertisement