Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferred to new dept

Options
  • 04-01-2023 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

Apologies but I may have posted this in wrong forum. Advice would be appreciated

Hi all, I'll keep this as vague as I can. Won't be naming company or anything. I work in a sector (public hse) we've been hammered throughout the lockdown with staffing issues, mostly covid sickness related early on but the last year has been staffing related. No staff to cover shifts, I felt some dangerous practices were starting to become normalised. Staff staying on past their shift (24hrs) so basically going back to back. Also the habit of contacting rostered staff while off shift became a regular occurrence. The people we support were suffering as a result.

It came to a head in July, I contacted HR on way home to communicate my frustration. They thanked me for contacting them directly and said they'd pass on my concerns/frustrations. About a week or so later the area manager contacted me to respond to my concerns. He tried to disagree with me but I explained what I felt was happening. He said possibly the dept/house I work in has too many staff on my contracted hours (they're exactly the same for the last 7 years by the way) he thanked me for ringing me and we left it at that. 4 weeks later my manager contacted me and said I was being transferred.

I immediately initiated a grievance procedure and it's been back and forth ever since. I communicated that this feels like a punishment for daring to highlight what is blindingly obvious to everyone. My hours are way worse where I am now and as a result its very hard to take

I've documented everything through email and nothing has been challenged by HR or area manager other than his outrage that I could think he was being vindictive. I've requested that I be returned to previous position. This has been refused on the grounds that such a position isn't any longer available despite 3 staff being moved there since I was transferred. I've linked with union and they are prepared to support me through this

I'm aware I've positioned a very large x on my back but there's no going back now. Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

If your union is wiling to support you, then straight to the WRC. Don't bother trying to reason with them further, you've tried that. You have all the proof you need, documented correspondence, dangerous work conditions etc.

Advertisement